Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Helix.

fretmeister

[quote name='Dapper Bandit' timestamp='1492707462' post='3282620']
Did any of you current Helix owning chaps use the POD HD series previously and if so did you find it a major step up in terms of quality?

I only ask as I currently have the desktop bean thing and whilst it's alright this latest update is making a Helix look very tempting...
[/quote]

I had a HD500X before the Helix. For pub gigs there's not all that much in the tone really but the Helix is massively more usable - Scribble Strips, Snapshots... make a big difference. For my use the quality in sounds is less important.

Helix LT is looking very enticing, especially as I am gigging with In-Ears more and more. Shame I don't have two buttons to my name to rub together right now. Looks like a nice piece of kit in reviews.

Just spent nearly two hours in my local music shop plugged in to the Line 6 Helix LT. I wanted a bit more time to figure stuff out on it, but I can see it replacing pretty much my whole pedal board. Even the stuff sat in my cupboard too. Very good indeed - and it didn't even have the latest firmware on.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1493628697' post='3289459']
Helix LT is looking very enticing, especially as I am gigging with In-Ears more and more. Shame I don't have two buttons to my name to rub together right now. Looks like a nice piece of kit in reviews.
[/quote]

How is it we always end up going down similar paths gear wise :lol:

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1493795770' post='3290643']
How is it we always end up going down similar paths gear wise :lol:
[/quote]

We are of the enlightened few :) he he!

I missed out on a deal on the Helix LT yesterday, I'm thinking about selling my current board to make up some pennies. It's a tough choice though!

If it helps - now that it's got a bigger choice of compressors and drive pedals I haven't turned my regular board on. The only thing the Helix can't do very well at the moment is a synth sound like the BSW. Other than that, I don't need anything else.

I have the full fat rack and floor controller, but I'm thinking of selling off my old pedal board and getting an LT as a back up / easy carry option.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1493813974' post='3290855']
If it helps - now that it's got a bigger choice of compressors and drive pedals I haven't turned my regular board on. The only thing the Helix can't do very well at the moment is a synth sound like the BSW. Other than that, I don't need anything else.

I have the full fat rack and floor controller, but I'm thinking of selling off my old pedal board and getting an LT as a back up / easy carry option.
[/quote]

I have all of my pedals out on the floor at the moment trying to decide what's going to be the best option. Do I really need the LT? - well, I would LOVE to get a pair of FR800's and the LT. That would be me done really I suppose (love that volume control on the top panel!!) - but that purchase is going to be a very, very distant dream!

I just picked up a Yamaha DXR10 powered cab to use with it.

I anticipated only using it for guitar so I could get rid of my power amp and Zilla cab, but it is surprisingly effective for bass too, even on 5 string.

It really recreates the IR and cab sim differences. Got it sounding like my DG M900 + barefaced rig in about 20 mins. Very happy.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1493588172' post='3289330']
I had a HD500X before the Helix. For pub gigs there's not all that much in the tone really but the Helix is massively more usable - Scribble Strips, Snapshots... make a big difference. For my use the quality in sounds is less important.
[/quote]
[quote name='dood' timestamp='1493931242' post='3292007']
I have all of my pedals out on the floor at the moment trying to decide what's going to be the best option. Do I really need the LT? - well, I would LOVE to get a pair of FR800's and the LT. That would be me done really I suppose (love that volume control on the top panel!!) - but that purchase is going to be a very, very distant dream!
[/quote]

Thanks Iain, the sound is the most important for Me not sure I need the fancy stuff Squabble? Snapshot? -- So the sound quality is similar???

Dood what are FR800's???

Brendan

FR800 is the Barefaced FRFR powered cab.

FRFR is Full Range Flat Response. It's the ideal amplification type if you want to use software simulations of cabinets. If you don't then you turn those simulations off and use any old amp (power section) and your existing cab. I use mine both ways depending on what I fancy.

The sound quality is a massive hike over previous L6 kit. The software per model is over 4 times as large with far more information.

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' timestamp='1494240448' post='3294177']
Thanks Iain, the sound is the most important for Me not sure I need the fancy stuff Squabble? Snapshot? -- So the sound quality is similar???

Dood what are FR800's???

Brendan
[/quote]
[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1494241519' post='3294197']
FR800 is the Barefaced FRFR powered cab.

FRFR is Full Range Flat Response. It's the ideal amplification type if you want to use software simulations of cabinets. If you don't then you turn those simulations off and use any old amp (power section) and your existing cab. I use mine both ways depending on what I fancy.

The sound quality is a massive hike over previous L6 kit. The software per model is over 4 times as large with far more information.
[/quote]

What my man Fretmeister says :) :)

http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/FR800.htm

So curiosity got the better of me and I have a Helix rack incoming!

Didn't have chance to try on out prior as I live on an island and one music shop we have doesn't really do it for me but as my POD HD is starting to give up the ghost I feel confident this was the right move.

Make sure you update the firmware to 2.21

The new bass toys are in this release (The Pearce BC1, the Sunn, the Acoustic amps, the B7KU, the Wounded Paw drive & fuzz and the new compressors) so when you turn it on, if the screen shows a smaller number than 2.21 do the update.

And then forget all you know about routing options. Do you want a fuzz pedal AFTER your speaker sim? What about a wah after the reverb after the amp? Or maybe put the bitcrusher on it all.

Experiment and release the madness!

Oh yeah, definitely planning on updating straight off the bat! Not on Facebook but apparently I can have a little browse though the group and there is certainly some food for thought to be found there.

Not going to lie, I'm pretty excited about getting this, more than I have for a new piece of gear for quite a while!

So it arrived on Friday and I've put a few hours in on it so far.

I've got to say that I am very impressed. A little background, I am out of playing live for the foreseeable future so this is a headphone amp/recording interface and for me there is a marked increase in quality over the HD series. The amps (doubly so for guitar) have a lot more depth and space to them. The effects quality is much improved (the bubble vibrato sounds really close to my VB-2W as one example). I've no reason to think this would be any different used as a preamp with a FRFR setup.

Only really messed around with the factory presets so far but as of now I would say this was a wise investment!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' timestamp='1494240448' post='3294177']
[/quote]

Scribble Strips - little displays under each footswitch that have the name of the assigned FX or toggle. colour coded too - you don't have to remember what you have assigned to the switch.

Snapshots - complete sets of 'stuff' assigned to a single switch - think of is as saving the current settings over the entire signal chain - this can be changing anything from what fx are on to individual parameters. It's literally a snapshot of that point in time. You might set up snapshots for intro, verses, chorus, solo... that way you press 1 switch and change loads of stuff rather than the classic tap-dance to turn on a bunch of different pedals...

Sound quality on the Helix is way better than the 500 - my point was the gigs I play the difference isn't likely to be all that noticeable given the nature of pubs.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1494930590' post='3299622']
Can't believe the money you idiots are spending on these when you could have just bought a Zoom B1 instead :-D
[/quote]

At least You would have a decent range of amp models!!! LOL

B

Edited by Sonic_Groove

[quote name='Tripehound' timestamp='1501495800' post='3344970']
What is the view on the choice between the Helix and the Helix LT? I'm trying to decide whether the scribble strips and the extra I/O is worth 300-odd squid, money that could go towards an FR800....
[/quote]

Full fat also generates a massive discount for the Helix Native plug in which is due later this year. Like $99 instead of $299