Why become a member? ×

Can you use a standard Wah Pedal?

Tenty

Some work better than others. I had a Morley guitar wah a few years ago that worked okay but the frequency response on dedicated bass wahs does generally work better.
Like a lot of effects designed for guitar though you might get some loss of low end too. My EHX Crying Bass for example has a low pass filter which helps with this like a blend control on a bass overdrive. If you have a guitar wah already that you were thinking of using then there's certainly no harm in giving it a try.
If you're looking to buy then I'd say you're probably better off with an actual bass wah if possible - buying used should level the playing field a bit between the cost of a bass wah against a guitar wah.

What Painy said.

Some guitar wahs are awesome on bass - the Ibanez Weeping Demon is by far my favourite - the controls make it easy to dial in for bass.

But then again I also have the Morley Cliff Burton sig power fuzz wah - when the fuzz is on it's great on bass. On guitar it is great.

But without the fuzz it is rubbish on bass. It's a very specific tool to get the Burton tone. No good for funk!

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1442913117' post='2870381']
I've been using an ibanez weeping demon for about 10 years or so.
It's a wah which has settings for both bass and guitar, but I find I'm using the guitar setting as it really gives me the 'scream' I'm looking for.
[/quote]
I used to have a Weeping Demon. It's a great pedal!!
If memory serves it was ridiculously cheap and worth every penny, very tweakable and obliterated the Morley dual bass wah I'd owned prior to that.
The only reason I sold it was because I got an MF 101.

Hi Tenty,

If on a budget, I'd recommend a Behringer hell babe (don't be put off by the name or how cheap it is). It has adjustments for frequency, frequency sweep, etc and even has a boost switch or solos. Only £30.00 quid or so and I think has more bang for buck than any other pedals I've seen. Had mine for years and have no issues with reliability. Seem to get favourable reviews too if you do a google search.

http://www.woodbrass.com/en/effet-guitare-electrique-pedale-wah-behringer-hellbabe-hb01-p20330-af833-gbp.html?gclid=CPmdhMycjcgCFSYUwwodTXkI9g

• 4 weeks later...