Why become a member? ×

Artists with no filter

Low End Bee

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1442854714' post='2870036']
Tom Waits
[/quote]
Not sure I want to agree but I do know where you are coming from.
Many of the "artists" that have been mentioned are exactly that, artists. They are knocking out music purely as an expression form and are not intending it to be popular or widely accepted. It must be a great position to be in.

I envy their balls and bet my own balls that they don't give a shight about what any of us think. In the case of Tom Waits, if you look at songs like ol 55 for example. It's a perfect song arranged beautifully with amazing melody etc etc.... There's only so many of them you can write before it starts to lose its kick or edge and you begin to search for something different or some other channel of expression. I take my hat off to them, I may not like the music but I doubt very much if it's about taste or the lack of.

I bet if you asked Tom waits to knock you up a few songs that people would relate to and would be widely accepted. Mellifluous songs with regular form, he'd do it standing on his head if he could be arsed.

I would add a lot of artists that are now dead and that any old demo is being rehashed to sell, into the list here, so whilst the artist may have had a filter, it is a shame that those handling the legacy do not (Jimi Hendrix springs to mind big time here)

Phil Lynott!!!! what?? Actually I can agree to retain extent lol. ~But Still a legend though!

I do love Lizzy and Lynott but I'd have to concede that his solo output had a few "that really made it past the demo , did it?" moments. For every King's Call there is a Talk In 79 (oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...). Was listening to a Grand Slam song the other day and it was just pitiful...

He'll still always be my fave bassist and Lizzy will still be my fave band, though...

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1442954898' post='2870971']
John Lennon. His filter wore increasingly thin as time passed. Either that or Yoko Ono was wearing it down.
[/quote]
Perhaps. I think some of his finest work came in his solo years. A lot of it self indulgent and introspective but he didn't care he had money in the bank and plenty of time (or so he thought). Poor fella. A definite waste.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1442964696' post='2871055']

Perhaps. I think some of his finest work came in his solo years. A lot of it self indulgent and introspective but he didn't care he had money in the bank and plenty of time (or so he thought). Poor fella. A definite waste.
[/quote]

You are entirely right. A lot of artists branch out (descend?) into self-indulgence when they have reached the top. It is a very fine and subjective line between genius and pretentiousness. Many artists in all creative milieus (milieux?) who have died before their time may have seen their reputations saved by not descending into artistic self-parody. Would Freddie Mercury be as revered as he is if he were still with us? As a life-long Queen fan I wonder if 70 year old Freddie would an object of artistic derision. Who knows.

I do wonder why people 'burn out' creatively as they move forward. I guess some of it is that they get bored of doing the 'same' thing all of the time. I always have cursory listen to new Iron Maiden LPs as I was into them when Paul Diannio was the singer and I always find myself thinking 'isn't Steve Harris bored by now'? :lol: I have similar thoughts about Rush and others. When you look at bands like Yes and Genesis who moved from long forms to shorter 'song' orientated material, you can see why they decide to try and look at things from new angles. Same with people like Joni Mitchell, Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel... You have to keep changing to remain relevant and to keep yourself interested. The fact is, if you move away from that which made you succesfful, you are inevitably taking a risk. But doing something different doesn't mean it has to be bad and some people just do bad stuff as their mojo is compromised.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1442913937' post='2870387']
Oh, and of course Clapton - however did he allow Layla to be recorded, let alone released?!
[/quote]

You do mean the awful acoustic version rather than the masterful electric version, don't you?

David Bowie, there's another one.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1443027376' post='2871639']

You do mean the awful acoustic version rather than the masterful electric version, don't you?

[/quote]

I'd wager the original. Passable up until the piano outro. Then the banshee slide duet that is quite simply hideous.

[/quote]

HaHa, one man's masterful electric version is obviously another's dreadful, tuneless cacophony :o

[/quote]

I confess to liking most Bowie's stuff and while there are some albums I like less than others, at least he hasn't spent the last 30 years playing the same few hits at his concerts.