Why become a member? ×

SOLD*** 1999 very early US Lakland Joe Osborne - Celebrity owned
£1700

drums1977

I thought I would never do this. Some time ago I decided to look for a Jbass as nice as my 1962 Fender, but not as expensive, so I could take it to gigs without pooing my pants. I went through many, but in the end I found it. Unsurprisingly, it was an US Lakland. A very early one, from 1999 (serial number 107!), Joe Osborne model, now called 44-60. This bass does sound, plays and feels ALMOST EXACTLY like my '62. The PUs (Fralins I believe) are just insane. Pure calssic JB heaven. And the neck is a work of art. I invite anyone interested to come to my house and A-B the two. It's simply amazing how similar -close to identical- they are. Back in the late 90s Lakland wanted to prove the were making the best PreCBS replicas in the market (far better than the best CS, and I've had a few of those too), and they made it. In complete honesty, 60s style JBasses just don't get better than this. Really.

What makes this one particularly special is the fact that it was originally made for a very famous Fender bassist (who even has his own CS signature model). He played it happily for many years, but sold it in the end (less than two years ago) because Fender wouldn't let him be seen with a Lakland. He changed the stacked knobs with the current VVT controls. The original stacked pots, knobs and capacitors are included, as well as the original PU cover. Only kind-of-noticeable blemish is on the bottom of the body, check out the photos. Apart from that only a few normal marks of use (this bass has been loved and played a lot for obvious reasons). I would say condition is 8/10 in general. It weights 4,1 Kg, very nicely balanced.

Full gallery of images [url="http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/roquefort2000/library/1999%20US%20Lakland%20JO?sort=3&page=1"]HERE[/url].

[url="http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/roquefort2000/media/1999%20US%20Lakland%20JO/DSC_0183_zpsp2gqktzb.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/roquefort2000/media/1999%20US%20Lakland%20JO/DSC_0172_zpsvuicu1da.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by drums1977

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1442826053' post='2869651']
C'mon. You have to tell us who it is. After all, you're using the celebrity connection as a selling point. It surely doesn't need everyone pm'ing you.
[/quote]

The reason why I am not sharing that information publicly is that I didn't buy the bass directly from "him". Another player had it for a few months before I got it, and I got the information about the original buyer's identity from that second owner. I have no way of asking the "mystery guy" for permission to tell everyone this was his bass, and I think it is just rude and inappropriate to use his name publicly without asking first. That is the reason why I share that information with potential buyers only. Thanks for understanding.

[quote name='rodney72a' timestamp='1442878304' post='2870266']
Original case included?
[/quote]

As seen in the photos and in the description, the bass does not come with a OHSC. It will be very safely packed and shipped. It will go in an used gig bag too for extra protection.

[quote name='drums1977' timestamp='1442864040' post='2870131']
The reason why I am not sharing that information publicly is that I didn't buy the bass directly from "him". Another player had it for a few months before I got it, and I got the information about the original buyer's identity from that second owner. I have no way of asking the "mystery guy" for permission to tell everyone this was his bass, and I think it is just rude and inappropriate to use his name publicly without asking first. That is the reason why I share that information with potential buyers only. Thanks for understanding.
[/quote]

Fair enough. hope the sale goes well. :)