Why become a member? ×

Fenders are rubbish......But

Thunderbird

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1442864489' post='2870135']
I think Leo had something when he created the precision, then the Jazz, then the stingray and then g&l.
The proof must be in what people actually play.
I don't see many Just, Sandberg, Lakland, Sadowsky or Wals.
But I do see an awful lot of Fenders.
[/quote]
Maybe it's because there are a lot more Fenders actually in existence than any of those other brands? :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gazzatriumph

I always used Fender P's but tried a Warwick Corvette $$ and loved the sound and feel, I sold my Shuker P Bass and a Fender Deluxe P to get two German Warwick Corvette $$'s and I'm well happy with them and cant see me changing. The Fender Deluxe was fine just preferred the Warwick sound. One thing though about Fenders is that I read so much about finding a good one, surely they should all be good at the price they sell for, no exceptions.

[quote name='gazzatriumph' timestamp='1443800047' post='2877857']
One thing though about Fenders is that I read so much about finding a good one, surely they should all be good at the price they sell for, no exceptions.
[/quote]

Yep, Fender QC gets a lot of stick, and deservedly so imo. You just have to kiss a lot of 'frogs' until you find your 'prince'.

[quote name='gazzatriumph' timestamp='1443800047' post='2877857']
I always used Fender P's but tried a Warwick Corvette $$ and loved the sound and feel, I sold my Shuker P Bass and a Fender Deluxe P to get two German Warwick Corvette $$'s and I'm well happy with them and cant see me changing. The Fender Deluxe was fine just preferred the Warwick sound. One thing though about Fenders is that I read so much about finding a good one, surely they should all be good at the price they sell for, no exceptions.
[/quote] This is a very good post :)

i don't agree with it but fender set the standard. The amount of time i was asked "don't you have a P with flat wounds?" or "and a J maybe???" ... I basically cannot count...

That's also gotta do with lazy engineers (in my opinion) who don't like to go out of their way and learn about EQ'ing something new.

so yeah people should own one to keep people giving jobs happy if they intend to make some kind of money.

You can afford to play whatever you wish if you are Victor W or somebody like that, but reality is most people are nowhere close to his abilities :D ...

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1443915114' post='2878731']
Going back to when we all started playing bet you 90% of us lusted after fender basses...
[/quote]

I actually had the opposite experience... When I first started playing the in mid 90s in death metal bands, I can't think of a brand I liked less that fender. They were regarded as old fashioned and mostly for dad rock pub bands. I was so embarrassed by my squier that I sanded the logo off the headstock.

It's only in recent years that I've come to appreciate the solid simplicity of the fender designs, particularly the P bass with flats thing.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1444146484' post='2880657']
I love Fenders but why does everyone go on about the Fender with flats amazing sound? I like the amazing sound of a Fender with rounds!
[/quote]

I use rounds and a mute at the bridge.....i suppose it's the halfway house but i like the sound.

Fenders are cool....watch Jools Holland and you will see loads of them... particularly basses. They have also been around for over half a century and have been in the hands of some of the worlds most talented and famous (in some cases infamous) musicians. Think Fender and think Strat/Tele and Precision/Jazz. Think Gibson and think Les Paul.............??? you get my point. Someone above will cane me for that but it's true, Gibson nailed the guitar thing with the Les Paul, but couldn't quite compete with Fender on the Bass front. Over the years Fender has managed somehow to thrive by issuing hundreds of variations on a theme, stnd, deluxe, RI, PJ, Cowpoke, Blacktop, Modern Player, FSR, hand stained, the list goes on and on and on. I can't think of another brand (of anything) which has done what Fender has done quite so successfully.

[quote name='Shonks' timestamp='1444319217' post='2882228']
Fender basses changed the world.
The design is so fantastic it's hardly changed over the years and all the brilliant boutique basses out there, while being master built, are mostly Fender copies lets face it.
[/quote]

This!

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1444329874' post='2882358']
I exclusively use a Fender Precision, great for punk, but there would be no other Bass manufacturers if they suited everybody, each to their own, 5 pages of pointlessness really
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1443915114' post='2878731']
Going back to when we all started playing bet you 90% of us lusted after fender basses ,right I'm off to lust over a white p bass!
[/quote]
That's me. When I was about fifteen I used to get the train from Cov to Brum on a Saturday morning primarily to stare at a Fender P-bass that hung from the wall in Woodroffe's music store! Black with a rosewood neck.

Took me years to finally own a Fender (started off with an Avon Jazz bass copy) and once I owned a proper Fender I never really wanted anything else..

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1444329874' post='2882358']
I exclusively use a Fender Precision, great for punk, but there would be no other Bass manufacturers if they suited everybody, each to their own, 5 pages of pointlessness really
[/quote]with that in mind...this whole site is pointless...hahaha!! except the market place......( I bet I get a lot of stick for this little comment...!) :ph34r:

Edited by Shonks

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1444229496' post='2881364']
Fenders are Think Fender and think Strat/Tele and Precision/Jazz. Think Gibson and think Les Paul.............??? you get my point. Someone above will cane me for that but it's true[/quote]

Well, if we are talking about guitars, there is the small matter of the SG, 330 and 335 that Gibson also make. Michael J Fox wasn't playing a Strat or a Les Paul in BTTF.

I reckon the Flying V must be pretty high up there in the iconicity chart, too.

I did used to have a Fender Aerodyne which was a Japanese-made one and was very good. But I found it either boomy (neck pickup) or twangy (bridge pickup) and came to love the sound of the midrange from the Warwick I had. Now when I play Fender I am always trying to boost the mids to hear what I am playing / get more definition.

In any case I sold the Fender to a friend who still has it, so one day when I miss it I can buy it back. Might take some use getting used to the fretboard radius compared to the Warwicks though (which are flat flat flat flat). One thing that was very easy on the Fender was slapping and popping for my inaccurate playing and fat hands, as the string spacing was very wide. And it looked good. Some guitarists I played with didn't like non-Fender headstocks (???? crazy eh????) because to them a bass should have a massive Fender headstock and giant tuning pegs. Weird eh!

Interestingly, if you watch the Sadowsky video on YouTube, Roger states that when you looked in the musician union's book for session players, it was divided into "upright bass" and "Fender bass", and studio engineers were mostly used to working with Fenders. So if you turned up with a non-Fender, they were prejudiced against you and you didn't get called back because it took them longer to get a familiar sound from the unfamiliar bass. Everyone knows what sound you'll get from a Fender P or J, including engineers at that time. For fast work and jingles, taking longer to get a decent sound was obviously a bad thing.

He also makes an interesting point that he only puts bass/treble boosts on his preamps (thanks Aguilar) as midrange sounds good to the player but not necessarily the audience. That's probably why I now find I can't get a sound I like out of the Fenders I try.

But at least Fender is an instantly recognisable sound and a basic set up which we probably all start on at least, mainly because there's so many of them (and clones!).

[quote name='Shonks' timestamp='1444319217' post='2882228']
Fender basses changed the world.
The design is so fantastic it's hardly changed over the years and all the brilliant boutique basses out there, while being master built, are mostly Fender copies lets face it.
[/quote]

That's because bassists have no imagination.