Why become a member? ×

Up-sizing but not by much!!

Bilbo

Simple question.

I have a double bass set up I am very happy with: Acoustic Image Clarus and Ten2 Ex cab. I am not particularly happy with what it does for electric and I am about to start working in trio with a monster blues guitarist so need something with a little poke. I have gigged with this guy with the AI set up but I am not at all convinced

Part of me thinks, do I just get another Ten2 Ex but another part of me says that won't work and that I should get a little Markbass combo. The questions are:

Would the extra speaker do the job?

If I went for a Markbass combo, which is the smallest one that would still cut it?

Any thoughts, peeps?

The CMD121P is a great little amp, much more pokey than its size would suggest. Many happy users on here. And adding in the NY121 ext cab is a revelation, though for volume purposes the combo on its own is enough - adding in the ext cab just adds greater "size/depth" to the sound.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1442571614' post='2867849']
Who are you playing with Rob?
[/quote]

If we manage to find out we can email him and ask him to put moondance in the set.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1442574475' post='2867892']
If we manage to find out we can email him and ask him to put moondance in the set.
[/quote]

:huh:

I know a few of the Far East blues players, so wondered if it was anyone I knew, and yes, that would be tempting...

Don't know the cab but its a 210 isn't it?
Adding another would be my first thought, for sure
if the amp could handle it.

If you have 2x210's..being properly powered by an amp @ 4 ohms
then I think you'll be in business...but if the cab is 4 you'll need the amp to do 2..
and I doubt that will be allowed..??

I can't see a single 12 being able to handle a powerful blues gtr...so that would
rule out the 121P... add another cab with that combo and you'll be getting there, IMO
but you'll need an amp rated at around 500 into 4ohms for all that to really work.

It doesn't matter about the 500w..but it needs to produce good volume at 4 ohms
as that is what the 2 cabs that you'll need will work at.

[quote name='Sercet' timestamp='1442571786' post='2867852']
I use a little valve preamp with the ten2 for electric. It's good.
[/quote]

That would be my solution. I had an AI Focus for EUB and a tube preamp into it plus 12/10 cab was plenty for loud and convincing BG for alt. blues with two electric guitars in the venues I play, up to 300 people or so. Most AI heads handle 2 ohms perfectly easily and a second Ten2 cab should work very well IMO.

I am not really a fan of the Markbass combos at all, like the heads a lot though.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1442579384' post='2867948']
How about the AI head with a louder cab?
[/quote]

And perhaps stick something like a sansamp bddi in front of it to add a bit of "rock and roll" to the sound.

• 4 months later...