Why become a member? ×

Cheap fretless with jazz width neck

Twigman

I've never played a fretless and quite fancy giving it a go, so I'm toying with the idea of picking up a cheap one to try it.
Probably would prefer (for practicality) a lined fretless or I'm likely to get lost.
I prefer narrower jazz width necks and I prefer also slim necks front to back.

Is there such a bass at a budget price?
What would you recommend to someone looking to buy his first fretless that might meet these neck specs?

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1442402262' post='2866638']
There's also the £108 Harley Benton one.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_jb_40fl_sb.htm"]http://www.thomann.d..._jb_40fl_sb.htm[/url]

If it sounds and plays like their JB-75 You're on a winner.
[/quote]

Having just looked, the specification is just amazing for the money :) basses are becoming like bic razors, no need for refrets, adjustments etc, just disposable at this price.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1442397796' post='2866584']
I've never played a fretless and quite fancy giving it a go, so I'm toying with the idea of picking up a cheap one to try it.
Probably would prefer (for practicality) a lined fretless or I'm likely to get lost.
I prefer narrower jazz width necks and I prefer also slim necks front to back.

Is there such a bass at a budget price?
What would you recommend to someone looking to buy his first fretless that might meet these neck specs?
[/quote]

The Squier VM series fretless is pretty cool. I'd get that.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1442512188' post='2867510']
The Squier VM series fretless is pretty cool. I'd get that.
[/quote]

I was very happy with the VM Jazz that was my first foray into the world of fretless after nearly 30 years of playing bass.

I put a set of Chromes on it and played practically none of my other basses for the best part of a year after I got it, even neglecting my '79 Musicman Sabre.

I had no issues gigging with the VM and had quite a number of complements on its tone from people who heard it. I'm really more comfortable with active basses, but I have little hesitation in recommending them as a fretless starter.

I only sold it a couple of weeks ago to help pay for a fretless Stingray 5, which will become my main instrument unless I really need frets, so the VM must have done something right :)

Edited by cybertect

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1442402262' post='2866638']
There's also the £108 Harley Benton one.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_jb_40fl_sb.htm"]http://www.thomann.d..._jb_40fl_sb.htm[/url]

If it sounds and plays like their JB-75 You're on a winner.
[/quote]

Just thought I would add that I've picked up a HB bass and they are stunners for the money. I'd certainly say that the JB75 (their Jazz bass) stands shoulder to shoulder with the Squire VM bass I own. I have no idea how they can afford to make these basses and sell them for the price they do, but wow they are nice.

The only warning I would give you is that my one weighs a ton. If you're wanting something to noodle around with while sitting down at home then its a great option but be cautious if you are planning on standing playing.

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1442845709' post='2869930']
Bass Collection do an excellent tribute to Jaco's Jazz with no scratch plate called the Portrait. Check out bass centre.com.
[/quote]

I am beginning to feel like it would be nice if someone was making cheap-ish fretless Jazz basses that [i]aren't[/i] Jaco tributes with no scratch plate. :blink:

Edited by cybertect