Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fender American Standard Jazz bass

Funky Dunky

Well, it's all legit. I really did win a brand spanking new American Standard Jazz bass, so I'd like to thank Grant Fox and everyone at Fender for this absolutely fantastic prize - she's a beauty!

The bass came early this afternoon, and includes a very solid, very expensive-looking Fender hard case, along with a wee goodie bag containing a Fender strap, lead and polishing cloth. This is a lottery win for me, really, as I'd never be able to lay out the money for one of these basses, and my wife would feed me to the lions if I even looked at one in a shop.

It's black, with a rosewood fretboard, dot inlays. It arrived with a white pickguard but looks very generic, so I took the liberty of ordering a couple of pickguards so that I could see how it looked with a costume change. I have tort and I have black - so far black is my favourite, but the tort is really nice too.

It has Fender stainless steels on, but I favour nickel strings and have ordered a set of my favourites which should be here by Friday.

The new JBs have Custom Shop pickups, and they are really sweet-sounding. Unfortunately I don't get to bask in the true glory as, at the moment I'm using a 40w practice amp, but goodness me even at that you can hear how good this is. The neck pickup is round and warm as you'd expect, the bridge pickup is exceptionally tight and tracks really quickly. Quack quack.

While many argue that these bad boys are a tad overpriced, I can see why they are in a higher bracket. This beast played perfectly out of the box. Nice, low action and no fretbuzz whatsoever.

I'm really curious now to try out Jazzes from different eras to see how they compare. This is several classes above what I'm used to, and I like it a LOT.

Edited by Funky Dunky

Excellent result, I didn't enter the competition as I have a US J (2003) and P(2001) and both are very solid good quality instruments. Of the 2 I think I still prefer the jazz as a player but the P gives me a sound that's better for the songs I'm doing so that's the gigging bass at present. Hope your jazz gives you years of good service.

Many congrats. I`ve a 2015 US Precision I picked up a couple of months ago and it`s easily the best bass I`ve ever had. The Custom Shop pickups on the post 2012s are just amazing. If I were a bassist who gigged a Jazz bass I`d get one of this series too.

Oh, and it has to be tort - black/tort/rosewood is just killer.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1442338083' post='2866195']
Also... I think the white pickguard looks great.
[/quote]

+1

but ... "de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum" ;)

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Congratulations! Nice bass.[/font][/color]

Edited by Alph