Why become a member? ×

de afwerking mk6-6s & mk6-g6 - blablas is doing a double build

blablas

Ordered and received more parts.

For the bass all the parts but neck attachment screws are in now, for the guitar version I'm still waiting for specifications.
Going to start on the bass very soon. :)

Edited by blablas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Finally going to make sawdust on this double build soon, already prepared some odds and ends, more details later.

Also did some designing for the next planned project, a 10 string, no exact plans yet. The only thing I discovered is that I have to build the bridge myself, there is nothing to my liking on the market for a 5 string with octave strings.

Edited by blablas

[quote name='blablas' timestamp='1472538030' post='3121845']
You guessed right. :)
[/quote]

Yay! Seems like a clever way to get consistant spacing of the string pairs. With a slight pinching effect it should work great!
See diagram:
[attachment=226721:8 String Saddle Pinch Style.png]

[quote name='blablas' timestamp='1472576857' post='3122305']

Saddles are done.

With all the screws and springs.
[/quote]

Looking good!

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1472582940' post='3122379']
Yay! Seems like a clever way to get consistant spacing of the string pairs. With a slight pinching effect it should work great!
See diagram:
[/quote]
Works like a charm, I used this trick for the first time on my old 8 string build.

Only minor disadvantage is that the intonation between the double course strings can't be fine tuned, but at the time I tried this saddle method out I also discovered that this is nowhere near as critical as some people might suggest.

Edited by blablas

I made everything by hand, only using a conventional lathe and a milling machine, I can do it quicker this way than by using a CNC machine. CNC is only interesting for complicated shapes and bulk production not for something straightforward and simple as these parts. (in my old school trained machinist opinion).

The finish on the saddles was done with a drum polishing machine. the baseplate is sand-blasted (for now).

Can I ask why you're not using a separately adjustable saddle for the octave string in each pair?

I've never played an 8 string bass with shared saddles for both strings in a course that didn't suffer from terrible tuning problems above the 7th fret (which for me on an 8-string bass is where all the interesting stuff happens).

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1472761301' post='3124081']
Can I ask why you're not using a separately adjustable saddle for the octave string in each pair?[/quote]
Much too complicated to engineer and fabricate and in my experience with both fixed and adjustable double course saddles it's not that critical, it's a small concession I'm willing to accept over a complicated bridge design.

Edited by blablas