Why become a member? ×

de afwerking mk6-6s & mk6-g6 - blablas is doing a double build

blablas

The building urge is here again. :)
I'm going to endeavor on a double build and a new body design.

This will be the mk6 series and will be inspired on the Ovation Deacon body shape.

The plan is a lefty shortscale 6 string, basically a bass VI with a more bass player friendly string spacing, this one will be for myself.
The second one will be a right-handed guitar for a family member who's building me a tube preamp.

I still need to work out the design for them but I know where I'd like to go with it.

Right now I'm making an inventory for the needed parts and will soon start ordering them.
also bought the first chunks of wood for the fingerboards and bodies.

Jatobe and chestnut.

Edited by blablas

Good choice with the Chestnut. On a whim I bought a couple of boards of Spanish Chestnut and have found it to make excellent body wood. Slightly darker than Ash but sounds like Swamp Ash and is even lighter, plus it's very stable once dried property. A real bonus is that it's sustainable because it's a by product of the Spanish Sweet Chestnut farming industry....

• 3 months later...

I think it will. It will be a short scale bass and a guitar so not a very long neck that sticks out, there's a lot more wood (weight) at the bridge end than with a traditional style body.

And if it doesn't, too bad, most of the time I play sitting down anyway.

[quote name='roman_sub' timestamp='1452685932' post='2952346']from looking at this a bit more, I think the body shape could also work as a "headless" instrument!
[/quote]
It sure does but I don't want to go headless due to the very limited choice in hardware and high pricing of what's available. I could make the stuff myself (been there, done that) but that's a serious amount of extra work I'm not looking for.

The 'been there, done that' bass. ;)

Did some refining of the headstock design.

Placed the tuners closer together and added a lower wing to the headstock, looks more balanced to me now and now it can be put in a guitar hanger, given the body shape it probably won't fit a guitar stand.

Edited by blablas

[quote name='blablas' timestamp='1452786548' post='2953516']
Did some refining of the headstock design.

Placed the tuners closer together and added a lower wing to the headstock, looks more balanced to me now and now it can be put in a guitar hanger, given the body shape it probably won't fit a guitar stand.
[/quote]

Yes - like this a lot more. Love the 'been there, done that' headless, by the way... :)