Why become a member? ×

Cash Converters Price Shocker

madshadows

Going home from the Doctors this morning and there is a Cash Converters right where I catch the bus home and in the window is the same model Harley Benton bass I have [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbb1975_na.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbb1975_na.htm[/url] which is currently going for £101, Cash Converters price for a 2nd hand bass £220, I was open mouthed in shock at the price, surely they must check prices before they price tag it !!, was going to go in and ask why the high price but my bus came ;) :P

John

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1442317062' post='2865963']
wonder how much they must have paid for it :blink:
[/quote]

I've heard from other folk that they typically offer around 25% of their final selling price when items are brought in to them. So probably about £50-60? Selling stuff to Cash Converters is usually an act of desperation.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

I recently went in a local CC to get an idea of a price they would give me for a brand new bass cab I have and they said there is a facility on their web site for you to find out how much they will give you for anyting. I haven't looked for it but it might be worth checking your stuff on there before lugging it down to the shop as thats what they check in-store before offering you a price.... apparently.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1442317346' post='2865969']
I've heard from other folk that they typically offer around 25% of their final selling price when items are brought in to them. So probably about £50-60? Selling stuff to Cash Converters is usually an act of desperation.
[/quote]

Before Cash Converters it was much more fun checking out gear in "proper junk shops" like Roddy Boston's on Leith Walk, or the one briefly on Montgomery Street and there was another on Elm Row.

Edited by Big_Stu

Yes you had to be a bit circumspect back in the day but then again word soon got round about shops that habitually ripped off folks and could be boycotted. With the advent of all the online outlets for moving on used gear it's actually not that common to see much used gear in recognised music shops any more. I miss the 'rummage factor' a bit and old basses smelling of woodbines after they'd done years on the WMC circuit. Did I mention this all used to be fields once? ;)

Years ago (30 plus) in Leeds there were a number of Second Hand shops, on Brigate and Boar Lane are two I can easily recall. I used to work in the City Centre then and on my lunch break would do a quick tour of the shop windows to see what Basses were around.

These windows were literally crammed with items and I recall watching a White JD Roadie Supernatural Bass start at £500 and after about 6 months it had come down to £395. I went in, they were not keen on pulling it out of the window if I was not going to buy ( obvious question, how can I know I want to buy it without looking and playing it) so reluctantly they got it out. With the trade in of a Laney combo I had won it cost me £250 and came with a case.

Traded it in few years later for a 5 string Status Groove Bass....hindsight, its a wonderful thing!

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1442321214' post='2866011']
Before Cash Converters it was much more fun checking out gear in "proper junk shops" like Roddy Boston's on Leith Walk, or the one briefly on Montgomery Street and there was another on Elm Row.
[/quote]

Ah yes, I bought my first amp from Boston's. Those shops were much more fun when I was a naive teenager with no idea where they got the gear from! I think reading the news articles about the proprietor later on soured it for me slightly - every now and again I wonder where that amp might have been nicked from.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1442321214' post='2866011']

[/quote]

I remember when I was at university in Cardiff in the mid 80s, a junk shop on Broadway in Splott had a Gibson EB3 hanging up on the wall, stickered at £100. I had a play and I didn't get on with the bass. I reckon it probably needed a good setup; the action was awful.

I was mainly a guitarist then,and besides didn't really have the cash, but I've often wondered if I should have bought it.

Edited by cybertect

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1442338712' post='2866209']
Years ago (30 plus) in Leeds there were a number of Second Hand shops, on Briggate and Boar Lane are two I can easily recall.[/quote]

And Boar Lane looked like Brooklyn back then, but nobody realised.

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/2jcxz5h.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1442338932' post='2866214']
Ah yes, I bought my first amp from Boston's. Those shops were much more fun when I was a naive teenager with no idea where they got the gear from! I think reading the news articles about the proprietor later on soured it for me slightly - every now and again I wonder where that amp might have been nicked from.[/quote]
Yeah, I too didn't know how dodgy they were until the big court case. I remember they had a full Laney stack in a corner for years, right next to the stuffed bear and the bazooka!

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1442339732' post='2866231']
I remember when I was at university in Cardiff in the mid 80s, a junk shop on Broadway in Splott had a Gibson EB3 hanging up on the wall, stickered at £100. I had a play and I didn't get on with the bass. I reckon it probably needed a good setup; the action was awful.[/quote]
My first bass was an EB3, or rather a 1969 EB0 converted in a semi-decent way. I sold it when I needed the cash to a shop called Mel's Music in Edinburgh and saw it again in the afore-mentioned Boston's many years later. It hadn't faired well in-between times, but I recognised the scars and alts it had. Even then they wanted twice as much for it as I was paid.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1442327498' post='2866059']
With the advent of all the online outlets for moving on used gear it's actually not that common to see much used gear in recognised music shops any more. I miss the 'rummage factor' a bit and old basses smelling of woodbines after they'd done years on the WMC circuit. Did I mention this all used to be fields once? ;)
[/quote]

Yes, I used to go into Musical Exchanges in Brum back when it was in Broad Street (little Gary who went to PMT used to work there back then) and then Snow Hill, and the second-hand side of it just disappeared. Now there's just Stirchley Musical Exchange which is a tiny OMAAD place with some decent instruments but not very many of them, and you have to go somewhat further afield - Warwick is reasonably close for bass gear albeit not so much at the budget end of the scale, but other than that it's probably a trip to That London.

Now have any of you been to Johnson's of Leeds military surplus shop? That place is crazy. It used to have a white UN tank or something parked outside. For sale. And it's located round the back of the empty car park of a grim industrial estate, the kind of place you'd take someone to shoot them and dump the body. I see the website has various missile parts for sale, which is nice.