Why become a member? ×

Shoulder Pain While Playing?

Bobertie

My bass is pretty heavy in weight and being small and not very strong means when im playing standing up, I get bad shoulder pain after a few songs. I'm planning on getting a lighter bass soon, but I'm needing to save up first.

Anyone got any tips to help with this pain? I personally find I get into the music more while standing, so sitting isn't a problem, but I enjoy it a bit less.

Thank in advance guys :)

Get yourself a good strap. I bought myself a Mono "The Betty" GS1 and didn`t notice any difference the first time I used it until after a 3hr practice, where my shoulders/back didn`t feel like I`d had a bass strapped to me for 3hrs, if that makes any sense. Loads of decent ones about, but the GS1 is the only one of this type I`ve tried and it works well. I`ve a bad back anyway, so this strap has really made a difference. I used to have a wide leather one, but the GS1 is night and day in comparison.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1442179095' post='2864991']
Problem with the Mono straps is they're very long, even the short length would be classed as long by other manufacturers.
[/quote]

Depends on how you like your bass. I`ve got the long version and even then, at full stretch it`s only just long enough for me (can see how it`s set in my pic).

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1442179612' post='2864996']
Depends on how you like your bass. I`ve got the long version and even then, at full stretch it`s only just long enough for me (can see how it`s set in my pic).
[/quote]

I think they're designed for the traditional rock bass positioning, as demonstrated in your photo. I like mine kind of just above waist height, which is more suitable for finger style playing.

They are great straps though, just wish they were a bit shorter :).

Status do a wide strap in two lengths, a Mark King height one and a 'punk' length one, ie. round your knees.

I would say get some professional advice from someone like an osteopath. He/she can tell you what's wrong, manipulate the joints and let you know how to avoid it in the future.

There have been a couple of other similar threads recently with lots of good advice as will appear here.

I presume it's your strap-hanging shoulder (for want of a better phrase)? If I get pain in it, it's from over-tensing my fretting hand or arm. Playing with a lighter action, and consequently a lighter touch, can help a lot, as can relaxing while you play. Just don't fall asleep.

Edited by JapanAxe

As above, it may be worth looking at your playing style too rather than assume it's a straight forward bass weight problem. Obviously a good strap helps in spreading the weight but if your left arm is twisted or tensed then this can result in shoulder and back pain.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1442180173' post='2865003']
I think they're designed for the traditional rock bass positioning, as demonstrated in your photo. I like mine kind of just above waist height, which is more suitable for finger style playing.

[/quote]

I've got two Mono straps - a long that's always on it's shortest setting and a short that's always on it's longest setting... I couldn't remember what size I'd got originally so got the short assuming the one I had was a medium. Anyway...

On the shortest setting the short brings my Dingwall so the upper horn is around nipple height, on it's longest the bass sits on my hip - my preferred position. I'm 6' so I can see that a shorter player who wants the bass under their chin might find them long!

They are the most comfortable straps I've used. Must get a medium next time...

Is it possible to sit down for your gigs, and not use a strap ?

I way prefer sitting down on gigs, but most of my gigs are jazz, so sitting down is acceptable. I went and splashed out on a really nice stool a few weeks ago, so I'm sitting, but it's actually more 'propped', because it's set quite high up, and I don't use a strap.

I've got one of these, not cheap, but for me it's brilliant. [attachment=200680:71Vr8kuk1ZL._SL1500_.jpg]

For straps you maybe want something that doesn't contort and sink into the muscle between your shoulder bones and your neck. I've used a comfort strap, and found that these really sink into this area, restricting the blood supply to your arm. A wide, padded leather strap, or a Mono (if they're not too long for you), is best.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1442185891' post='2865049']
I've got two Mono straps - a long that's always on it's shortest setting and a short that's always on it's longest setting... I couldn't remember what size I'd got originally so got the short assuming the one I had was a medium. Anyway...

On the shortest setting the short brings my Dingwall so the upper horn is around nipple height, on it's longest the bass sits on my hip - my preferred position. I'm 6' so I can see that a shorter player who wants the bass under their chin might find them long!

They are the most comfortable straps I've used. Must get a medium next time...
[/quote]

I'm 6ft, but I find even the short Mono puts the bass down past my waist. With the added neck width of a 6 string bass, you end up putting a lot of stress on your fretting hand.

Depends where the pain is... I'd second a comfort strap but I'd also check out the reason for the pain...

I developed a problem over time and it was a technique thing...
The problem with muscles can be resolved quite quickly but structural and ligaments are
a longer problem.

Physio..!!

There are so many reasons for pain, you are going to have to work through them.

There may be something wrong with you, a trapped nerve or bony spurs in the channel the nerve runs through, these press on the nerve when you compress your shoulder with the bass. See a doctor for advice just in case.

Spread the load with a decent strap as everyone is saying.

Check the balance of your bass, it should sit without moving in a perfect playing position with no neck dive or twisting. My P bass does this but my T'bird doesn't, constantly supporting it and twisting it back makes my left shoulder ache after 30 mins or so. I'm using muscles I don't use very often to support it and they are under continuous tension all the time I'm playing. It rarely comes out at gigs.

Strengthen you shoulders, buy some weights go the the gym or work out other exercises. I'm a little weedy guy and extra strength helps a lot with shoulder pain. Basically I don't get it any more, except with the T'bird

The advice on relaxation and technique is good. If your arm isn't relaxed it is going to ache whatever you do. Check in a mirror whilst you play to see what positions you are forcing that arm into.

Keep experimenting with strap lengths, raising or lowering the bass by as little as a cm might make a big difference in the tension in your arm.

Minotaur do great wide straps which I find help a lot.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/minotaur_leather_straps.html

I do a 2 to 2 1/2 hour set and have been making my basses lighter and lighter....gotoh resolite tuners & babicz aluminium bridge help keep the weight down.

Edited by Twigman

I gig with a 5 string bass that weighs 81/2 lbs, because I have to. I already do Pilates and use a 3" strap. Give me the best bass in the world and if it weighs more than that I won't/can't use it.

If you're a 4 string player you can find good solid body basses that weigh 7 lbs and a lot less if you go for a hollow body.

Get saving.

The Comfort Strapps are, I think, a bit shorter than the Monos. They have worked well for me on many a long gig. Phil's comment about balance resonates with me. I sold my beautiful USA Spector because I was fighting neck drop. The good old Precision got it right in my opinion and that is the shape I have been gigging with no neck or back ache for the last 2 years.

Edited by DBerriff

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1442180173' post='2865003']

[/quote]

This is why I got rid of my mono straps, even the short was still too long. I use comfort strapps now instead :)

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1442231880' post='2865288']I sold my beautiful USA Spector because I was fighting neck drop. The good old Precision got it right in my opinion and that is the shape I have been gigging with no neck or back ache for the last 2 years.[/quote]

I had this issue with my Thumb 5 - ended up tensing my left shoulder and supporting the neck with the left hand which meant I wasn't able to play fluidly. Both my Jazz and Dingwall balance perfectly so no issues there.

Also something to consider, is how you sit at a computer, especially if you're sat in front of one all day (as a lot of people tend to be these days).

I found myself getting pain in my left shoulder a lot (guitar strap shoulder), but then realised I was leaning on my left elbow a lot at work (especially when using the mouse). When I realised this, I adjusted my seating position and made the effort not to lean on my left elbow (way harder than you'd think! Especially on a curved work desk found in most offices). It does contribute.

Wide straps help, wide and padded straps help a lot.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1442213288' post='2865103']
Neotech Mega Bass Strap.

More comfy than my Mono. More adjustment too.
[/quote]

+1
Great strap, really comfy. I bought one after I busted my left shoulder and it hurt to just wear the bass with the normal leather strap. It enabled me to keep gigging and has remained on the bass ever since.