Why become a member? ×

Any idea how to value CIJ Fender Jazz JB-40?

Dubhghaill

My friend inherited a Fender Jazz Bass from his father and I'm interested in taking it off his hands, but we're unsure how to value it because it seems to be quite rare.

It's a CIJ (A serial, so 97-98) black Fender Jazz Bass with white pickguard and rosewood fretboard. After looking at the catalogue I'm guessing it's a JB-40 but we don't know for sure because the neck hasn't been removed. It doesn't have a painted headstock like others I have found from around the same era.

I've looked around on the classifieds here, and on the usual places like eBay/Gumtree but there doesn't seem to be any sold recently in the UK.

Help :D

Its not a re-issue so not as desirable or worth as much as others here have suggested. If its in really good condition or you have a really good day id say £350-400

Easy way to tell if its a re-issue is the head stock font, earthing strap on the bridge, spiral bridge. Or post photos and we can tell you :)

Thanks for the responses guys.

[quote name='Kempy535' timestamp='1442586246' post='2868022']
Its not a re-issue so not as desirable or worth as much as others here have suggested. If its in really good condition or you have a really good day id say £350-400

Easy way to tell if its a re-issue is the head stock font, earthing strap on the bridge, spiral bridge. Or post photos and we can tell you :)
[/quote]

This is what I was thinking too, based on eBay auctions from other countries. Unfortunately the one pic I have is not very good, but maybe it can give you some clues:

its a 62 RI. great basses. stick a J Retro in it and its smokin. the non export CIJ/MIJ models had basswood bodies, while the non export models were alder/ash. both great woods, but with higher quality pickups etc on the non export models. i reckon £400 around about. Depends on where your selling.

Edited by bubinga5