Why become a member? ×

Is anyone using a tablet to mix live?

mrtcat

I've done a dozen or more shows on the Mackie / I-pad setup for our part-time PA and I just can't find any love for it..

I'm a big fan of 'conventional' digital mixers, I use a Soundcraft 328XD and a Yamaha 02R daily at work. Both are a little dated but navigation especially on the 328XD is pretty much as quick as an analogue wiith 10x the feature set and just a couple of EQs.

The Mackie will do more than either but the two main points I struggle with are:

A: I can't navigate round the platform fast enough. Dragging or pulling areas feels arkward sometimes especiallly if you catch the wrong slider (particularly on the graphic EQ page) it's frustrating. It just all feels a bit slow for my liking.

B: The lack of physiicality is a barrier for me. If I've moved away from the main mix, gettiing back for that unexpected guitar solo is super quick on either of my consoles but if I'm on the wrong page on the Mackie, the journey back to the mix page and then to scroll accross to that channel is simply too slow.

I feel I made the transition to digital mixers pretty painlessly and I'm now totally sold on the concept. Mixing on an I-pad, however is not for me.

I saw John's comment regarding the LS-9. They're a funny thing but I think I'd rather this than the Mackie. I had a very much 'in at the deep end' introduction to the LS-9 but once I'd got my head into it, I appreciated how powerful and flexible they are but they're still not that quick to get round. I've drawn many a parallel to that and my 02R. I've never ran one with a tablet tho.

It's late so I'll weigh in with a bit more tomorrow..

We are use iPads for individual mixes through our IEM system but to be honest we have stored two or three scenes that we are all happy with so not much adjustment needed. We are using QU-32 and GLD desks from Allen and heath.

The iPad feature is ok but for proper mixing FOH it's a bit pointless. It's nice to have it connected to the network so you can just grab and jump out front if mixing from elsewhere. I've found using a stylus instead of fingers is better especially if mixing outside

We changed our A&H desk about three months ago and purchased a XR18. We've done around a dozen gigs with it so far.

TBH, it's been such a great investment. We've been able to reduce our setup times dramatically as we're now in a position to save and recall settings for particular venues. The small footprint has allowed us to rack it all up meaning we can cart stuff around easier and safer. It's also made a world of difference with our IEM setup as everyone is now able to adjust their own mix via their own smartphones/iPads.

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1442310915' post='2865881']
It's also made a world of difference with our IEM setup as everyone is now able to adjust their own mix via their own smartphones/iPads.
[/quote]

Didnt even think about this option.
Im guessing you only have 5 in your band? Im assuming this because your only allowed 5 platforms to be logged to each X18.... or am i missing something?

As a last point, I do have a plan going forward to incorporate the Mackie for future shows.

As suggested above, use it as an exclusive monitor console for better paying shows and get someone else I trust to run it whilst I mix FOH on something I'm happier with.

I think they're a great concept and I'm sure they work great for other folks but just not for me.

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1442281891' post='2865747']
I've done a dozen or more shows on the Mackie / I-pad setup for our part-time PA and I just can't find any love for it..

I'm a big fan of 'conventional' digital mixers, I use a Soundcraft 328XD and a Yamaha 02R daily at work. Both are a little dated but navigation especially on the 328XD is pretty much as quick as an analogue wiith 10x the feature set and just a couple of EQs.

The Mackie will do more than either but the two main points I struggle with are:

A: I can't navigate round the platform fast enough. Dragging or pulling areas feels arkward sometimes especiallly if you catch the wrong slider (particularly on the graphic EQ page) it's frustrating. It just all feels a bit slow for my liking.

B: The lack of physiicality is a barrier for me. If I've moved away from the main mix, gettiing back for that unexpected guitar solo is super quick on either of my consoles but if I'm on the wrong page on the Mackie, the journey back to the mix page and then to scroll accross to that channel is simply too slow.

I feel I made the transition to digital mixers pretty painlessly and I'm now totally sold on the concept. Mixing on an I-pad, however is not for me.

I saw John's comment regarding the LS-9. They're a funny thing but I think I'd rather this than the Mackie. I had a very much 'in at the deep end' introduction to the LS-9 but once I'd got my head into it, I appreciated how powerful and flexible they are but they're still not that quick to get round. I've drawn many a parallel to that and my 02R. I've never ran one with a tablet tho.

It's late so I'll weigh in with a bit more tomorrow..
[/quote]

This is exactly why I went for the Soundcraft Si, it's the best analogue.digital crossover desk.. I've used LS9's, O1V's and they are awkward somehow... great but still fiddly.
I did a lot of research and it seems the best for me.. and it sounds good ! (14 aux's is handy too)

I've never mixed a show on an Si although I have had a play on one and found it very intuitive and simple to navigate. I had a similar experience on an Allen n Grief Qu 16 also. Again, very simple and quick to get round as well as having a logical layout.

I'm not currently in the market for a new console but if I was, these two would be top contenders.

With regards to the Yamaha's, they do it their own way. I've mixed many shows (and recordings) on my 02R as well as plenty of hire jobs on LS-9 (16 and 32) and I found that once you get the Yamaha thing, they're better but neither are overly friendly from the outset. The LS-9s operating system struggles to keep up with what it's capable which makes it fiddly to navigate. The 02R on the other hand isn't entirely logical with simiilar setting controls in completely different menu / places which is what can slow the work process down until you know where things are. Still, I've learned to love the Yamaha thing over the last few years but it wasn't the smooth and easy transition that the Soundcraft system was.

I have occasionally looked at 2nd hand LS-9 32 models but they're still just a liittle too expensive at this time.

• 3 weeks later...

Just received the Soundcraft UI 16 today.

[URL=http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/SC%20ui_zpsdbzuswi3.jpg.html][IMG]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae181/gelfin5959/SC%20ui_zpsdbzuswi3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

iPad interface

[URL=http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/SC%20ui%20ipad_zpsbgrdizby.jpg.html][IMG]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae181/gelfin5959/SC%20ui%20ipad_zpsbgrdizby.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

So far only powered up and connect iPad to see the interface. It does alot and seems quite intuitive. Wireless connection seems stable and secure. You set your own password. It creates it's own wireless network, so no need for any other kit. No app as it uses a web interface, so any wireless device can connect. Apple, Android, laptop.

Will be using it in earnest this weekend, so will see how it goes.

Just been playing with the SC Ui this morning. A simple set up with 5 mics for an acapella ensemble.

Just go to iPad network settings and select Sondcraft network. Open safari and enter the given address and up pops the interface. Up to ten users can connect simultaneously.
Wireless connection good up to 20 metres. (thats as far as I could go)

Brilliant. Not stuck by the desk. Just a fairly simpe mix. EQ and effects easy to use.

Sound quality, better than the Soundcraft LX 7 that I would have been using. No noticable latency.

Can be as simple or complex as you wish. It does so much that it will take a while to get really deep into al the functions.

Big bonus is going to be how much less to carry to gigs. Ui mixer, 2 active PA cabs, 2 active monitors.

Will be back as things progress.

Edited by gelfin

I use an SI expression and an SI 16 and the remote iPad control is a major asset.
The SI is very intuitive and can be accessed by any tablet or laptop so it's pretty useful.
A couple of things to note on the SI are amuts a little noisy if you crank the pre amps so you need to set the input gains carefully.
Unity gain on the master L&R pits is 10 past 12 and again, the mixer can get a but hissy if you turn these up past that.
Having said that,the gigs I've done on it the hiss was simply not a problem compared to the ambient noise in the pubs etc.
It has a feedback suppressor that is very handy for pub use and if you set the headphones output to aux5/6 you can get 6 mono monitor sends out of it, on top of your 2 reverbs and delay sends.
There has been some moaning about the wifi hotspot dropping out now and then but that's easily solved by using an external router via Ethernet. I use a TP/Link Nano which can be powered from one of the mixers usb ports.
The hdmi port does nothing yet but the view is that they will enable it in the future for use with a usb mouse and flat screen.
Firmware updates are underway to improve the fx and some muting and routing options.
My opinion? Go for it, it's very affordable.

• 2 months later...

we use the behringer x-18. Whilst it does sound good it isn't terribly robust for live use. We were rather embarrassingly locked out last night. The mutes were locked on. It didn't matter what device we tried to use. luckily we had a laptop and cable so we could hardwire in. It appears that if there is a lot of competitive wi-fi signals then it a affects remotely logging into the desk. The solution may be to buy a decent independent router. They are easier in terms of lugging equipment about and using scenes for similar venues etc

[quote name='dnarocks' timestamp='1450036238' post='2929070']
It appears that if there is a lot of competitive wi-fi signals then it a affects remotely logging into the desk. The solution may be to buy a decent independent router. They are easier in terms of lugging equipment about and using scenes for similar venues etc
[/quote]

This is the top complaint with this desk - get a decent router and use that instead of the inbuilt one.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1442217721' post='2865127']
For this reason, I was thinking about buying in an LS9 for hire.
There are plenty of engrs with access to kit but a good digital board is quite rare.
[/quote]

The LS9 is the desk that engineers love to moan about. Used values are taking a dive now that there's a load of low cost options on the market. Great if you want a cheap LS9 for yourself but hire companies are generally phasing them out in favour of newer kit now. I'd take an X32 over an LS9 these days to be honest, it's much quicker to get around on.

As for the raft of stage box mixers, a company I freelance for have picked up a Ui16. Great on paper, but I've had MASSIVE issues with the on-board WiFi and have refused to use it until there's an external router in the package.

WiFi issues aside, they're great pieces of kit for budget gigging. For any professional work, I'd suggest having two tablets with it, so you've always got one on charge that you can pick up and grab when your battery gets low. For extra belt and braces, a laptop on a hardwired ethernet connection as a "just in case" is a sensible move too.