Why become a member? ×

tbonepete

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1442134444' post='2864519']
Explain why you think it is complete tosh on both counts..?
[/quote]

Sorry but since your the one making presumptions about other peoples deficiencies i.e. that they arnt good enough to handle a clean sound should they so desire, the burden of proof is on you. Until that time, your statements remain unsubstantiated "tosh".

Your essentially talking down to everyone who uses any drive/distortion in their sound, I therefore feel justified in calling you out on it and asking for some evidence.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1442146674' post='2864650']
Sorry but since your the one making presumptions about other peoples deficiencies i.e. that they arnt good enough to handle a clean sound should they so desire, the burden of proof is on you. Until that time, your statements remain unsubstantiated "tosh".

Your essentially talking down to everyone who uses any drive/distortion in their sound, I therefore feel justified in calling you out on it and asking for some evidence.
[/quote]

Sure...I'll go to any pub around here and see 10 band and I'll bet 80/90% of the guys full into that catergory.
Since that market is pretty much the market on here, ie, pub players and the like
I'll also bet the same sort of equation applies here too. And a scan thru various threads will also point that way too.

It wont be limited to drive...it will be the whole deal with their sound.

That is why it isn't tosh... it is the way it is.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1442078094' post='2864302']
No..it is because an awful lot of players can't cope with real hi quality as it isn't always very forgiving...so you hear an awful lot of stuff
that you rather wouldn't.
The same reason gtrs always want a distortion element in their sound :lol:
[/quote]

I don't agree with this, as I'm quite familiar with how my bass sounds through a simple DI into a desk and monitors and I've owned various heads both coloured and close to flat. I don't think a coloured sound is necessarily more forgiving than a flat one - for example the slightly scooped and treble-boosted voicing built into my GK MB200 is a lot more revealing of sloppy playing than the very clean and flat Acoustic Image Clarus I owned when comparing the two side-by-side. This is because the treble emphasis of the GK really brings out any fret buzz and clank which is less noticeable with a flatter voicing. Compressed sounds (including light drive) can also be revealing in their own way as they reduce the dynamic range. While this can certainly disguise any unintentional peaks, it also brings up quieter artifacts of your playing closer to the level of everything else which can make any sloppiness more noticeable. When playing guitar, I find that a small valve combo with Fender-ish voicing keeps me on my toes more than a clean and relatively flat Polytone, for example.
If you like your amp and cab to be a certain way that's fine, but please don't flatter yourself that this makes you an inherently superior musician to anyone with different preferences.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1442151149' post='2864683']
I don't agree with this, as I'm quite familiar with how my bass sounds through a simple DI into a desk and monitors and I've owned various heads both coloured and close to flat. I don't think a coloured sound is necessarily more forgiving than a flat one - for example the slightly scooped and treble-boosted voicing built into my GK MB200 is a lot more revealing of sloppy playing than the very clean and flat Acoustic Image Clarus I owned when comparing the two side-by-side. This is because the treble emphasis of the GK really brings out any fret buzz and clank which is less noticeable with a flatter voicing. Compressed sounds (including light drive) can also be revealing in their own way as they reduce the dynamic range. While this can certainly disguise any unintentional peaks, it also brings up quieter artifacts of your playing closer to the level of everything else which can make any sloppiness more noticeable. When playing guitar, I find that a small valve combo with Fender-ish voicing keeps me on my toes more than a clean and relatively flat Polytone, for example.
If you like your amp and cab to be a certain way that's fine, but please don't flatter yourself that this makes you an inherently superior musician to anyone with different preferences.
[/quote]

Clank is a technical thing IMO.. it should be very very easy to eleminate.
Or it could be very very hard...depending how you play. That is where the focus should be.
If you like it...which I don't... you aren't going to work on getting rid of it...and as long as the ppl you work with
don't mind, you'll be ok.

The reason my amp and cab are a certain way is because they replicate what I put into it.
Whether this would work ultra clean I'm not sure...but both of my gigging amps are pretty clean as it happens
and one of the reasons I've stopped using a TH was because it has a harshness to it that I've eliminated using
something else.....but more because it runs out of steam. An 800w might be a good idea.

I'm more in the camp that time spent working on what we play would likely be a beneficial thing...which
is why I recognised the main point in one of the compression threads.
You either have these things come naturally...which are the remit of the very few, IMO, or you have to work on things.

Sooner or later you are likely going to be judged as you move through the field....and the biggest thing there will be your sound.
So...it stands to reason that you need to work on all that that involves... or not, as you see fit. it wont make the issue go away though.

If your sound isn't there... that is probably the biggest limiter you'll have. But nobody any good has a poor sound..IMO.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1442148877' post='2864666']
Sure...I'll go to any pub around here and see 10 band and I'll bet 80/90% of the guys full into that catergory.
[/quote]

How do you know - have you seen them try and fail to use a clean sound ?.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1442158830' post='2864755']
How do you know - have you seen them try and fail to use a clean sound ?.
[/quote]

Seriously... I know. If I'm intereted enough I'll suss out someones style pretty quickly and I'll know exactly what they'll struggle with...
Whether they'll see it as a problem is another issue... if they don't, that's fine as well.

All I was trying to allude to tbonepete was by adding a simple EQ section to the amp say, then your whole rig could be flat response. So why not get an Ashdown retroglide 800 amp a couple of Ashdown 2x10s and use the 12-band graphic to provide a flat response? That's what most people use amp EQ for, giving them the tone they require. Yours just happens to be a flat response tone, mine might be boosted at 400hz others maybe prefer smiley face.

I haven't read through all the suggestions but I also wanted the cleanest amp I could get and have settled on glockenklang. On both the blue sky and blue soul the eq can be completely taken out of the signal chain. I only use it to balence out anything I don't like in certain venues.

I'm currently using it with a single berg neo 2x10. I would want a second if I wasn't running through a PA but one is more than enough for rehearsals with a loud drummer and as a backline live.

Edited by CamdenRob

Guest bassman7755

As I mentioned earlier its worth keeping an eye on the markeplace forum as you see the odd ACME cab on there - their 10 loaded cabs are fairly inefficient by all accounts though but probably still loud enough for stage monitoring. They also have a small dedicated mid driver (6 inch I think) so not sure is that is an issue for you.

This is a very odd thread. The original questioner looks to me to have been playing the "Lets see you answer this one" game, moving the goalposts and generally stringing everyone along. Instead of leading us all a merry dance he might be better visiting some shops and trying some kit out.