Why become a member? ×

Alternatives to Fodera

JamesBass

I've found an ever increasing need for a versatile 5 string, currently I only seem to play my P which has flats on it, but there are times where I wish I had another option, with an extra string, and something more modern sounding.

I've ALWAYS wanted a Fodera since I first heard one, but have never had the money to buy one, so what are the alternatives to a Fodera, no more than £2.5K?

Cheers.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1441892031' post='2862677']
I would go as far as saying that the difference in price points is purely down to mental rent that Fodera have to pay in New York.
[/quote]

Partly, although they are out in the wilds of Brooklyn, it's an industrial estate essentially.
They also have a lot of very talented staff (due to demand of the brand), as well as providing healthcare and other benefits that we probably think of as 'normal', that aren't normal in the USA :)

Anyway, if we're talking about the aesthetic and vibe of Fodera, I'd take a look at the Maruszczyk Sputnik (although I've never played one), ACG (although the necks are VERY different to Fodera), and Adamovic (which I've not tried either). The Adamovic and ACG don't do neck through (from what I can see), only bolt on or Set-neck. Not sure about Maruszczyk, email Adrian and find out. The heel on the through neck Foderas is a thing of beauty, and makes moving up to the top of the fingerboard just plain sailing! :)

Si

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1441892031' post='2862677']
Marleaux Consat Custom.

I've only played 1 Fodera, and it was lovely, but for me anyway it wasn't any better (not even a little) than my Marleaux.

I would go as far as saying that the difference in price points is purely down to mental rent that Fodera have to pay in New York.
[/quote]
They sound pretty nice, but the look is just not my cup of tea at all, the body shape looks, nasty to me!
[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1441893383' post='2862701']
Partly, although they are out in the wilds of Brooklyn, it's an industrial estate essentially.
They also have a lot of very talented staff (due to demand of the brand), as well as providing healthcare and other benefits that we probably think of as 'normal', that aren't normal in the USA :)

Anyway, if we're talking about the aesthetic and vibe of Fodera, I'd take a look at the Maruszczyk Sputnik (although I've never played one), ACG (although the necks are VERY different to Fodera), and Adamovic (which I've not tried either). The Adamovic and ACG don't do neck through (from what I can see), only bolt on or Set-neck. Not sure about Maruszczyk, email Adrian and find out. The heel on the through neck Foderas is a thing of beauty, and makes moving up to the top of the fingerboard just plain sailing! :)

Si
[/quote]
Cheers, Si, some good suggestions there, more research will be done!
[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1441893611' post='2862708']
Or, if you want to save a lot of money, select the Yamaha that comes closest to your needs ...
[/quote]
This is certainly an option, especially for the time being, but the fit and finish of a top of the range bass is something I really quite fancy treating myself to!

Well yeah, its always going to be the case that you should select the bass that best suits you......if it's a Fodera, save up for one, if it's a Yamaha then cool :).
There are a TON of boutique custom basses that are as good as Fodera, I bought mine because I played it and it blew me away. Others have not had that experience with Fodera, but have loved a Skold or a Shuker, or whatever.
You might even think the Ibanez Volo fits the bill for you, which is basically Ibanez' take on the Janek Gwizdala/Matt Garrison Fodera spec.....although largely agreed to have missed the mark aesthetically I think, probably still a great bass to play.

If you're going to order a custom, know EXACTLY the spec you want! If you're not sure, perhaps buy a stock bass that has similar specs with a view to testing it out and selling it on if/when you order a custom.
I was lucky in that I tried the Matt Garrison Standard Fodera, so I knew that when I ordered mine to be built, the spec would be EXACTLY the same. That's the benefit of the standard series, and there's a lot of cool basses in the standard range now, obviously cheaper than a full custom, but still all hand built in Brooklyn.

Si

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1441910590' post='2862936']
ACG, and pretty sure Alan will do a neck through if you ask him.
[/quote]

Don't think i've ever seen a NT ACG?! Only BO & SN are listed as options. Worth the question to Alan though!

Si

Honestly there are no alternatives to a Fodera, conversely any bass can be considered an alternative.

Once you're out of the low-end Fender copy market IMO every bass design is unique combination of elements, and no one design is a complete replacement for another. However it may be that there is another bass out there that shares enough of the same sonic, visual, playability and overall feel characteristics to those elements that you like in a Fodera.

Unfortunately only you will know what they are, and it's almost certain that another player will be looking for slightly different things that will make their alternative choice something that you wouldn't regard as a suitable substitute at all.

The only thing you can do is to get your self over to Bass Gear play their current stock of Fodera basses and then start looking for the alternative bass that captures those parts of the Fodera essence that you want.

I completely agree with BigRedX.

I'm crazy about Fodera. I've tried a few. One was crap (sh*t happens), but all the others made my basses feel like they were toys (and I own 2 modulus quantums, owned a JPBass and tried tons of high end basses). It was shocking for me, every single time. You may consider that it might have been altered by a psycho-acoustic syndrome, however... It's what I felt deep inside.

The best bass I've ever played was Dominique Di Piazza's old Fodera (buckeye top). That bass was a dream. Nothing less.

But... Even after trying tons of instruments... I haven't tested a single instrument that sounded exactly like Fodera. And when I say I've tried tons of instruments, I mean it... From industrial production models, small and worldwide known luthiers... It's just... Not the same thing.

The only instrument that I owned and that remotely sounded like a fodera was from a Korean brand.

Edit: However, there's a few guys who work well and are really inspired by Fodera. [url="http://www.jcrluthier.com/Bajos/Bajos%20fabricados/index.html"]JCR[/url] is one of them. Haven't checked the price, though...

There was also an eastern european luthier who used to build fodera-like basses. I don't remember his name...

Edited by Nuf

Mike Newell on here bought a Chinese clone/copy Fodera from Ali-Baba or something and it (from what I could see) was horrible, although I think he would be a bit more kind about it.
I think he ended up stripping the 'finish' (it was a foto-flame), filling the pickup routes and re-routing it.....although not seen anything else of that project.

Si

[quote name='Nuf' timestamp='1441954035' post='2863165']
I completely agree with BigRedX.

I'm crazy about Fodera. I've tried a few. One was crap (sh*t happens), but all the others made my basses feel like they were toys (and I own 2 modulus quantums, owned a JPBass and tried tons of high end basses). It was shocking for me, every single time. You may consider that it might have been altered by a psycho-acoustic syndrome, however... It's what I felt deep inside.

The best bass I've ever played was Dominique Di Piazza's old Fodera (buckeye top). That bass was a dream. Nothing less.

But... Even after trying tons of instruments... I haven't tested a single instrument that sounded exactly like Fodera. And when I say I've tried tons of instruments, I mean it... From industrial production models, small and worldwide known luthiers... It's just... Not the same thing.

The only instrument that I owned and that remotely sounded like a fodera was from a Korean brand.

Edit: However, there's a few guys who work well and are really inspired by Fodera. [url="http://www.jcrluthier.com/Bajos/Bajos%20fabricados/index.html"]JCR[/url] is one of them. Haven't checked the price, though...

There was also an eastern european luthier who used to build fodera-like basses. I don't remember his name...
[/quote]
JCR looks really interesting, it's also not far from my grandparents house in Spain, might be worth a visit when I'm next out there...

Everything within your specified price range (which is inclusive of approx 95% of the bass market) which is not a Fodera is an alternative to a Fodera. The only person able to shed light upon a suitable alternative that meets your exact subjective specifications ...is you.

Btw GAS, like any other bad habit or addiction is entirely destructive and completely fruitless.

Edited by White Cloud

Also, there are many Foderas, and they differ significantly in tone, dimensions, etc. Just see how many people sell Foderas only accepting trades with a different Fodera!

Personally, after having tried another recently (an Emperor neckthrough), I remain absolutely unimpressed by Fodera. I'd suggest you carefully examine what is the driving force for your GAS: looks, tone, construction, whatever. Any of these you can probably find elsewhere the same or even better in my opinion - if it is only mystique (i.e. you cannot quite put your finger on it but you want one anyway), then only a Fodera will work for you I'm afraid. If that is the case, trying as many as you can is key.

[quote name='dudi8' timestamp='1442138231' post='2864557']

here is my RMI i bought from Musashimonkey
very close to fodera in sound and feel and costs 1/6 of it

[/quote]

Mmm! Now that's a nice line up there! I had a Fodera Emporer 2 Elite and it was surprisingly similar to dudi8's RMI. It's as close to Fodera as I've seen, in both construction and tone.