Why become a member? ×

Quick and dirty set list fillers

Nicko

Sorry - yet another set list thread.

We are ramping up the effort on new songs basically cos the LL at our last gig told us we were great but the set is too short (and he's right!). We mostly play 90s and 00s indie stuff with a few older and a few newer numbers thrown in.

Ideally I'd like to get to a position where we can add 3 or 4 new songs a week. We already play a lot of the "groundhog day" setlist so I'm looking for suggestions for songs that are

a) easy to learn and
B) a bit off piste

When we get enough songs together I think the plan is we can drop some of the cheese and spend some time working on more complex songs.

To give an idea of where I'm coming from this weeks songs to learn are:

Scar Tissue - RHCP
Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm version
How you remind me - Nickleback

I suspect and hope Smooth Criminal will only take a week cos the lines are straightforward (if a bit fast) and structure is fairly easy. Scar Tissue is something a couple of us have played before so should be an easy win.

Songs like All the Small Things and Place your Hands were an absolute doddle for the band to learn and go down really well. Rocks is a set filler (I f***** hate it) but it was basically giggable after a couple of plays through. Little Monster has taken 3 weeks which is fine, but I think that's two easy songs we didn't get to learn and put in the set list - I hope you see where I'm coming from here..

Oh, the whole set list is:

Are you Gonna be My Girl (Jet) - Chelsea Dagger (Fratellis) - All the small things (Blink 182) - Cigarettes and Alcohol (Oasis) Hard to handle (Black Crowes)- Dakota (Stereophonics) - Creep (Radiohead) – Valerie (Zutons) Flourescent Adolescent (Arctic Monkeys) - Are you gonna go my way (Lenny Kravitz) - Learn to fly (Foo Fighters) - Take me Out (Franz F) - Sex on fire (KOL) - Buddy Holly (Wheezer) - Somebody told me (Killers) Bang Bang You're Dead (Dirty Pretty Things) - Last Nite (Strokes) - Place your hands (Reef) Little Monster (Royal Blood) – Rocks (Primal Scream) - Use somebody (KOL) -Wake Me Up when September Ends (Green Day)

Here's some ideas based on what I've played in similar bands!

Modern:
Molly's Chambers-KOL
Go with the Flow/Lost Art of keeping a secret- QOTSA
Hero/Everlong- Foo Fighters
Mountain at my gates- Foals (current!)
Seven Nation Army- White Stripes
Cochise-Audioslave
Steady as she goes-Raconteurs
Kelly Affair-Be your own pet (fun song)
Even Flow-Pearl Jam
Ruby/ Love's not a competition- Kaiser
Chiefs

Classics:

Sanctuary-The Cult
Get It On/20th Century Boy- T Rex
Should I Stay or should I Go- The Clash
Pretty Vacant-Sex Pistols
Folsom Prison- Johnny Cash
For What it's worth- Buffalo Springfield
Come Together- Beatles
All Over Now- Stones
I can't explain- The Who
Rock n Roll- Led Zep
Have Love, Will Travel- Sonics
Tush- ZZ Top
Waiting for the man- Velvet Underground
Stop Me- Smiths

Edited by cameltoe

Love your set list, I used to play it pretty much lol. Really miss Dirty Pretty Things, fun bass line compared to the dinosaur rock stuff I'm playing now. We did Gold On The Ceiling too, Jimmy Eat World

How about

Basket Case
American Idiot
Local Boy In The Photograph
In The Morning; Razorlight
Golden Touch
Buck Rogers
Monster; The Automatic
Bohemian Like You
Don't Look Back Into The Sun
Can't Stand Me Now
London Calling (old punk era songs go well with the up tempo stuff you are doing)