Why become a member? ×

Do I need a DI?

phil_the_bassist

Morning all!

I've got a bit of an issue atm...my DI out on my Hartke amp's gone wrong (no signal comes out of it) so untill I find the problem I've had to make do with the DI out on my Pieterson Strobostomp tuner. This is great, has worked well on a few big gigs with no issue, and it's allowed me to have my basses natural tone get blasted out some big hairyarsed PA systems which has lead to a some very positive comments about my bass.

BUT, in a recent studio situation when I was DI'd this way, I was told that the signal was piss-weak by the soundguy, and he'd have to really work it to get it sounding good in the mix.

Is it worth me getting a DI box to put after my amp, to get my hartke tone and amplification, or was this soundguy being a bit of a prat and just making a fuss over nothing?

If so, which do you recommend? I don't want tone controls (i'll do all that via my head&bass) and I'm on a pretty tight budget (£50ish tops)...any suggestions?

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='276797' date='Sep 4 2008, 11:00 AM']The strobe o stomp is a crap di, it's a if all else fails di, see if you can get a Radial Prodi s/h from America.[/quote]

:) great tuner, crap DI...fair enough :huh:

I've checked out the Radial Pro, I've managed to find one for about £75 delivered which is manageable.

Will this be ok to go after my amp? I've got very little experience with DI boxes, as my amp's DI's usually done the business!

Cheers for the help lads!

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='276829' date='Sep 4 2008, 11:48 AM']:) great tuner, crap DI...fair enough :huh:

I've checked out the Radial Pro, I've managed to find one for about £75 delivered which is manageable.

Will this be ok to go after my amp? I've got very little experience with DI boxes, as my amp's DI's usually done the business!

Cheers for the help lads![/quote]

Yeah u could use it in the fx loop to get a post eq signal just don't plug a speaker cable into it you'd need something else to be doing and sending wattage through it.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='276828' date='Sep 4 2008, 11:48 AM']I think it would cost you less than £50 to have the DI in your Hartke fixed.[/quote]

I can't find a local enough amp tech. It would cost me a fare few quid for the shipping to&from a tech, then with diagnosis time, before even starting the labour it all get a bit pricy.

I've had a look, nothing LOOKS broken, all the connections are sound (according to my little multimeter beepy jobber) so I'm kinda at a wall, lookin for options!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='276845' date='Sep 4 2008, 12:03 PM']Fair dues just an idea[/quote]

absolutely mate, and something I'd love to get fixed so's all my gear's fully functioning!

When I needed my fan uprated in the head (long story) I went to a guy in reading (just down the road) and he charged me £45/hr labour and £15 for a (what I've subsequently found to be a) £5 fan...so I'm not willing to go back to him for something that will take some time to diagnose!

I might as well give Larry a call direct and see what he says! lol!

[quote name='Toasted' post='276880' date='Sep 4 2008, 12:34 PM']Call Larry - it's virtually odds on that your DI isn't the first of his to break. I'm sure he'll have suggestions.

£45/hour and £15 for a fan is criminal. I could change it in 30 seconds once I'd undone the screws. There's usually not even any soldering :huh:[/quote]

TELL ME ABOUT IT! :) unfortunately, it was a few years ago now, and when I wasn't at all comfortable with fixin my own gear. Nowadays I quite enjoy gettin the guts of my equipment out on a table and havin a go at fixin it! :huh:

meh...hopefully i'll find a friendly amp tech who'll do the business for me!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='276838' date='Sep 4 2008, 10:59 AM']Amp DI wouldn't be my first choice for use in a studio[/quote]

so why not ?
- if all you want is the signal from the amp ( however that gets to the DI output - pre / post eq etc ) on an impedance balanced XLR or TRS jack ?

If you're looking for speaker emulation etc or a 'transformer' sound then that's a different matter and a transformer may result in better noise rejection but I don't think that's the issue here.

Definitely worth trying to get some response from Hartke on the problem - can't do any harm.

A thought - it might be a stubborn 'dirty connector' problem. I'd try giving it a good swab with a Caig DeOxit cleaner - and if it still doesn't work then not much money wasted as you'll still have the rest of the cleaner which is great stuff for repair and maintenance. ( no - I don't work for Caig or anything to do with them :-)
Also, I know you've buzzed it out, but it's still worth reflowing any solder joints you can get to just in case.

Edited by rmorris

• 2 months later...