Why become a member? ×

Party on dudes, but we are packing up

lurksalot

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1441551720' post='2859723']
You'd think nothing of packing up gear that was no longer needed (with a dj playing) if asecong bad was coming on after, so what is different about this situation?
[/quote]

I think the difference here is that it is more likely to be an audience expecting a band changeover, rather than a party seeing the entertainers clear off and maybe distracting the actual party in the process

I wouldn't worry about it, we're like a Formula 1 crew at the end of the last song and happily crash our way through whoever is between us and the door. (or more usually congregated in it :angry:)

We did this so well once that, (after we'd gone down like a fart in a space suit) a DJ put on 'Dance the Night Away' when we finished. We all slammed our boots shut by the last beat of the song! We were quite proud of that.

as soon as ive played the last note,I'm straight onto packing my gear down. Unless I'm a guest,or its been said before hand, me and my gear are in the car and I'm off. Pub or wedding same thing goes. If its really busy and it means fighting your way through a crowd on the post band DJ now on dance floor then obvs you dont want to offend so common sence here but another way to look at is : If the client/ venue/ agencey is paying top dollar whatever they say goes. If they are getting away with paying bottom dollar or you have negotiated a small fee cause its better than not doing the gig then its a massive huge F***em and do whatever you feel you want to do. IMO

With various bands where we've been in a similar situation, we've taken down and packed up as much as possible, as unobtrusively as possible. Don't recall ever having been in a situation where loading out would have meant we'd have been going through the disco-dancing throng though.

We always pack down and will remove (where possible - if it's a very tight access venue we'll wait (within reason) until the crowd thins) what's not required - sometimes we'll be DJ-ing after the gig so lights and PA stay up, if it's a separate DJ then everything gets packed up.

The punters are pissed, up and dancing. They don't care, and we've never had anyone say anything different.