Why become a member? ×

David Gilmour tour band - Guy Pratt on bass

The Admiral

Jumped on a last minute ticket for Albert Hall last Friday. £50 restricted view from side of stage at almost stage level. Great unrestricted view of the whole band including floor pedal action. Amazing. Guy P got through several basses, Jazz, P, including a Gibson and Lakland I thought (could be wrong).
Whole band sounded amazing.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1443643302' post='2876608']
Just watched the performance on Later. I liked both tracks and thought they were very un-Floyd like, in fact I thought they were decidedly Roxy Music in flavour. Guy Pratt sounded great.
[/quote]
+1 yes I really enjoyed it & fully agree with you,very Roxy sounding,I may have to buy the album.
Guy is a great player for sure & he always looks like he's enjoying himself too.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='whynot' timestamp='1443611784' post='2876165']
Jumped on a last minute ticket for Albert Hall last Friday. £50 restricted view from side of stage at almost stage level. Great unrestricted view of the whole band including floor pedal action. Amazing. Guy P got through several basses, Jazz, P, including a Gibson and Lakland I thought (could be wrong).
Whole band sounded amazing.
[/quote]
I thought Guy's tone on Later was great too.
I think the Lakland was the red fretless one? I presume he's still using Elites on his fretted basses but anyone know what strings he uses on the fretless?

Slightly different view here. I thought (as usual for Jools groups) the group was dull and the songs generic and instantly forgettable (in fact, I have forgotten them). The only reason they won't be forgotten instantly is that Dave Gilmour is in the group. However, I very much liked and was impressed by the bass playing, so it was like a good bass exercise on a generic backing track.

Yes I agree - I noticed that. OMG it doesn't seem to bother him. I'd be surprised if it is intentional though. It may also be recorded at a slight angle and that along with the strings following the neck curvature may equate to what looks like a bigger gap between A and D.

His playing is effortless.

Davo

Edited by Davo-London