Why become a member? ×

Is it normal for old strings to go out of tune?

jazzyvee

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1441446919' post='2858929']
I'd say as long as they do not overlap then more windings on the peg is very good; especially with flat Fender style headstocks.
[/quote]

Yes you absolutely need more windings on the pegs for non-angled headstocks but only for those strings that don't pass under a string retainer. For the others and angled headstocks somewhere between 2 and 3 turns is plenty.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1441445714' post='2858912']
put the strings on, and stretch/pull them. it pulls the windings to there optimum capacity.thus pre-empting there natural stretch and going out of tune over time. its a must when putting on new strings for me.

tune up, then pull on a string then check your tuning.
[/quote]

With respect this isn't the OP's problem. His strings have been fine (keeping in tune) for well over a year; it's only after around 18 months use that the strings aren't intonating correctly. These are old strings going 'bad'.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1441447105' post='2858931']
with all respect, its still a flat wound tone no matter how many flat wound tones you can get from it.. i don't want to be rude to any flat wound players out there, but the voicing of a bass seems to be canceled out by flat wound strings. maybe I'm missing something. yes i probably am. i tried a set of La Bella flats on a jazz bass i used to own, and i just didn't see/hear the point.. sucked the life out of the instrument. a subjective point of course.
[/quote]

I'd say a Jazz sounds better with rounds - without them it's harder to get the classic Jazz-growl. But flats work very well indeed on a P Bass and are great for live work, they have a fundamental that complements the natural low-mid aspect of a P, sit very nicely in the mix and have good definition.

If I need more options I get them from my Zoom B1on. I can get a very convincing round-type hefty boing and twang by judicious use of a pick and by selecting a patch I've made which features (among other things) the SVT amp sim. Most unlike the traditional flat tone and saves me the bother of taking two basses into the shower.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1441447105' post='2858931']
with all respect, its still a flat wound tone no matter how many flat wound tones you can get from it.. i don't want to be rude to any flat wound players out there, but the voicing of a bass seems to be canceled out by flat wound strings. maybe I'm missing something. yes i probably am.

i tried a set of La Bella flats on a jazz bass i used to own, and i just didn't see/hear the point.. sucked the life out of the instrument. a subjective point of course.
[/quote]

I can see that flats on a dynamic instrument, such as a Jazz or any active bass, could work against the broad capabilities and natural sound, but IMO flats on a (passive) P bass enhances and focuses the tone. IMO makes a big improvement.

I wouldn't argue for or against flats on anything else. That could only be a personal preference.

• 1 month later...