Why become a member? ×

Barefaced One10

Roland Rock

Some thoughts after giving it some beans. It shifts at least as much air as the Peavey 210 TX it replaced. I'm chucking 350W at it, so I was a little reticent to give it [i]all[/i] of the gain/ loud dial, and took a little care with low end, but the power and bass output both seem more than ample anyway. Clarity is very good, as you would expect.

Otherwise really pleased with the weight and size; I can get to the gig on public transport, or one-trip a schlep down the road from a car park to a bar, and the heaviest thing in hand is the pedal board.

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1444142990' post='2880626']
Zoom B3?
[/quote]

Or an Zoom MS-60B that will do pretty much the same as the B3 in a single stomp box size package (though you lose the DI, USB interface and a couple of other goodies like being able to use an expression pedal).

That said, I'm very happy with my B3 as a compact do-it-all solution.

Edit: there's also the newer Zoom [url=https://www.zoom-na.com/products/guitar-bass-effects/bass/zoom-b1on-bass-effects-pedal#overview]B1ON[/url] and [url=https://www.zoom-na.com/products/guitar-bass-effects/bass/zoom-b1xon-bass-effects-pedal-expression-pedal]B1XON[/url] which are usually cheaper and allow more simultaneous effects.

Edited by cybertect

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1444141568' post='2880616']
I was thinking of a tuner, compressor, envelope filter and drive - all on a Pedal Train Nano.

Are there any Multi FX that are smaller?
[/quote]

You could use a clip-on-headstock tuner and drop the tuner pedal...

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1444221598' post='2881261']
Nice!
[/quote]Thanks Merton. I have only used this setup (LB30) on one rehearsal (7 piece ska band - no pa support) and it sounded fabulous. I've giggled the cabs with a TH500 (with the same band) and was very happy with the cabs' tone and that I didn't run into headroom issues - which I think I would have done using the LB30 without PA support, but the bands backline is too loud - period. These cabs are very capable and think they'll do great on variety of different band setups / music styles etc. Happy Days.

[quote name='dustandbarley' timestamp='1444222539' post='2881285']
Thanks Merton. I have only used this setup (LB30) on one rehearsal (7 piece ska band - no pa support) and it sounded fabulous. I've giggled the cabs with a TH500 (with the same band) and was very happy with the cabs' tone and that I didn't run into headroom issues - which I think I would have done using the LB30 without PA support, but the bands backline is too loud - period. These cabs are very capable and think they'll do great on variety of different band setups / music styles etc. Happy Days.
[/quote]

Thanks for posting the pic man. I was wondering how it will stack with the LB30 becaue clearly these cabs is pretty small. I'm using a Trace Elliot 15" cab atm and it gets the job done ok but nothing fancy. I'm already start saving up for two of these simply for tone, weight and storage. It looks like the cabs can easily fit into my Vauxhall Insignia without a problem. Probably for once all my bass gear can fit into the boot without putting the sits down lol.

I use PA support all the time for my gig so pairing them with my lb30 will be no problem for gigs. I even gig with a redsub 100watt 10" combo before for backline monitor with PA support.

What's the tone like with these?

I must admit the idea of having a pair of these to replace my 210 would make things even eaiser for me getting around on the London transport system... I could have one in each hand, a micro head in my gigbag and ditch the trolly I currently use.

I've always given barefaced a bit of a wide berth after trying a compac / midget set up a couple of years back and it sounded awful... loud... louder than any other cabs I've tried with the same amp but the tone was terrible. All honk and no clarity at the bottom end. The bottom end was there but very wooly and fuzzy. I like loud... but not at the expense of good tone.

If these sound anything like an EA wizzy a pair of these could be the ultimate portable rig solution.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444224423' post='2881310']
What's the tone like with these?
[/quote]
I haven't tried the EA wizzy, I've only A/B the cabs with a Barefaced S12, and in comparison I found them to be creamier/smoother. I didn't think they were as direct as the s12, by that I mean faithfully reproducing what the amp was putting out, but they subtly coloured the sound in a way I liked. Warm, smooth and creamy. There were no noticeable peaks in the mids, and the bottom end sounded full. IMO - I can't disagree with what the Barefaced website says about the sound - "[b]Tone - Big, warm and fat.[/b] Don't let the size deceive you. Sweet treble and smooth mids. Push it hard and it gets growly and thick."
With regards to portability, I use public transport when ever possible and can take one cab and the TH500 in a cajon bag, with bass on my back, or I use a trolley for both cabs and amp (whichever I'm using). The easiest / most portable and capable set up I've had.

Edited by dustandbarley

[quote name='dustandbarley' timestamp='1444225694' post='2881324']
I haven't tried the EA dizzy, I've only A/B the cabs with a Barefaced S12, and in comparison I found them to be creamier/smoother. I didn't think they were as direct as the s12, by that I mean faithfully reproducing what the amp was putting out, but they subtly coloured the sound in a way I liked. Warm, smooth and creamy. There were no noticeable peaks in the mids, and the bottom end sounded full. IMO - I can't disagree with what the Barefaced website says about the sound - "[b]Tone - Big, warm and fat.[/b] Don't let the size deceive you. Sweet treble and smooth mids. Push it hard and it gets growly and thick."
With regards to portability, I use public transport when ever possible and can take one cab and the TH500 in a cajon bag, with bass on my back, or I use a trolley for both cabs and amp (whichever I'm using). The easiest / most portable and capable set up I've had.
[/quote]

Thanks for that, always good to get some first hand knowledge from people actually using the setup.

I think I'm going to have to hear a set for myself... I worry a bit as a lot of barefaced users seem to be the P bass / valve amp type guys and I'm much more of a HiFi deep and bright tone kinda guy, no break up, very clean sound. I'm using Glockenklang / Bergantino currently.

I know barefaced do an excellent trial period but I'd feel very cheeky sending stuff back they've made specifically to fullfil my order.

I see from your location you're in kent... any gigs in london coming up I could pop along to and hear the rig for myself in a real band situation?

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444226129' post='2881330']
Thanks for that, always good to get some first hand knowledge from people actually using the setup.

I think I'm going to have to hear a set for myself... I worry a bit as a lot of barefaced users seem to be the P bass / valve amp type guys and I'm much more of a HiFi deep and bright tone kinda guy, no break up, very clean sound. I'm using Glockenklang / Bergantino currently.

I know barefaced do an excellent trial period but I'd feel very cheeky sending stuff back they've made specifically to fullfil my order.

I see from your location you're in kent... any gigs in london coming up I could pop along to and hear the rig for myself in a real band situation?
[/quote]

I heard both the Retro 210 and the G3 Compact recently, with an all valve Ashdown CTM-30 and an Ashdown RM-800. If you want HiFi, I reckon you should probably look to the G3 Compact.

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1444226377' post='2881334']
I heard both the Retro 210 and the G3 Compact recently, with an all valve Ashdown CTM-30 and an Ashdown RM-800. If you want HiFi, I reckon you should probably look to the G3 Compact.

Eude
[/quote]

The compact is a 12 isn't it? I was mostly tempted by these because of the tiny size... I appreciate there is always going to be a compromise and it's not going to sound like an 8x10, but I'm really looking for the lightest, smallest rig I can possibly get away with. I sold my excellent Purple Chili 112s and got a berg 210, which is easier to manoeuvre around on a trolly, but a pair of these would be even easier.

I only really need a rig for rehearsals and as a monitor at gigs, but as it's my sole sound source at rehearsals I want it to sound good and full, with enough bottom end.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444226718' post='2881342']
The compact is a 12 isn't it? I was mostly tempted by these because of the tiny size... I appreciate there is always going to be a compromise and it's not going to sound like an 8x10, but I'm really looking for the lightest, smallest rig I can possibly get away with. I sold my excellent Purple Chili 112s and got a berg 210, which is easier to manoeuvre around on a trolly, but a pair of these would be even easier.

I only really need a rig for rehearsals and as a monitor at gigs, but as it's my sole sound source at rehearsals I want it to sound good and full, with enough bottom end.
[/quote]

They are a 12, but they're not exactly huge, and they're incredibly light.
I have a mini rig, 2 x 1x10 Ashdown Mi10's and a G3 Compact drawing 8 ohms from my amp was louder than the two little cabs together drawing 4 ohms.
The newer G3 cabs don't have the barky abrasive sound I heard in the older stuff, much more balanced. Might be worth investigating...

Merton and I will be having another mini-bash in darkest Surrey or possibly South Croydon again soon if you want to pop along to have a go/listen?

Eude