Why become a member? ×

Barefaced One10

Roland Rock

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1441969933' post='2863339']
No generally. It all revolves around how you want to sound to disperse. When you put speakers in grid, you get upper mid/high frequency cancellation everywhere except being directly in front of it.

Put speakers in a line and you get cancellation only in the direction of the line, which is why you see vertical arrays of speakers at concerts - to minimise cancellation in the horizontal plane.
[/quote]

I knew someone would bite...! :)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1441971756' post='2863372']

As requested. The combo on the left is a CMD121. Both have their back panels parallel.
Coke can is standard size.

It's really light to carry. I'd say making one that has a docking port to take the amp would be a cool option; so the amp is protected and saves you carrying it as a separate item.
[/quote]
Wicked, that looks ace! Finally tried the Retro Two10 last night and can safely say I am now disappointed I didn't go for one of these last week. Ah well ;-)

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1441972196' post='2863377']
I knew someone would bite...! :)
[/quote]

Its a fair cop, I kind of sussed it later when I spotted your post count but it was too late to gracefully back out.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1441961025' post='2863223']
Can you put it beside a can of Coke for scale purposes please (not one of the crappy tiny ones you get on airplanes)
:)
I can only truly guage the size of something if it's beside a can of coke.
[/quote]

yes! :)

As requested. The combo on the left is a CMD121. Both have their back panels parallel.
Coke can is standard size.

It's really light to carry. I'd say making one that has a docking port to take the amp would be a cool option; so the amp is protected and saves you carrying it as a separate item.
[/quote]

ha ha! the perfect photo.

Now we need a review comparing the CMD121P combo to the One+LMIII. Tone, output, girth... pleeeease :)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1441972058' post='2863375']
Question here for the wise: Is there any reason why I shouldn't use it as an expansion to the CM121?

I know that due to the watts rating, of course I'd need to keep it turned down.
[/quote]

I used to have a Schroeder mini10R. It was roughly the size of the Retro One, but heavier, and rated to 300W.
I used it quite a bit with my CMD121P combo, and it was a nice combination. I played quite a few small bar gigs like that, where its small footprint was ideal, and it mnoved a lot more air than you'd think. I don't see why those two would not work well together. You won't break anything, so try it :)

[/quote]

I found that my EA Wizzy 10 (which is very close in size to this) and a Markbass or other small head fit very neatly inside a padded bag meant for a cajon (which are usually around 30 x 30 x 50cm). So that could be a good option for something you can sling over your shoulder and lug around.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1441977937' post='2863477']
I found that my EA Wizzy 10 (which is very close in size to this) and a Markbass or other small head fit very neatly inside a padded bag meant for a cajon (which are usually around 30 x 30 x 50cm). So that could be a good option for something you can sling over your shoulder and lug around.
[/quote]
Thanks BotB. I do have a case for the head. Nice touch, having the shoulder strap though.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1441977937' post='2863477']
[/quote]
Thanks for the link to Cajon. Didn't know about that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uLsM9vp3dw

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1441984079' post='2863550']
How would this stand up to a 3-4 person band practice?
[/quote] On it's own No. You would need an amp as well.

Actually: It may well. Can't be sure until it's really tried in anger. If I recall the conversation correctly, Alex seems to think it's loud, but may require a 2nd cab for gigging. I guess it depends on the drummer and the room.

To expand on that, if you'd expect to use a 1x12", 2x10" or 1x15" cab/combo for the practice then I suspect you'd be fine but if you'd normally use something bigger then you might be asking too much (unless the bigger rig was just cruising). Once you push into cone overdrive it's pretty obnoxiously loud for something so small but running clean it's more restrained. Hope that helps!

Got mine an hour ago, thanks Alex. I put it under a Puma 500 and plugged the DB in. It's very clear with a lot of bottom, much of which I eq'd out. Early days, everything sounds good in my room only to sometimes disappoint on the gig. I'm playing next Tuesday at a funeral after-party - yes, really - and I'll take it with me. Very much looking forward to gigging it. If it can equal a 12" for power handling and performance it may be my go-to cab. It's amazingly light. Watch this space.

I can usually use TC Electronic RS210 x 1 for rehearsing with bands. I've just signed up to two bands from a hiatus of mainly playing learning and playing guitar, but back into bass full swing soon.

As I've got a VW Beetle a 1x10 that can handle a rehearsal would make my life easier!

I've used Ampeg 1x15 combos before for rehearsals (at the room) with a 3-4 piece band and had no probs. These bands won't be any louder.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1442007917' post='2863853']
I can usually use TC Electronic RS210 x 1 for rehearsing with bands. I've just signed up to two bands from a hiatus of mainly playing learning and playing guitar, but back into bass full swing soon.

As I've got a VW Beetle a 1x10 that can handle a rehearsal would make my life easier!

I've used Ampeg 1x15 combos before for rehearsals (at the room) with a 3-4 piece band and had no probs. These bands won't be any louder.
[/quote]

Sounds like it'll be fine!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1441959768' post='2863210']
it's tiny! (and I love the way it looks :))
I want to hear these minibeast! Especially with that very same amplifier

[/quote]

You know Rich (Grangur) I'm not sure whether to love you or hate you. I've been saving up for a AER Amp One as a go to for small to medium gigs but my Hartke has been making a few odd noises so I was going to look at a LMIII as a replacement/backup. Can't afford both but this rig would be cheaper than the AER. So I have to think about it. BUT, buying a speaker instead of building one, well that really goes against the grain. Any chance of you passing this way again, with your rig?

The J East Retro is sounding lovely by the way.

Edited by Phil Starr

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1442332800' post='2866129']
How does the displacement compare to a gen 2 Midget? Would they play nicely together?
[/quote]

Displacement is around 20% less. Not a pairing I've tried but they're very different designs, almost opposite ends of the nice bass guitar speaker spectrum!