Why become a member? ×

Bass Lessons: Are they worth the money?

Naetharu

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1441297266' post='2857724']
Bass wise, the best tutor I've had was Steve Lawson who I studied with for a couple of years or so.

There were some amazing bassists at uni who I studied with too, but for various reasons didn't get much from, mainly because I wasn't interested in developing my traditional bass playing skills, it wasn't stimulating creatively for me.
[/quote]

Steve Lawson occasionally does live teaching sessions for Scotts Bass Lesson Academy.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1441291863' post='2857644']
one of the other problems with theory is it can get in the way of song writing, it can stop you putting a certain chord with another because it's 'wrong' but discordant can sound good, I may be wrong but did the Beatles ever have professional lessons? some of their chord structures would have been frowned upon and John Lydon's out of tune singing would have horrified some (probably still does) but it works. I play with a pick because of my bass playing influences do but I'll bet if I'd have lessons some teachers would have tried to stop me.
BTW I'm not saying I wouldn't have been a better player with lessons or more precisely theory, but I do think the wrong way can produce interesting results
[/quote]

If something thinks theory is about "right and wrong" then they don't understand theory. Theory tells you how to achieve harmonious and dissonant sounds, the rest is down to artistry.

Edited by bassman7755

I'm a newbie and having lessons with Jon Caulfield in Cardiff ( if you live in South Wales give him a look up) he is probably the best tutor you could ask for ! I have never played any musical instrument and always loved bass. I'm now in month ten and I'm no natural ha. However my point is having a 121 lesson not only inspires but motivates you to learn. It's become a bit obsessional learning new techniques etc and I always have things to learn that build on my skill set and although it's a slow process for me, I feel I'm in safe hands and I know I'm getting there! Having 121 lessons as a newbie I feel is a good strong foundation and with all the frustrations I experience I can contact Jon to go over stuff. The Internet and online learning is perfect if you don't have the resources or a pedigree bass tutor to learn from. Although there are some dodgy you tube tuition on bass out there. Imo get some 121 tuition if you can it helps shape the bass player you aspire to be! Good luck and keep us all updated. 😀

When I started playing my main teachers were John Paul Jones, Andy Fraser and Roger Glover. I also had a book that showed me how to play a 12 bar blues and some basic technique / music theory.

Over the past 40 years I have had a handful of lessons (maybe about a dozen in all) but I certainly learnt the most from listening to records and trying to copy great bass players, that basic instruction book and of course, gigging / playing with other musicians…