Why become a member? ×

Bass Lessons: Are they worth the money?

Naetharu

Hi folks,

Since I started playing bass in March I've taken a few lessons with a couple of different teachers in my area. However, I'm just not sure that I am getting very much out of the lessons that I could not simply achieve on my own with the aid of the Rock-school grade books and various internet lessons/resources.

I was just wondering what other peoples opinions are on paid lessons with a formal teacher? Is it something that you have found useful and if so what did you focus on during your lessons?

Best wishes

James

I think there's no substitute for a real person to help you get the basics right. I think it also gave me some inspiration - if nothing else, you want to look like you have done some work for the next lesson.

If you don't feel you are getting anywhere perhaps you have the wrong teacher or perhaps you don't have a clear enough idea of what you want to achieve?

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1441243495' post='2857251']
If you don't feel you are getting anywhere perhaps you have the wrong teacher or perhaps you don't have a clear enough idea of what you want to achieve?
[/quote]

I have a pretty good idea of what I am after I think - in many ways that is more of the trouble since I don't need assistance in being organized with my routine or setting goals. I'm just curious what people actually do during their lessons as the ones that I have taken seem to be a bit of a waste of time. I just end up going through some stuff and spending a bit of time covering certain tricky bits in songs. Nothing wrong with doing that but its the same thing I would do at home anyhow and it's costing me £30 for the hour.

I guess I am hoping that someone is going to come along and post that they do x/y/z during their lessons that has been very valuable to them and then I can perhaps try the same. Just right now I'm finding it hard to justify the cost given the return I am getting.

It's all about the teacher. If your willing to learn and have an aptitude for music you will pick it up, however how quickly you learn and learn correctly is down to the right teacher. Also it's worth mentioning that you must put in the hours practicing. Download a scale app and practice those for hours. Over and over. I think a teacher is critical at the beginning and again once you've reached a level where you can play but find you have questions about technique etc. Good luck. Stick with the lessons for now, if they aren't working then try a new teacher.

It's been a long time for me now... but we did a lot of theory and we practiced and analysed a lot of musical styles that I professed little or no interest in. And it was all good for me :P

A good teacher pushes you out of your comfort zone into stuff you would not do on your own!

Edited by thepurpleblob

Yes, they undoubtedly helped me. A lot.
As has been said though, the quality of the teaching has a lot to do with it.
Every lesson would be some area that my teacher (Jon Caulfield) felt needed improving. Then he would show me a good example of what we were looking to acheive/play, and explain any theory behind it. Explain the techniques involved, demonstrate the technique involved, then work at it with me. Pointing out any things i should do differently, or any flaws in my technique as i was learning to play. Then we would usually construct a groove or line, that contained whatever aspect of playing i'd just been working on.
So one week it could be ghost notes. Next could be legato. Next could be constructing a walking bass line. Next could be .... and so on.
It sounds like it was quite regimented. It wasn't though. In general the lessons just followed this path.
The feedback you get from a good lesson cant be replicated from online lessons, and as good as Scotts are (and they are good IMO) a good teacher, face to face will help you more. That why you pay more! Also, a good teacher will be hugely motivating when you see them play as it will open your eyes as to what can potentially be achieved.

I think it all depends on your learning style and if it fits with the teaching style of the tutor.

I would never have had the self motivation to teach myself. But I wanted to practice in between lessons so at the next lesson we could move on. Also I love the interaction with the teacher. If there's something I don't understand I can ask him and get an answer straight away.
He's introduced me to types of music I never particularly liked. Apart from helping me to enjoy something new, it's also come in handy when playing with other people (funk leaps to mind in my case)

He would often structure his lessons round one song, and use it to illustrate a particular point. So by the end of the lesson I would have s new song to play, but also learned something about, say, descending bass lines, modes, arpeggios or whatever.
He tends not to teach me particular songs now. He knows I can now usually listen to a piece of music and work out the bass line for myself. So our lessons tend to be more on the theory side. He's trying to improve my sight reading at the moment.
He taught me from scratch 4 years ago. Within a year I was in a (somewhat terrible) band. I could have stopped the lessons then I guess, but I just love what I get out of them. I only go every three weeks or so now. It's great to get that little boost every so often

I do recognise that I am very fortunate to be able to afford it.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1441264292' post='2857291']
If you're organised and self motivated, then try Scotts Bass Lessons Academy. There are some really good lessons and resources on there.

www.scottsbasslessons.com
[/quote]

I've signed up there to have a look - it certainly seems well worth following whatever way I go with the formal lessons in person. Cheers for the heads up!

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1441265276' post='2857295']
Every lesson would be some area that my teacher (Jon Caulfield) felt needed improving. Then he would show me a good example of what we were looking to acheive/play, and explain any theory behind it. Explain the techniques involved, demonstrate the technique involved, then work at it with me. Pointing out any things i should do differently, or any flaws in my technique as i was learning to play. Then we would usually construct a groove or line, that contained whatever aspect of playing i'd just been working on.
So one week it could be ghost notes. Next could be legato. Next could be constructing a walking bass line. Next could be .... and so on.
It sounds like it was quite regimented. It wasn't though. In general the lessons just followed this path.
The feedback you get from a good lesson cant be replicated from online lessons, and as good as Scotts are (and they are good IMO) a good teacher, face to face will help you more. That why you pay more! Also, a good teacher will be hugely motivating when you see them play as it will open your eyes as to what can potentially be achieved.
[/quote]

Cheers, this is what I was after I think. I think this kind of structure to a lesson would actually be pretty helpful - I'm going to have a chat with my teacher and see what we can do. I've just found that so far I turn up and its pretty much left up to me to decide what we are doing that day. It feels like there is little direction or structure being offered to me which is perhaps the problem. I'm fine structuring my own practice, and I'm working on my Rock-school grades in my own time anyhow, but I think I need my lessons to be more organised on the teachers part than they are right now.

Many thanks for your responses folks

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1441265276' post='2857295']
[/quote]

For feedback you need to post a video of your playing in the "Feedback" thread. Other members can comment, but Scott then watches as well and gives his comments in his "Feedback Friday" presentation. You also get to see all the feedback on everyone elses work, so we can all learn from the comments.

Admittedly it's not like having a 1-2-1 discussion, but at an annual subscription for the price of less than 4 1hour lessons, I don't recon it's bad.

I also live not far from the OP and finding a good teacher round here isn't easy.

Edit: a Lifetime subscription is under £200.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1441268297' post='2857319']
I also live not far from the OP and finding a good teacher round here isn't easy.
[/quote]

Aye, its hard to find someone that is an actual bass player (rather than a guitarist who claims they also know how to teach bass) and that is good at teaching. The guy teaching me was a fantastic player but I not so great at knowing how to teach and structure lessons. The other one I tried was really a guitarist and so while he was great for general music theory he didn't have a clue when it came to bass technique a such.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1441268297' post='2857319']
Admittedly it's not like having a 1-2-1 discussion, but at an annual subscription for the price of less than 4 1hour lessons, I don't recon it's bad.

[/quote]

Im not knocking Scotts lessons. Not at all.
I can definitely see the merits of joining the academy.
Im just saying, i think 1-2-1 lessons give you something video lessons can't.
The quality of your lessons are directly related to the quality of your teacher, so if you are having trouble finding a good one, i can see how you'd find them not so useful.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1441272644' post='2857357']
Mine never did much for me. Of far more value was piano lessons with lots of music theory because it helped me to understand how melody and rhythm slotted together and looking at bass from the views of a related instrument gave a fresh perspective.
[/quote]

We did lots of theory that applied to other instruments.
I used to write solo parts phrased as a trumpet would play them to get away from the "normal" bass phrasing etc.
I think if you find a good teacher, it is worth travelling!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1441273285' post='2857369']
Depends if the teacher is any good...
[/quote]
This.

Lots of musicians look to supplement their income by teaching, some are genuinely passionate about teaching their students and inspirational to study with, some are more interested in the cash you put in their pockets than passing on their knowledge, and some are simply not very good at teaching - if you can find a tutor from the first category (and it is worth going out of your way to find one) then it is money well spent.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1441258479' post='2857265']
A good teacher pushes you out of your comfort zone into stuff you would not do on your own!
[/quote]

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1441277328' post='2857423']
As long as you get the right teacher, then I'd say invaluable. It's always good to get a brush-up too every now and again. Luckily I've had good experiences with the likes of Jake Newman.
[/quote]

Jake is an Excellent bassist and (more importantly) an excellent teacher. The two don't always go together, which makes bad lessons a waste of time and money, and good lessons invaluable. In the last 10 years I've had one bass lesson with 'steve' of this parish which was equally as good. I went in with a specific objective in mind (improving my walking) that wasn't going to be solved in just one lesson, but he opened new doors to my playing that I'd not considered before. Waste of money? Categorically no.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1441240017' post='2857243']
Hi folks,

Since I started playing bass in March I've taken a few lessons with a couple of different teachers in my area. However, I'm just not sure that I am getting very much out of the lessons that I could not simply achieve on my own with the aid of the Rock-school grade books and various internet lessons/resources.

I was just wondering what other peoples opinions are on paid lessons with a formal teacher? Is it something that you have found useful and if so what did you focus on during your lessons?

Best wishes

James
[/quote]

What sort of stuff are they teaching you ?.

There might not be many of them about, but a good teacher is worth their weight in gold.

The OP has been playing for 5 months and knows what he "wants" and "doesn't think he's getting much from lessons". I'd suggest that's the problem right there.

After 5 months you know what you [i]want[/i] but don't know what you [i]need[/i].

Find a good teacher who is following one of the recognised teaching plans and have faith in him to be teaching you what [i]need[/i] to know.

there's so much stuff on you tube I do wonder if they are a waste of money, I've never had a lesson and managed to play the stuff I want to play, Most people when they start just want to play something they like, lots of teachers (not all) kill the initial enthusiasm by trying to get too technical or give the pupils something to learn that they're not in to.
When I started playing guitar a friend told my to tune it to the E chord and just barre the top three strings and move my finger up and down the neck, it got me hooked because I could get a tune out of it within 10 minutes, I passed this onto several people and they all went on to play properly, it kept their initial enthusiasm going