Why become a member? ×

September Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

lurksalot

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1441326033' post='2858033']
OK, I'll push the boat out...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/every-seventh-wave"]Every Seventh Wave ...[/url]

Enjoy. B)
[/quote]
It works for me. I was all at sea listening to that. There were barnacles and seaweed and all kinds of imaginary ocean dwellers splashing around inside my head. Alas there were no mermaids to rescue me. Well done Dad.

To kill a tiger to make powdered penises,
That is as mean as meanness is.

It's taken me three days to come up with that. Three days where I haven't been composing for the composition challenge. I don't want any negativity please. It's hard (no pun) to write about penises when 90% of my thoughts are consumed by its opposite opposite. Obviously not the opposite of 'tiger penis'. That would be weird. It would give rough sex a whole new meaning.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1441396599' post='2858682']
To kill a tiger to make powdered penises,
That is as mean as meanness is.

It's taken me three days to come up with that......................
[/quote]

maybe , but it would take me three years to be able to croon it as you would in 3 minutes ! and even then mine would suck tonally :D

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1441451647' post='2858972']

maybe , but it would take me three years to be able to croon it as you would in 3 minutes ! and even then mine would suck tonally :D
[/quote]
We are talking about penises here I would avoid the use of the word "suck". :D

I have been working on something that has merit in it's own right but probably won't win many votes as it's relationship with the image is not readily apparent. This month, I have written a guitar trio piece (gtr/bs/dr). In terms of process, I wrote the piece on Sibelius, saved it as a midi file and transferred it to Cubase. In Cubase. I then re-recorded the bass as a real double bass and the guitar as a real guitar, leaving the drum part as the only VST in the final recording. The guitar melody and chord parts are easy enough to play but there is a middle section. And here is the problem. I can' t play it. It is too hard. I am trying to play each phrase and cut and paste them in but, so far, it's a bit sh*t!! If anyone knows Allan Holdsworth, can you ask him if he is available next week?

This isn't my entry, as it's not my track, but one that I've remixed. But it would have fitted the theme for the possible aftermath.

https://soundcloud.com/xgsjx/on-the-beach-gx-mix

I've made a start, just need to get working on it now. :)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1441710815' post='2861030']
I can' t play it. It is too hard.
[/quote]

Nigtmare. I have basically finished the recording and now need to mix it but I have ended up with a real electric guitar and a VST nylon acoustic guitar that should quite nice when playing is unison (a kind of chorusling effect) but the middle eight section sticks out like a sore thumb so I need to find a way of tempering it to make it sit more comfortablly in the mix. Learned some new stuff about my VSTs, though, which is useful.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1441710815' post='2861030']
I can' t play it. It is too hard.
[/quote]
I have not used Cubase since the end of the last century, but at least in Logic, you can set the speed to a really slow pace when recording a hard part, and then it will be played back in the speed you select for the project.
If this is not possible in Cubase, maybe you could record the part in half speed (or any fraction of the speed you want) in something like Audacity, and then increase the speed of the section before importing it back into Cubase.

[quote name='alibabu' timestamp='1441794602' post='2861768']
I have not used Cubase since the end of the last century, but at least in Logic, you can set the speed to a really slow pace when recording a hard part, and then it will be played back in the speed you select for the project.
If this is not possible in Cubase, maybe you could record the part in half speed (or any fraction of the speed you want) in something like Audacity, and then increase the speed of the section before importing it back into Cubase.
[/quote]

This can work... but it tends to affect the pitch when sped up to the correct tempo, sometimes very noticeably. Worth a try though! :)

There are some MIDI-based VSTs that emulate guitars fairly convincingly, but they tend to cost. Here's an example:

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/rob-papen-rg-178486

[quote name='alibabu' timestamp='1441794602' post='2861768']
in Logic, you can set the speed to a really slow pace when recording a hard part, and then it will be played back in the speed you select for the project.
[/quote]
wow!!!! Didn't know that worked. I think I tried it once on a mic'd guitar but the guitar track remained the same and the rest sped up. Must give it another try it would be really useful.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1441795044' post='2861772']
wow!!!! Didn't know that worked. I think I tried it once on a mic'd guitar but the guitar track remained the same and the rest sped up. Must give it another try it would be really useful.
[/quote]
in Logic it's called Flex editing. I use it on vocals as not only can you change the speed, you can the change pitch of each individual note.

I used it on this song to speed the original vocal up from 100 bpm to 124 bpm & then changed the pitch to make a female harmony up a major 3rd & adjusted the notes to fit the scale & also alter some of the notes to a different interval.

I'm not happy with the bass sound though. Sounds cheap. :(

Edit: Just realised I posted the same track in this thread a couple of posts up! Deleted the link in this thread, so scroll up. :)

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1441829326' post='2862193']
Sounds like hard work. I'll give it a bash though.
[/quote]
It's surprisingly easy. This chap explains the pitch side really well & to make a harmony, you just make a duplicate track & copy which vocal parts you want, open the editor & drag the pitch up. Then if you want the notes on say, Bb to be on B, click the Bb key on the piano roll & then click one of the highlighted notes & drag it up to B. All of them move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSEWEpHUh3w

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1441752190' post='2861567']
This isn't my entry, as it's not my track, but one that I've remixed. But it would have fitted the theme for the possible aftermath.

https://soundcloud.com/xgsjx/on-the-beach-gx-mix

I've made a start, just need to get working on it now. :)
[/quote]
That's a really cool trick. The voice sounds processed but it fits the track well. I love the bass sound. Really cool tune. I will be trying out this flex pitch myself.

I kind of nailed that impossible guitar part last night by playing it on my seven string bass!! It is not perfect but it is close enough for the exercise and I have mixed it all. I will post it as soon as I can.

I did learn a lot about recording this month. Every challenge has it's learning points but this month has been exceptional.