Why become a member? ×

Songs you never want to play again

colgraff

The one that comes up in my band from time to time which I loathe playing is 'Songs for Lovers' by some bloke called something Ashford or similar. Every now and then Ms Singer remembers it and insists we play it. Hard to imagine a song more dreary.

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1441138612' post='2856444']
Pretty much every first dance my wedding band has played...the majority of those were utter tosh - especially 'I only want to be with you'...I feel sick
[/quote]
Yes it's always a depressing time when a week before the gig you get the email saying "we want you to play and then he kissed me by the crystals as our first dance"

Despite the fact that so many of the songs in our set appear on various people's lists, there's nothing I actually dislike playing, though I'm not terribly enthusiastic about "Summer of 69" or "All Right Now". I rather like doing "Mustang Sally". I think you're all just a bunch of miserable bastards. :D

We're talking a long time ago, but the one song I always hated playing was Metallica's Seek & Destroy. I played it in several bands but I had never heard the original version (which wasn't that unusual for me) and didn't hear it until I had stopped playing in bands. The last couple of bands I played in started playing Enter Sandman instead (which I also hadn't heard) which was actually a relief.

I'd vote never again for Spanish Eyes.

Over the years I've played most of the numbers listed so far. IME, play them well and the audience will think we are great and that gets us rebooked. If that happens I'll happily carry on playing them and others like them for as long as I can.

The cover band set is there for a specific purpose, which is to make us as popular and successful as we can be. I also play in Blues, Soul and originals bands. The sets for all of these bands have a different job to do. You make your choices when you pick the repetoire, then the main criteria for any song is only did we play it as well as we could.

No one has mentioned Amy Winehouse's version of Valerie.

Stupid, stupid song. It's about a guy who misses his ginger girlfriend and as far as I am aware Amy wasn't that way inclined so it's just plain silly. Plus I hate that pseudo 60s sound and was never a fan of her voice. I'd rather stick needles in my eyes

The other two would be Sex On Fire and Dakota as they've been on every wedding and function band's set list and they weren't that good to begin with. Especially the wailing on the KOL tune

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1441118595' post='2856165'] All of the below turn my stomach. I dep quite a lot and when I get pub "classic rock" bands approaching me I know that pretty much all of these will feature and it makes me sad. Oh well - think of the cash. [b]Black Night[/b] [b]Can’t Get Enough[/b] [b]Alright Now [/b] [b]Born To Be Wild[/b] [b]Paranoid[/b] [b]Doctor Doctor [/b] [b]Black Velvet[/b] [b]Brown Sugar[/b] [b]Honky Tonk Women[/b] [b]Tie Your Mother Down [/b] [b]Shook me All Night Long[/b] [b]She Sells Sanctuary[/b] [b]Whole lotta Love[/b] [b]The Chain[/b] [b]Sweet Home Alabama [/b] [b]Rock And Roll[/b] [b]You Really Got Me Going[/b] [b]Highway[/b][b] to Hell[/b] [b]Sweet Child[/b] [b]Boys Are Back[/b] [b]You Give Love A Bad Name [/b] [b]Summer of 69[/b] [b]Sex On Fire[/b] [b]Dakota[/b] [/quote]

Could I have your gigs please?

We trot out Mustang Sally at most gigs, much to Ms Singer's disgust, but she joins in enthusiastically enough on the chorus parts. One song that is guaranteed to get even the tiredest audience up on its feet and singing along. I quite enjoy playing it as I play a game with the drummer to see how many variations we can make on a bass run/drum fill at the end of the turnarounds.

[quote name='Qlank' timestamp='1441208258' post='2856959']
I like Mustang Sally. Only been playing it for a year though.
Never playing again:
Alright Now;
Smoke on the water;
Paranoid;
Creep by Radiohead-Pointless.
[/quote]

we do mustang cos it always goes down well and we get the ladies up for backing vocals
we've just started doing creep and while i can see that the bassline is the same all the way through our singer nails it so it goes down well.

one i could easily live without is Teenage Kicks - utter sh*te

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1441193333' post='2856779']
I quite enjoy playing it as I play a game with the drummer to see how many variations we can make on a bass run/drum fill at the end of the turnarounds.
[/quote]

That's something we've done for years on any song that we've either been playing seemingly forever or that we don't like but the crowd do. Certainly livens things up - especially the slap bass bits on 500 Miles or the Popeye theme during I'm a Believer :D

The latest one is playing Spirit Of The Radio during Don't Stop Believing. It's sooo close at times

Edited by Delberthot