Why become a member? ×

New Mesa class D amp

fretmeister

Hmm... just looked at the pics on the Mesa site again and I do declare there's a break from the Mesa norm... Supply voltage of 100-240v! Ordering at $699 from that states with no worries about changing power supply transformers may be a possibility!!!

I don't mind that the wattage is the same at 4 ohms and 2 ohms. At the moment I only use 2 ohms for the flexibility of the cab config. I use a 4 ohm and 8 ohm cab for bigger gigs.

I'm waiting to see what the early reviews say about the tone. I don't like amps with a pillowy and hard to control low end. Some Mesa amps seem to wallow in the low end.

I use 2 different amps at the moment, so I'd be happy if I could get that down to 1 amp. Less boxes in the front room would get me some brownie points.

Looks good, the price ain't to bad either. Not a fan that it doesn't have a tuner out option. hopefully it may have something on the lines of this so you can rack mount it [url="http://en.euroguitar.com/view_images_149118"]http://en.euroguitar.com/view_images_149118[/url]

Edited by sambass1982

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1441237800' post='2857236']
[url="http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/mesa-unveils-subway-bass-amp-and-cabinets-627175"]http://www.musicrada...cabinets-627175[/url]

Reasonable pricing for once!
[/quote]

Yeah... I'm surprised at that. It's about time..!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1441237800' post='2857236']
[url="http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/mesa-unveils-subway-bass-amp-and-cabinets-627175"]http://www.musicrada...cabinets-627175[/url]

Reasonable pricing for once!
[/quote]

[b]I disagree! :o[/b]
It's $699 in the US!
By today's exchange rate, the amp costs the equivalent of $1127.99 here in the UK, that's $428.99 in tax and shipping.
For that, I'd expect it to be hand delivered in a solid gold box by two playboy bunnies!

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1441267226' post='2857309']
It's $699 in the US!
By today's exchange rate, the amp costs the equivalent of $1127.99 here in the UK, that's $428.99 in tax and shipping.
For that, I'd expect it to be hand delivered in a solid gold box by two playboy bunnies!

Eude
[/quote]

Actually, looking at it that way.. same old Mesa. :lol:

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1441268718' post='2857321']
Actually, looking at it that way.. same old Mesa. :lol:
[/quote]

I appreciate that there's additional costs getting to into the UK, but that's just unfair.
If I was able to afford a new amp anytime soon, I would've been interested in this, but not when it's such an obvious rip off.
I appreciate that Mesa stuff could come with a premium, but why only to us chumps over here?

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1441269187' post='2857329']

I appreciate that there's additional costs getting to into the UK, but that's just unfair.
If I was able to afford a new amp anytime soon, I would've been interested in this, but not when it's such an obvious rip off.
I appreciate that Mesa stuff could come with a premium, but why only to us chumps over here?

Eude
[/quote]

Actually you are spot on. Plus the U.S. get a five year warranty.

Don't get me started on the fact we barely ever see any kind of discount code/offer, which in the U.S. is a normal way of buying music gear.

Greed.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1441267226' post='2857309']
It's $699 in the US!

Eude
[/quote]

Agreed, if the pricing was reasonable it'd be around £500, e.g the US price plus shipping.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1441269187' post='2857329']

Eude
[/quote]

+1 and interestingly the German made Tecamp Puma comes in at the same price in the U.S. as it is over here, despite transportation,tax/duty charges.
Guess in order to remain competetive Tecamp and other European manufacturers have to cut their profit margin per item when selling in the U.S., but its a double whammy for us on this side of the pond.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1441273144' post='2857364']
+1 and interestingly the German made Tecamp Puma comes in at the same price in the U.S. as it is over here, despite transportation,tax/duty charges.
Guess in order to remain competetive Tecamp and other European manufacturers have to cut their profit margin per item when selling in the U.S., but its a double whammy for us on this side of the pond.
[/quote]

Maybe we subsidise things to keep prices down for the US?

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1441273296' post='2857370']

Maybe we subsidise things to keep prices down for the US?

Eude
[/quote]

I agree. However their will be plenty of GAS building up over here, particularly with this piece of kit sporting the Mesa Boogie logo.(to be honest I feel the GAS coming on myself)

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1441274123' post='2857383']
I agree. However their will be plenty of GAS building up over here, particularly with this piece of kit sporting the Mesa Boogie logo.(to be honest I feel the GAS coming on myself)
[/quote]

True, it does sound nice and it's bound to be very well made, but I just couldn't stomach paying SO much more than our US counterparts.
If I was made of money, fair enough, but I ain't so my when I can afford a change I'll spend my limited budget elsewhere...

Eude

Yes the pricing is a bit of an eye opener... depends how much you want it though. I'm not convinced this will offer something that cannot be bought elsewhere cheaper (how far away is the new Tech21 class D going to be from this?).

I bought a mesa mini rectifier for guitar as it was the only transportable amp that gave me the tone I needed, so paying more in £s than the RRP in $s whilst painful was unavoidable really as I couldn't get what I wanted elsewhere.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1441274995' post='2857399']

True, it does sound nice and it's bound to be very well made, but I just couldn't stomach paying SO much more than our US counterparts.
If I was made of money, fair enough, but I ain't so my when I can afford a change I'll spend my limited budget elsewhere...

Eude
[/quote]
Likewise (GAS permitting). It is not always the case that the more you pay the more you get.
10 months ago I purchased the now discontinued cheap and cheerful Kustom KXB500 (350 Euro) as a back up. Hands down this is the best micro amp I have ever used and by some distance. It knocks the Tecamp Puma,TH 500 and various Markbass amps right out of the ballpark IMO and would Probably give this Mesa Boogie class D a good run for its money.