Why become a member? ×

New Mesa class D amp

fretmeister

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' timestamp='1450801967' post='2936019']
All our new lightweight Mesa heads and cabs have now been sold. We hope to see fresh supplies in late February 2016.
[/quote]

Your web domain name seems to have gone Walkabout - Have you got a Strategy to Rectify this? ;)

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1452440315' post='2949936']
Your web domain name seems to have gone Walkabout - Have you got a Strategy to Rectify this? ;)
[/quote]
I'm afraid we are suffering temporary problems with our server hosts. We are doing some routine maintenance that they recommend but it keeps tripping an automatic block. We are pulling our hair out (what's left!).
I'm sure it'll be sorted very soon.

Meanwhile, the UK distributor of Mesa Boogie has just found us a couple more of these heads. We should have them in a couple of days, along with more of the lightweight Mesa cabs :)

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1452442626' post='2949959']
I picked up one of these together with a TKS 212 from Bass Gear just after Christmas.

I had a chance to A/B the head with a Tonehammer 500 through both one of the super ATS 212's and the TKS.

Maybe it's the slightly larger output of the Mesa, but it sounded far more "alive" and the Deep switch has to be heard to be believed :)

I had a Mesa Prodigy Four:88 previously and it was one of the best sounding heads I've owned. This one comes very close indeed at a far lighter weight

[URL=http://s945.photobucket.com/user/nwmurphy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_16.jpeg.html][IMG]http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad298/nwmurphy/Mobile%20Uploads/image_16.jpeg[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]

Nice one mate, looks like a good match. How are they standing up on a gig?

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1452442626' post='2949959']
I picked up one of these together with a TKS 212 from Bass Gear just after Christmas.

I had a chance to A/B the head with a Tonehammer 500 through both one of the super ATS 212's and the TKS.

Maybe it's the slightly larger output of the Mesa, but it sounded far more "alive" and the Deep switch has to be heard to be believed :)

I had a Mesa Prodigy Four:88 previously and it was one of the best sounding heads I've owned. This one comes very close indeed at a far lighter weight

[url="http://s945.photobucket.com/user/nwmurphy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_16.jpeg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Very neat looking rig Nick.

I tried mine last night for the first time since getting it on Fri. Now I gig with a Tecamp Puma 500 (the original Powersoft version) and a Tecamp M212. I rehearse with an SWR 350X Silver Face and 2 Yamaha BBT210 cabs (great rig but too heavy for gigging).

First impression after plugging it into the M212 was that this thing is loud. Very loud. Second impression was that it has a certain heft to its sound - certainly fatter than the Puma, which is considered to be hefty in its own right. With the gain at 2 o clock, voicing at 11, everything else at 12 and treble around 2 it made my Stingray sound amazing. Quite a lot of room filling low end and enough mids and highs to keep me happy. Overall it was very focused and responded well with me fiddling with the controls on the bass. I was going to directly A/B it with the Puma but didn't have enough time but I might get round to it on Tue.

It certainly has a completely different character and was much warmer and heftier than I was expecting, however that high end as well as some lovely overdrive can easily be dialled in. Traditional lovers of heavy bass amps might want to at least try it before writing it off.

I'm not saying it's the best amp ever made, cause that's just stupid, but it made me go "wow!" when I plugged it all in and played my first note without knowing what I was going to be hearing.

Further updates will follow if anyone requires them!!

D.

Oh, and here's some pics:

That sounds very interesting mate, thank you for the review!
'Heft' is the only thing missing from the sound of a class D from my experience, so if this thing can manage it, I think it will get a lot of fans.
Hopefully, however they've managed it will trickle through the rest of the manufacturers too now :)

Eude

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1453989723' post='2965029']
I wish more amps didn't have fans. Fan noise annoys me so much.

Tecamp, Demeter and PJB manage it.
[/quote]

Fan noise annoys me too. I've let a few amps go for that reason. I don't even notice it on the Subway. VERY quiet.