Why become a member? ×

New Mesa class D amp

fretmeister

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1441469377' post='2859101']
There's a post on TB suggesting that the power module in these might be the [url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/fun-with-ice-modules-the-new-700asc.1107755/"]ICEPower 700ASC,[/url]
[/quote]

Confirmed. I have been using one of these modules for 6 months now, and while it's nice enough, the whole engineering package is what counts IMHO. And so as always, just depends on what you want and need to hear and feel for your particular playing situations.

I can't stop looking at this as an evolved GB Shuttle 9* and i just laughed at the description of a "feature that sets your Subway D-800 appart from other bass amps (...) a studio grade XLR balanced DI", it's true that it sets the amp appart from other amps but i'm pretty sure that it's only setting it apart from all other Mesa amps ;). that DI has the exact same features i have on the 9.2 and even on the Promethean head.

The amp sounds great and this new IEC module is clearly better than the old one. The reason i'm not jumping in to buy one is that they didn't use the Walkabout parametric EQ section on this amp. It would have made it the perfect amp!

*i know, i know, one of GB developers is working at Mesa ;)

Sounds good on the clip, but a little late getting to the party
I've just been browsing Bassdirect's second hand amp section, and that's where all the good amps are. What is everbody thinking? parametric mids you need one at least preferably two ;) if they are on your amp, when you need um you can :D :D :D rather than :angry: :angry: :angry:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1442078478' post='2864306']
I think the better amps ...IMO...don't have para metric controls..and I have two that don't, which I think is a very good thing.

Having said that...my pre amp onboard does..

A 4 band semi parametric is old hat now.. IMO.
[/quote]
May be right , but still a lot of love for my old Eden head - really nice voiced Semi Parametric

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1442142089' post='2864590']
Part of me agrees, I have two plug and play amps with enough flexibility most of the time -MB and GK but still would like an amp with one good para mid to Eq the odd bad room, leaving my bass pre free for variations required song by song
[/quote]

I used to think that a semi para was a good idea for notching..but I have so liitle concern or problems with bad rooms, I've retired those amps..
....an SWR SM400 and a TF550-B, and just go with standard EQ amps.

This is all part of optimising a sound with the style I play... so I very rarely have to touch ANY EQ... and what works at home works on the gig.
I do have tone shaping onboard an active bass, but again, I don't tweak much if at all. I turn up...play a bit, set the volume in the sound check and
I'm off...apart from maybe having to turn up again as sound check didn't actually achieve what it was supposed to..which is a pet peeve, but there you go,
It is only levels not EQ.

So...none of this trying to find a sound... I've done all that beforehand. Not a short journey tho.. ;)

Any sound changes for a track..I do with my hands/tecnique but basically, one sound fits all, atm

Edited by JTUK

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1444433438' post='2883322']
I'm off to the state's at Christmas, wonder if I'd get away with one in my suitcase ;-p
[/quote]
Well why not bring back 2, one for me and one for you :-)

Wonder does this amp require a modification to change it from 110v to 230v?

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1444468373' post='2883432']
Wonder does this amp require a modification to change it from 110v to 230v?
[/quote]

I don't think so. I vaguely remember this was discussed in the mega thread over on Talkbass. Also have a look at the Mesa Website and use the Zoom feature to see the details at the back of the amp --> [url="http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/bass/subway-series/subway-d800/index.html#"]http://www.mesaboogi...800/index.html#[/url]

Edited by lowerbassment

[quote name='lowerbassment' timestamp='1444468952' post='2883442']
I don't think so. I vaguely remember this was discussed in the mega thread over on Talkbass. Also have a look at the Mesa Website and use the Zoom feature to see the details at the back of the amp --> [url="http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/bass/subway-series/subway-d800/index.html#"]http://www.mesaboogi...800/index.html#[/url]
[/quote]
Interesting and no 110v/220v switch. Guess this amp switches voltage automatically, or perhaps their is an internal switch/jumper?

• 3 weeks later...