Why become a member? ×

New Mesa class D amp

fretmeister

Like Bergantino, Mesa tightly manage their RRP in all countries, ie discounts have to be run by them first. I can't see Westside having any say in that. The final price is made up of many components some of which are not under Mesa's control.

As no one here knows any of the details involved in the manufacture, distribution and tax and regulation regimes involved, comparing prices around the world is a wast of time.

If this thing sounds good then you decide if it's worth it or not.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1441278988' post='2857443']
Like Bergantino, Mesa tightly manage their RRP in all countries, ie discounts have to be run by them first. I can't see Westside having any say in that. The final price is made up of many components some of which are not under Mesa's control.

As no one here knows any of the details involved in the manufacture, distribution and tax and regulation regimes involved, comparing prices around the world is a wast of time.

If this thing sounds good then you decide if it's worth it or not.
[/quote]

To be fair, we can compare manufacturers based in the same country who export similar products. Mesa always seem to slap a massive premium on for export sales.

Maybe they use gold-plated shipping containers.

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1441272999' post='2857363']
Dude. VAT. Import duty. Come on.
[/quote]

Well the US street price will include their sales tax which won't apply to exports, but I never said it was only mesa shafting us - I mean come on, 40% combined VAT and import duty, welcome to rip-off Britain!

As others have said, plenty of other manufacturers manage more competitive pricing than this despite similar overheads.

Mesa have their pricing structure and it has always been high in comparison to the competition. Nothing new there.

In this country we are regularly ripped off over prices and services. Nothing new there either. As long as our choices of leader are always between the likes of Cameron and Corbyn there will be no light at the end of the tunnel.

Anyway. . . . I'm wondering if it sounds better than the amps I currently use.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1441280032' post='2857462']
I fail to see what the issue is if the list price for the Subway turns out to be £739.
[/quote]

It's horrid to read a list of $699 on the manufacturer's site to then hear it's going to cost considerably more than that over here.
Like you say, if an Aggie TH500 is £749 full UK list, I guess that the Subway is very much in the right ballpark amoung it's competitors.
It just stings to be able to make the comparison in prices so easily.

Eude

I agree. And the real stinger is that Aguilar amps will be discounted and Mesa amps won't. So you're looking at £739 compared to £629.

There are people who will always buy a name or the latest fad, but my £110 has to buy that amount of better tone.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1441279334' post='2857449']
Well the US street price will include their sales tax which won't apply to exports, but I never said it was only mesa shafting us - I mean come on, 40% combined VAT and import duty, welcome to rip-off Britain!

As others have said, plenty of other manufacturers manage more competitive pricing than this despite similar overheads.
[/quote]

In the USA Mesa probably sell directly to their dealers and provide support. In other countries, like the UK, there is a distributor and their dealer network all of whom have to make a profit margin and pay the cost of warehousing and distribution, local warranty support, in-country advertising and product promotion, exhibitions, etc. on top of the cost of buying and importing what is in effect a low quantity product.

Bergantino seem to be different in that they sell directly to their in-country dealers.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1441281054' post='2857475']
In the USA Mesa probably sell directly to their dealers and provide support. In other countries, like the UK, there is a distributor and their dealer network all of whom have to make a profit margin and pay the cost of warehousing and distribution, local warranty support, in-country advertising and product promotion, exhibitions, etc. on top of the cost of buying and importing what is in effect a low quantity product.

Bergantino seem to be different in that they sell directly to their in-country dealers.
[/quote]

I'd much prefer it if most manufacturers just sold direct to stores. I've barely ever seen an advantage (in my personal experience) with having a dealer. Depends if you've ever needed a lot of after sales care.

When I mean discounts, I don't just mean MESA, I mean all brands. Sweet water etc often hand out 15-20% codes. We barely ever see such things over here.

I've seen examples of profit margins with gear, even from dealers, and some of them are quite interesting to say the least.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1441282250' post='2857495']
I'd much prefer it if most manufacturers just sold direct to stores. I've barely ever seen an advantage (in my personal experience) with having a dealer. Depends if you've ever needed a lot of after sales care.

[/quote]

Unfortunately this becomes eventually becomes an administration nightmare for the manufacturer who finds himself dealing dozens of companies per country rather than filtering them all through a single distributor. Even your friends Musicman find it necessary to route all their business through Strings and Things.

Also there are considerable savings in consolidating shipments through a single company.

Edited by obbm

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1441272999' post='2857363']
Dude. VAT. Import duty. Come on.
[/quote]

£500 would be a bit low, but the US price is about £460, plus about 25% VAt and duty is £575, so there's about £150 in price difference once you've accounted for shipping.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1441366077' post='2858285']
£500 would be a bit low, but the US price is about £460, plus about 25% VAt and duty is £575, so there's about £150 in price difference once you've accounted for shipping.
[/quote]

That's only a valid comparison if you are buying privately from a US dealer.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1441368421' post='2858316']
I'm comparing buying privately from a US dealer with buying privately from a UK dealer.
[/quote]

so in the event of a problem you'd send it back to the USA to be fixed?

Im going to wait a good 6 months, before i part with any money. I'll be searching on TB and here for reviews and be very much glued to youtube, for the demo's. I live in North Wales, so i forever buy blind (shakes fist at the lack of music shops around here) I hope it is sorted out with similar pricing to the US as in the UK...but i very much doubt it!

Edited by sambass1982

There's a post on TB suggesting that the power module in these might be the [url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/fun-with-ice-modules-the-new-700asc.1107755/"]ICEPower 700ASC,[/url] which is next-generation compared to the Genz, Aguilar, Demeter, Tecamp, TC and GK stuff we're familiar with.

If it is, I might be interested.

On the back of Michael's comment above I decided to look inside the Ashdown RM800. It has the new 700ASC in it too, which probably explains why it does indeed "feel" different from the previous Class D heads I've used. Not that I ever really found the MB Fusion wanting... :)