Why become a member? ×

Albums that are not given the recognition they deserve.

colgraff

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1441663095' post='2860780']
Black Sabbath - Sabotage.

Not a fan of Sabbath/heavy metal at all but the album just blows me away every time.

It never seems to get a mention when their work is discussed, which is a shame as it's such a diverse and 'risky' album..
[/quote]

It also happens to be my favourite album ever!

Inspired by seeing several of it's songs played live last night - a massive surprise - I would like to nominate 'Islands' by King Crimson. Terminally unpopular and very much an oddity among their other albums, it's actually rather beautiful and pioneering - Sigur Ros seem to have taken inspiration from it.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1441529501' post='2859455']
Hamburger Concerto by Focus. Didn't have the success of its predecessors Focus 3 and Moving Waves, both of which had very successful singles (Sylvia and Hocus Pocus) - the single from Hamburger Concerto was Harem Scarem which sank without a trace.
[/quote]

If Pierre Van Der Linden was on it it would have been perfect.

Reef- Replenish

Before all the place your hands rubbish, this was a proper riff rock album which sounded vintage and new at the same time.

RHCP-One Hot Minute

Blood Sugar gets all the attention, but I'm really fond of this album. Quirky with some great pop songs and just enough of the old chili's still in there.

[quote name='doctorbass' timestamp='1441876162' post='2862453']
XTC - Go2
[/quote]

I'll admit I didn't see that one coming, so it's probably a very good one for this thread. I'd always assumed "White Music" and "Go 2" were just the preparation for "Drums and Wires".
But you did it: I'll give it another few spins right now.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1441757622' post='2861589']
Palace Brothers. (Later known as Days In The Wake.)

Saltash Bells.

Sound on Sound.

Clear Spot.

Rising Above Bedlam.

Germ-Free Adolescents.
[/quote]

Clear Spot. Good call. It's one of my all time favourite LPs. And it appears to dwell in the shadow of Trout Mask Replica.

It is a truly wonderful album.

I was always under the impression that Family's 'Bandstand' was liked by fans and critics alike and regarded as one of their best, contains two of their best known songs. It got to number 15 in the album chart which isn't shabby. Not something I'd consider under the title of the thread tbh.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1441971063' post='2863357']
"The Slider" by T Rex. "Electric Warrior" tends to be the more recognised album but I think that "The Slider" was a further development of their sound and more sophistication to the songs.
[/quote]Haven't listened to The Slider lately but Electric Warrior hasn't stood the test of time.

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1441051659' post='2855741']
Curved Air...Air Cut, the black sheep of the family with no Darryl Way on board, but 17 year old prodigy Eddie Jobson providing the Violin and the melodrama, this album is a hard rocking hippytastic crossover. I absolutely love it!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11cRJedrR0Q&list=PL501844DB90713215[/media]
[/quote]Great call! :-)