Why become a member? ×

Albums that are not given the recognition they deserve.

colgraff

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1441125007' post='2856255']
I listened to the Rich Kids and I did think punk-lite. I squarely lay the blame at Midge Ure's door.
[/quote]

It was a brave move (on Glen Matlock's part) to get Midge Ure on board, especially considering he was in Slik. He did have some punky credentials in PVC2.

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1441040315' post='2855577']
Motley Crue - Motley Crue

Vince Neil replaced by John Corabi. A bit heavier wth a much better singer. The problem was the dyed-in-the-wool Crue fans never accepted Corabi so Vince was brought back in.
[/quote]

Yes! I love this album. If it didn't say 'Mötley Crüe' on the front I think it would have been huge.

My suggestions would be In Utero by Nirvana and ¡Adios Amigos! by the Ramones.

In Utero gets massively overshadowed by Nevermind but it's just an incredible album. It sounds like nothing before or since and the songwriting is something else.

People always talk about the first four Ramones albums being classics (which they are) but almost disregard the later stuff. ¡Adios Amigos! was their last album and, in my opinion, contains some of their best songs. They became almost an entirely different band towards the end of their lifespan, especially with CJ on bass, and this album has great pop songs and a great sound.

Continuing on the Tad/Gaye Bykers theme, World Domination Enterprises were the dog's live - Asbestos Lead Asbestos was a sorely overlooked album, and there weren't many who made a racket quite like them! Lie a punk Sonny Sharrock...

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isi4FYDFfps[/VIDEO]

Automatic Man's first album, featuring ex Santana tubbist Michael Shrieve ( no need for introductions ) and the under rated Pat Thrall on guitar, who has worked with the likes
of Glenn Hughes, Pat Travers Band, Asia, Meat Loaf, Jack Bruce, Elton John, Tina Turner, Dave Stewart

geni geni

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_4TMii0tts"]https://www.youtube....h?v=1_4TMii0tts[/url]

Edited by fleabag

[i]Free For All [/i]by Michael Penn - Mr Aimee Mann and brother of Actors Sean and Chris Penn

Far less successful than his debut, [i]March [/i](RCA's lack of support for the release led to a bust up that kept him from releasing anything else for five years) but it's a beautiful study in great songwriting

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxqekFB9lZs[/media]

Edited by cybertect

[quote name='roceci' timestamp='1441282696' post='2857505']
Bandstand by Family. Cracked it out last week for the first time in years, great groove rock & solid, tasteful bass throughout.
[/quote]

Oh sweet baby jeeeeezus .. Burlesque - top 5 bass lines of all time

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1441061322' post='2855837']
Pawn Hearts - Van Der Graaf Generator.
[/quote]
[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1441063771' post='2855851']
I've always thought that album was held in very high regard. At least in the prog community.
[/quote]

What I find odd about that album is the adulation given to side 2 (A Plague of Lighthouse-Keepers) when IMO side one is light years ahead!

And staying with VdGG, the oft-overlooked World Record is a real gem. It's just so.... relentless.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1441045706' post='2855636']
I'd mention An Electric Storm by White Noise. When someone played the opening track to me a few years ago I presumed it was from the 90s or later, but it turns out to be from 1968. Plus it features Delia Derbyshire of Dr Who theme fame.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZG8CE2KnBQ[/media]
[/quote]

That gets LOTS of recognition and is the subject of much attention every year!

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1441301037' post='2857774']
That gets LOTS of recognition and is the subject of much attention every year!
[/quote]

Only if you read certain bits of the alternative music press, and AFAIK it didn't make much impact at the time. I dunno, is that insufficiently "before it was cool" for this thread?
It might be more fun to suggest some albums you think are under-recognised rather than just popping up to tell us the rest of us why our choices are wrong!

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1441301405' post='2857781']

Only if you read certain bits of the alternative music press, and AFAIK it didn't make much impact at the time. I dunno, is that insufficiently "before it was cool" for this thread?
It might be more fun to suggest some albums you think are under-recognised rather than just popping up to tell us the rest of us why our choices are wrong!
[/quote]

It was always recognised as a cult classic that one. You do have a point about me not being constructive but I tried to that in the long running 'experimental' music thread here on Basschat and ran into a barrage of indifference!

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1441310331' post='2857876']
It was always recognised as a cult classic that one. You do have a point about me not being constructive but I tried to that in the long running 'experimental' music thread here on Basschat and ran into a barrage of indifference!
[/quote]

I was maybe less aware of that; for me it was something a friend played to me a few years ago which seemed surprisingly fresh and made me wonder how I hadn't come across it before. That made it feel like a reasonable candidate for this thread. This sort of thing is tricky in the internet era when almost every bit of music published is discussed, analysed and blogged about somewhere or other. I guess most things do find the recognition they deserve, whether that consists of a critical re-appraisal or just a small following of enthusiasts.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1441036150' post='2855531']
California by Mr Bungle. Incredible and weird album. Fantastic from start to finish in my books.
[/quote]

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1441127878' post='2856294']
By contrast, the Praxis album "Transmutation Transmutandis" featuring Buckethead, Bootsy, Bill Laswell, Bernie Worrell and Brain was critically very well received (being a pretty darned cracking album!) and sold very few copies indeed - in fact it's no longer made...
[/quote]

Two fantastic recommendations! Transmutation possibly edges out California for me but in that race there are no losers.

In that vein I would have to submit "Book of Horizons" by Secret Chiefs 3

[quote name='Dapper Bandit' timestamp='1441352432' post='2858108']
Two fantastic recommendations! Transmutation possibly edges out California for me but in that race there are no losers.

In that vein I would have to submit "Book of Horizons" by Secret Chiefs 3
[/quote]

have to check them out, never got round to listening to them

and also in that area Mit Gas by Tomahawk

Hamburger Concerto by Focus. Didn't have the success of its predecessors Focus 3 and Moving Waves, both of which had very successful singles (Sylvia and Hocus Pocus) - the single from Hamburger Concerto was Harem Scarem which sank without a trace.