Fuses
Tyraps
Notepad
Pens
Rohypnol
Kitchen Sink[/indent][/quote]

"JGT's big mistake was thinking he'd need his Fender Stratocaster."

If I can carry a spare of it I will.

Remember that if you use a 20ft lead , the 12ft spare in your box is no spare at all.

I have a small tool kit too , encourage the other members to get their own. I'm happy to lend mine to anyone but when you're all rushing around setting up chances are they'll forget to return 'that' screwdriver.

If you have 2 square inches of space anywhere - put a new PP3 battery in it.

My mic stand beer holder might be a gag from time to time but get one. If you don't - I guarantee one day you'll put your drink on your amp , even if only absent mindedly.

I like Slaphappy's idea of carrying a DI box in case the amp goes tits up. I'll start doing that - thanks matey.

And for Jaco's sake get a pair of decent working gloves. Use them for loading/unloading.

I regularly try to minimise the amount of gear to carry, but common sense prevails and I put them back in the bag.

Details as follows:

Bass, amp., 2 cabinets, stand, 2 speaker cables - guitar lead, 4 way mains unit, spare set of strings, spare lead, extra long mains extension cable, roadie wrench, gaffa tape, spare strap, spare mains lead, gloves (particularly in winter) and anything else that may
be lying around.
I like the idea of a Di box - I'll get one.

Rhino.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='28953' date='Jul 9 2007, 08:20 AM']And for Jaco's sake get a pair of decent working gloves. Use them for loading/unloading.[/quote]
Do you know what, I've been thinking about getting some gloves for a while now. How many of us lug around dirty bits of PA, amps and grubby bits of cable and then eat a sandwich straight after?! On my shopping list today.

Some good stuff listed on here that I hadn't thought of - here's mine:

Bass, amp head, 2 x cabs, Kettle lead, 4 gang power strip, guitar strap, tuner, 3 x guitar leads, small spanner for my schaller straplocks, phillips screwdriver, guitar stand, speaker leads, small wheel trolley & a music stand.

Hadn't really thought about a DI -might be worth investing in....

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

1 x amp
2 x basses
bits box inc: leads, batteries, fuses, tools, allen keys etc
2 x bass stands
4 x bottles of Corona

That's it.

However, I did have a problem with the amp at a gig, after the guitarist spilled a pint of Guiness over it. We had it apart, and dried it out with a hairdryer, but it wasn't happy. After that, I always made sure I had an emergency DI arrangement, which was bassically a very long lead directly to the desk/PA, so that I could do a gig without an amp at all if I had to, which I had to do a couple of times. My foldback was via the wedges, and was pretty poor, but I'm told the sound out front was great when I had to do it.

Bass (x2 if it's a long-distance or expensive corporate affair)
Rig
Peripherals (wireless, FX, etc)
Leads, includes plenty of spares
Stands
Toolbox (contains strings, tools, gas solder iron, superglue, electronic bits, fuses, multimeter, lead tester, nail clippers, you name it, it's in there!)
Bottle of drinking water (if I fill it at home, at least I know where it's been..!)
Towel
Change of clothes
EARPLUGS

[quote name='rhino' post='28962' date='Jul 9 2007, 08:48 AM']I like the idea of a Di box - I'll get one.[/quote]
A Sansamp DI box is a great investment, not only a DI but an instant 'fatness' stompbox. You can also have the straight signal going to your rig, plus the treated signal (allegedly based on the sound of a miked cab) going to the PA.

Must admit i don't regard mine as an amp substitute, but I may start doing that.

I bought mine 2nd hand but having used it I'd have no hesitation in buying a new one if I ever lost it.

Andy

[quote name='rhino' post='28962' date='Jul 9 2007, 08:48 AM']Bass, amp., 2 cabinets, stand, 2 speaker cables - guitar lead, 4 way mains unit, spare set of strings, spare lead, extra long mains extension cable, roadie wrench, gaffa tape, spare strap, spare mains lead, gloves (particularly in winter) and anything else that may
be lying around.[/quote]

Roadie Wrench ? I can guess, but what exactly is it you've got there ? What brand names should I look for ?

Andy

Actually, it's quite interesting seeing exactly what people take, and I'd forgotten how much rubbish I do cart about, so here goes:

1 Bass (2 if it's far away or a big gig)
Small guitar stand
Mic stand + spare
Active PA cabs x2
Stands for PA cabs
Box of PA cables (kettle leads, XLR leads etc and spares)
Mini mixer in a case
Gig Bag (4 Guitar leads, Mic, Swiss army knife, gaffa, strings, cloth, setlists, mic stand cupholder, ipod for interval music, pens, pencils, batteries, business cards for band)
Tuner pedal
Aphex Compressor Pedal (don't really use...but would defo work as a DI for backup now everyone's suggested that...so will keep in the gig bag!)
4x10 cab
Amp Head
Wife (+ a spare, if it's far away or a big gig. haha)

What a load of junk, eh? No wonder my car's bursting at the seams!

Most used bit of kit in the gig bag? Penknife, Gaffa, Business Cards and pens.

I Take:

- 2xBasses
-1xRack containing:
Hartke 3500 Head
Aphex Aural Exciter
Korg DTR1000 tuner
AKG WMS 400 Wireless
-1xHartke 410XL cab
-1xPedalboard (considering selling off effects in favour of the bass pod)
-Spare leads (one spare lead for every one lead in use normally)
-Allen keys
-Spare Strings (never broken a string live though)
-Towel
-Screwdriver
-Earplugs
-Straplocks

I always bring two basses to a paying gig and the PA is used for FOH sound so if my amp fails it's not the end of the world.

Lots of good ideas on other people's posts.

My tips would be:

1. Bring one more spare 9v battery than you might actually need. It's rare, but sometimes one will be a dud and if you've not got that extra spare, you are screwed.

2. Spare strap buttons and screws. If you gig enough you or someone in your band will need one at some point.

3. Half a dozen cocktail sticks for emergency filling of the hole that a strap button screw has been ripped out of. Pack e'm in, snap 'em off and then fit the button back on.

4. Superglue - In a water blister-related emergency, a very thin coat of superglue smeared over the top of the burst blister can restore feeling to your fingertip and protect it from further damage.

5. Clear nail varnish or nail hardener - a little dab of this can prevent the height adjutment screws on your bridge saddle from working loose but will easily break when you need to make an adjustment

6. A drum key - don't tell them you've got it, but one day your drummer will be glad you have it.

7. A collection of various sizes of spare picks - same as number 6 but for guitarists (though if he is a twat, you could instead just carry the phone number of the guitarist you'd rather have in the band and use the lack of picks as a gross misconduct, sackable offense!)

Two basses
One 6x10 cab
Two amp heads
DI box connected with lead
Spare cables
Spare speaker leads
Spare fuses
Spare batteries
Tool box with usual stuff (screwdrivers, soldering iron allen keys etc)
Pedal board or multiFX
Spare patch leads
Spare 9v PSU
Change of clothes
Roadie gloves
A plan in case things go wrong.

I have a spare for almost every eventuality AND importantly either have the backups plugged in or ready cabled or ready to be used. No point having a backup if it's in the car or not tuned or still in its case. Overkill in 99% of cases but when it comes to interrupting someones wedding music to sort out kit that's failed when they've paid you a fair lump of cash that interruption should be a bare minimum.

2 basses
amp head
4x10 for small venues, 1x15 and 4x10 for larger venues
pedalboard
4 guitar leads & 2 spares
2 speaker leads & 1 spare
spare power brick
spare mains leads
picks
screwdriver
pliers
pen knife
allen keys
towel
guitar stand
paracetamol
sweat band & spare
9v battery
spare patch leads
spare set of old strings
gaffa tape
marker pens
paper
demo CDs
spare t-shirt

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

[quote name='Rumble' post='29591' date='Jul 10 2007, 09:18 AM']Does it make sense that if you're using an active bass you only need a passive DI and v.v?[/quote]

No it's not that simple. Mine is an active box and has two levels of attenuation if the signal (often from an active bass) is too high. The reason I chose the active is that it can absorb phoamtom power from the desk - this [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=334"]thread[/url] goes in to this in more detail.

A Stingray
A Sterling
GK amp
Korg tuner
Cab
Compressor
Loads of leads / cables
40ft extension lead with 4 sockets
Residual Current Device
Boss Power Supply
Tape
DI Box