Why become a member? ×

Speakon connectors/cables

GUI101

Hi All,

I have today binned out my amp leads and cables not only because they were old but also because they were probably quite dangerous too 😕.

Now I have replaced them, all are fine except for the speakon - speakon going from amp to cab. I am getting nothing through to the cab at all, not even a hiss or hum.

Could I have gotten this connected wrong somehow? Are there different types of speakon cables? And the I've just bought the wrong one....

I am using a W Audio Horizon 1100 and an EAD foundation cab, I have looked at the manual for the amp and I have to admit don't really understand what it is talking about when it refers to connections for the outputs. The cab however does accept jack leads into the centre of the connector so I know it's not the cab as it works fine with another amp I have.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Gui

Difficult to say with the info you give.
Check the Speakon connectors by unscrewing the blue caps and checking there isn't a wire out, they are usually only gripped by a screw in clamp and can work loose, though if it's a new cable as you imply, it's probably not the cable.
If you have tested the cab with another amp then it's possibly the W audio amp.
INPUTS/
Make sure your amp is on and the gain pots turned up and watch the signal led (green),to check it fllckers when you play?
Are you using a pre amp or pedal like a sans amp? Check the cable between that and the amp input.
Have you got a minijack to quarter inch jack to play an ipod etc directly into the LINE or JACK input of the amp to check the inputs are fine?
If that shows a signal plug the ipod into the sansamp if you're using one and see if it still shows a signal.
If it does, move on to the outputs.
OUTPUTS
Your amp has three speakon output sockets, the middle one is only for the bridged output, check you haven't inadvertently used that one. (it may be a different colour, red usually)
Finally, make sure your output cable is in the same side of the amp as your input cable!
Example, you may have your sansamp or bass plugged into channel A, and your Speakon cable plugged in output B, it's a stereo amp after all.
See how you get on with that and apologies if you've already tried it all.
Here's a link to the manual http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/609203.pdf
MM

Hi MM

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately tired the lot already.

I'm definitely getting a signal from pre to power amp, green light flickering away.
I have found out that I have combi connectors on the cab but standard on the amp, that is probably why it worked with my other amp when it was a jack - jack cable used.

Doing a bit of digging I can see that a 4 pole speakon cable won't mate to a 2 pole connector,

If I have a 4 pole cable then that may be why nothing is passing through to the cab, will pick up a 2 pole cable and try again.

Unfortunately the are no distinguishing marks on the amp that denote the type of connector they are (maybe on the inside).

Cheers
Gui

Hi Gui,
the NL2 and NL4 Speakons are interchangeable and will mate correctly, the only difference is the NL4s can carry a four way cable often used in a bi-amp setup where two separate amps power two speakers via one 4 way cable.The second speaker is usually wired via a link socket on the cab, similar to the old peavey Hysis sub speakers.
The NL2s only carry a 2 way cable. Wired to the 1+ and 2+ connectors.
It's possible one end of your Speakons is an NL4 and is wired incorrectly with 1+ or 2+ being wired to the 1- or 2- connectors inside the plug.
I have some wired on purpose this way for a two way system link, and have to clearly mark them from the normally wired ones.
The easy option is just to check whether the connector says NL2 or NL4, or buy a new cable that uses NL2s only so no confusion.
Hope you get sorted.
MM

New cables sometimes don't work, in this case someone may have not tightened a screw or over tightened it and broken the wires. Simple to check and yes, it is +1 and -1 you need.

If you are gigging it is best to carry a spare of every cable, but beg, borrow or steal another speakon and that will eliminate the suspect lead, or not.