Why become a member? ×

2 bass players.

tom1946

[quote name='howdenspur' timestamp='1440755311' post='2853497']
I recall someone in the BC community (can't remember who) saying something like "if you're going to play in a worship group, do it for spiritual reasons rather than musical ones, otherwise you'll be conflicted".
[/quote]

That was me. Been there and done it.

Pretty sure James Brown toured with 2 bass players toward the end in much the same vein as casapete's recollection of Little Richard. As for the OP, tricky situation. I've not done church bands but I guess they can get quite political. Not the done thing to just turn up and play unannounced without asking, you wouldn't even do that at a jam session. Maybe there is some scope for sorting out a set list where some tunes are better suited to DB that he can do and others that need more drive that an electric is better at so he sits those out? He's made a bit of a faux pas up front though so mayb enot recoverable?.

Totally agree with Bottle/JapanAxe on this one. I think he's guilty of poor etiquette/manners (maybe he comes from a church where the worship group is more of a free-for-all)?

However on this occasion perhaps the purity of music may well be secondary to leading the congregation.

As an aside I've heard some lovely examples of two bass players together; one holding down the rhythm, another playing a more complex melody over the top. An opportunity for you to show off your chops?

[quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1442782646' post='2869501']
I've had to be rebuked by the leader (and she was right to do so). and also work on my humility too :P
[/quote]

This kind of stuff makes me cringe, I'm sure your doing your best without them having to attack your character.

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1442852103' post='2870004']
This kind of stuff makes me cringe, I'm sure your doing your best without them having to attack your character.
[/quote]
But in this case, I was wrong and she was most definitely right, as I had been a right arse, throwing my toys out of the buggy. Made me take a real hard look at myself and my motivation for playing.

This quote was in my FB news feed tonight: "Always look at other musicians as inspiration, never as competition"