Why become a member? ×

Input Jacks

kemra

Hi Guys,

I have a very noobish question now which I think will give some of you a good chuckle. I am building a parts P-Bass and wondered what is the difference between mono and stereo input jacks? It may seem stupid but I don't remember being told/reading about it anywhere before.

Also whilst I'm here what value pots (potentiometers) do you need for the volume and tone controls for a passive P-Bass? I know the values for guitar but not bass....

Any help greatly appreciated!

- stereo jacks get used in guitars for two reasons: to carry two separate signals (rarely), or to turn on the power to active electronics (much more common). If neither of those apply to you, then a mono jack is fine. If you have only a stereo jack to hand, wire up the tip and sleeve only, skip the ring (middle) contact.

- you need only the controls that do the functions you're going to use - so if you use a volume pedal, and change tone through effects, then you could do without any in-bass controls at all. Sod's Law still applies, however...

Edited by bnt

[quote name='bnt' post='276194' date='Sep 3 2008, 12:40 PM']- stereo jacks get used in guitars for two reasons: to carry two separate signals (rarely), [b]or to turn on the power to active electronics[/b] (much more common). If neither of those apply to you, then a mono jack is fine. If you have only a stereo jack to hand, wire up the tip and sleeve only, skip the ring (middle) contact.

- you need only the controls that do the functions you're going to use - so if you use a volume pedal, and change tone through effects, then you could do without any in-bass controls at all. Sod's Law still applies, however...[/quote]
ha, i didnt know thats what stereo jacks were for, makes sense really, learn something knew every day :)

[quote name='obbm' post='276267' date='Sep 3 2008, 02:17 PM']Just being my usual pedantic self but basses don't have "Input Jacks".

The signal is generated in the bass and leaves via the "Output Jack".

Amplifiers have "Input Jacks"[/quote]

You are totally right and now I definitely feel stupid :)

Ah well we all make mistakes!

[quote name='obbm' post='276267' date='Sep 3 2008, 02:17 PM']Just being my usual pedantic self but basses don't have "Input Jacks".

The signal is generated in the bass and leaves via the "Output Jack".

Amplifiers have "Input Jacks"[/quote]

Surely Amplifiers have 'Input/output Jack/Speakon/XLR Sockets' and Instruments have 'Output Jack Sockets' ........ Er... Now I'm being pedantic!

[quote name='obbm' post='276293' date='Sep 3 2008, 02:54 PM']You shouldn't feel like that. Unfortunately it's a common error a bit like the difference between lend and borrow.[/quote]

I feel exactly the same way you do about the difference between lend and borrow. A simple thing that truly escapes most people. I will endeavour from now on to remember about input/output jacks too!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='277487' date='Sep 5 2008, 12:30 AM']If it's a passive bass and you have a stereo jack then I would personally wire the 'ring' to the earth contact. That way you get a spring contact on the earth rather than relying on the the unsprung contact between the plug sleeve and the outer ring of the socket.[/quote]

A mono jack will generally have a sprung contact to the sleeve ( 'earth' ) anyway.
ie it'll have two sprung contacts whereas a stereo jack socket will have three sprung contacts.

But it would be as well to wire a passive bass as suggested anyway for even better reliability / lower contact resistance on the sleeve contact.

[quote name='rmorris' post='288550' date='Sep 21 2008, 03:32 PM']A mono jack will generally have a sprung contact to the sleeve ( 'earth' ) anyway.
ie it'll have two sprung contacts whereas a stereo jack socket will have three sprung contacts.

But it would be as well to wire a passive bass as suggested anyway for even better reliability / lower contact resistance on the sleeve contact.[/quote]

It depends on the style of the jack I think. The more modern plastic bodied ones with the 'flatish' sprung fingers have a spring contact on the earth (have to as the hole itself is made of plastic), but I've found that most of the more traditional ones built from metal parts with insulating washers between don't, hence my comment.

On the plus side I generally find that the plug is more securely retained by the traditional style.