Why become a member? ×

Multiple Organism Jazz Orchestra (feat. Kevin Glasgow on Bass)

slaphappygarry

Hey Everyone,

My first full album as a producer, 'Arguments (Waiting to Happen)' by Edinburgh based big band MOJO was released last week on Stitch records. Here is a track and a few examples:

[attachment=12865:06_Deadline.mp3]

[attachment=12866:A1_Exerpt.mp3]

[attachment=12867:Digital_...n_Exerpt.mp3]

[attachment=12868:Troubled...s_Exerpt.mp3]

I recorded, mixed and produced this record so I am very excited that it seems to be doing well so far and we are getting some nice feedback (as well as the odd nasty one.... i guess it is a little niche).

Anyway, the reason I have it here is the bass player Kevin Glasgow is an absolute monster and one to watch out for in the future. Check out the bass solo in A1 (Northbound). We could all learn something from his technique, groove and general ability to be a lovely dude.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Anyone interested can purchase the record from the stitch web page or directly from iTunes and Amazon. Anyone in Edinburgh can also get it from Avalanche, HMV Princess Street and Coda.

Muchos Thanks

[url="http://www.c-p-productions.com"]www.c-p-productions.com[/url]
[url="http://www.stitchrecords.com"]www.stitchrecords.com[/url]
[url="http://www.multipleorganism.com"]www.multipleorganism.com[/url]
[url="http://www.myspace.com/kevinglasgow"]Kevin Glasgow Myspace[/url]

Edited by slaphappygarry

Hi Gary,

Ha ha, I wondered how long it would be before someone mentioned Kev's name here!

I went to uni up in Edinburgh and so was playing bass on some of the same gigs as Kev- I was in a band in a band at the time with Ant, the guitarist from who I believe plays with MOJO now and again. I can confirm that he is a monster on bass, his technique and composure is incredible! The sort of player who makes you question why you bother playing yourself- having to share a city with another bass player that good i hard work on the self esteem!!! But, as you say, you couldn't meet a nicer, more unassuming and friendly guy- a true legend! Can't recommend him or his work enough- definitely treat yourself to a listen of his solo stuff via myspace. I believe he is down in London now or is that a rumour?

The recordings sound great- you have a very even balance, even if the bass could be a bit higher in the mix! :) I bet you could get some great remixes out of this!

Anyway, enough from me, keep up the good work!

Hey Johnny,

I am good mates with Ant. I did an album with his band Sub-Opt (soon to called Kobaya) which is due out later this month. I also recently worked with Kev G and Ant on Rodrigo Braga's solo album which is currently still in the recording stages. Do you know him? Ant has graced the MOJO album with his usual mental guitar playing. :)

It is true, as of last week Kev is in London. Ant is moving back too in a week or two so it all gonna be happening your neck of the woods.

Peace.

G

Yeah, rod is a legend too, thats for sure and I don't think anyone does prog funk like sub opt/kobaya. Thought it might have been ant on some of the tracks- did I hear his ring modulator in use?

The album sounds great- I love the titles of the tracks... Ninja squid! Wicked.

Cheers anyway- see you down london way sometime?

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='277508' date='Sep 5 2008, 01:11 AM']Hey Johnny,

I am good mates with Ant. I did an album with his band Sub-Opt (soon to called Kobaya) which is due out later this month. I also recently worked with Kev G and Ant on Rodrigo Braga's solo album which is currently still in the recording stages. Do you know him? Ant has graced the MOJO album with his usual mental guitar playing. :)

It is true, as of last week Kev is in London. Ant is moving back too in a week or two so it all gonna be happening your neck of the woods.

Peace.

G[/quote]

Awesome, what a small world. :) No ring modulator as far as i can remember but, given he has a small suitcase of effects it could well be.

I will be down in a few weeks actually for a little shopping and a catch up with some dudes.

Cheers for grabbing the album man, Stitch are a very small label and every little does go a long way for them and their artists.

Garry

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='MuseMatt' post='277625' date='Sep 5 2008, 09:57 AM']How easy it is to read this as multiple orgasm jazz orchestra...[/quote]

..or, when mispelled as in the thread title, how easy to misread it as 'multiple onanism jazz orchestra' - which is probably worse... :)

Great music though. Good job that man!

• 4 weeks later...

Firstly, apologies to Garry for taking so long to write this review :)

I've listened to this album quite a bit and, like all good big band albums, the more you listen the more you discover in the layers of music. Credit must go to Garry for a great mix which allows everything to be heard clearly and works equally well on an MP3 player as it does on a full stereo.

so, what's the music like? It's quite a "modern" sounding big band which blends a strong funky rhythm section, including the incredible Kevin Glasgow on bass, with great horn arrangements and occasional sampling and processing which bring to mind some of Polar Bear's work (especially the freer sections and the big reverb chamber effects on the sax stabs in Head In The Sand). In places the grooves and arrangements reminded me of US bandleader Ed Palermo, especially his reworkings of Frank Zappa's music for big band.

There are a lot of highlights on the album - for bassists, the main one may well be Kevin Glasgow's incredible solo on the opening track where he moves from Pat Metheny like melodicism to his trademark tapping fireworks. Credit must also go to guitarist Ant Law for managing to blend David Gilmour and George Benson in his Digital Combustion solo.

Stylistically the band move from Zappa-esque reggae on Ninja Squid, through Django Bates territory on Head In The Sand (which also features an atonal guitar intro reminiscent of Steve Vai's There's Something Dead In Here) to the more conventiional Kenny Wheeler/Steve Waterman esque Deadline.

The only negative point really is that the live recording does mean that occasionally the trumpet section's tuning is a little off (in fairness, not uncommon in big bands), although rhythmically they're spot on.

I would imagine this band would be incredible live and look forward to seeing them soon!

Cheers
Alun

PS Don't forget to listen on past the end of the last track for a little extra :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Two great musicians / composers:

Zack A. Moir (the darker more experimental stuff):

[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=398939045&MyToken=186beb96-083e-4840-ab17-4397f2ac05cd"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...17-4397f2ac05cd[/url]

Tom Pickles (the more 'jazz' and thematic tracks):

[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=18447374"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=18447374[/url]

Both are exceptional at what they do an very young. Incidentally, Zack plays first Tennor for the whole album (and has 3 solo spots). Tom usually is second Tennor live but had to conduct during the sessions although does play a stinning flute solo in 'Troubles Times'.

G

Edited by slaphappygarry