Why become a member? ×

Switching Pickups on a Jazz Bass

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1440418288' post='2850457']
If they're not the same size as standard jazz pickups then you may need to rout new cavities.
[/quote]

Quite, the OP may be better off getting some twin-coil J pickups which fit into the same cavities.

[quote name='joshua.harris1234' timestamp='1440414667' post='2850392']
Hey,

I was just wondering whether it is possible to fit soap bar pickups on a jazz bass instead of the standard single coil layout?

Thanks,

Josh
[/quote]
Soapbars are commonly single coils but it sounds as though you mean humbuckers of some kind.

Can you clarify?

• 1 month later...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1444241461' post='2881533']
Just in cast anyone is still wondering how this works, this is what a twin-coil (humbucking) Jazz pickup looks like under the cover. The deal is, it occupies the same space as a single-coil Jazz pickup but with the advantages of a humbucker.

[/quote]
... which is exactly how a post 1957 Precision Bass pickup is humbucking too .. the difference is merely the offset of EA and DG.

I didn't think that you'd swap out single for twin-coil (humbucking) pickups on a Jazz to change the sound - I thought the idea was to preserve the Jazz sound but eliminate the annoying hum and buzz you tend to get when soloing either the bridge or neck pickups. But the reason behind the potential mod isn't specified in the OP.

Edited by discreet