Why become a member? ×

A 500W head with valve preamp for £249!!!!!

Clarky

The new Hartke LH500 head gets a great review in "Bass Player" magazine even if EQ options limited to Bass, Mid and Treble (all I need anyway!) - thought I would bring it to attention as it sounds like a really good starter head for a beginner or the bassist on a budget - or a damn cheap backup for those worried about their pricey "high end" amp at some gigs

Made in China but amazing value - my Markbass head cost three times as much (although I love it)!

[quote name='Clarky' post='275905' date='Sep 2 2008, 11:16 PM']The new Hartke LH500 head gets a great review in "Bass Player" magazine even if EQ options limited to Bass, Mid and Treble (all I need anyway!) - thought I would bring it to attention as it sounds like a really good starter head for a beginner or the bassist on a budget - or a damn cheap backup for those worried about their pricey "high end" amp at some gigs

Made in China but amazing value - my Markbass head cost three times as much (although I love it)![/quote]

I bought one and can confirm they are excellent value for money ( i also have a MarkBass LM2 )

Very simple controls but a good range of sounds. I swopped the Sovtek ECC83 Pre Amp valve for an old but good Brimar,and it made a noticeable difference to the gain ( ie LOUDER ) and also seems to make it a little smoother at higher levels ( although it was already very clean )

A very impressive bit of Kit at a great price!
Anyone in the Leeds area that is thinking of buying one is welcome to come and try mine!

Will.

[quote name='2x18' post='276001' date='Sep 3 2008, 08:18 AM']I bought one and can confirm they are excellent value for money ( i also have a MarkBass LM2 )

Very simple controls but a good range of sounds. I swopped the Sovtek ECC83 Pre Amp valve for an old but good Brimar,and it made a noticeable difference to the gain ( ie LOUDER ) and also seems to make it a little smoother at higher levels ( although it was already very clean )

A very impressive bit of Kit at a great price!
Anyone in the Leeds area that is thinking of buying one is welcome to come and try mine!

Will.[/quote]

How does the sound compare to the LM11 ?

I like a very deep warm undistorted tone for dub and reggae.

I was considering an LM11 but like the idea of the Hartke LHI000 with 750w into 8 ohms it has more power for less dosh although it is heavier.

Steve.

[quote name='redstriper' post='276008' date='Sep 3 2008, 08:44 AM']How does the sound compare to the LM11 ?

I like a very deep warm undistorted tone for dub and reggae.

I was considering an LM11 but like the idea of the Hartke LHI000 with 750w into 8 ohms it has more power for less dosh although it is heavier.

Steve.[/quote]

I would think if the LH1000 sounds as good as the LH500 it would be an awesome amp for Reggae and Dub with the right speakers!

When I opened the LH500 to swap the pre-amp valve I was suprised at the size of the torroidal transformer - its Massive, most of the weight of the amp ( and hopefully the Headroom ) is due to this beast!

I have not gigged it yet, so cant comment on live performance. I just bought it as a backup and for bedroom use but susspect with the right cabs it will be excellent!

Regards

Will.

[quote name='redstriper' post='276195' date='Sep 3 2008, 12:42 PM']The kilo has way too many features - the LH1000 already has 2 more than I need in the bright and limiter buttons.[/quote]

The bright switch is a standard feature on that valve preamp design (Fender Dual Showman / Alembic F-2B etc) - using a capacitor to shunt high frequencies past the gain pot so at full gain it doesn't do anything. However I'm not sure why anyone would want to turn the limiter off on a bass rig unless it's a really rubbish limiter!

Alex

I might be getting limiter mixed up with compressor - what does a limiter actually do?
I've never had one and can't say I've missed one so far, but I'm always open to learn.
I have used compressors and don't like their effect.

I presumed the bright button just boosted high frequencies at any volume - wrong again?
I've always found a deep button to be more useful for me.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='276215' date='Sep 3 2008, 01:04 PM']The bright switch is a standard feature on that valve preamp design (Fender Dual Showman / Alembic F-2B etc) - using a capacitor to shunt high frequencies past the gain pot so at full gain it doesn't do anything. However I'm not sure why anyone would want to turn the limiter off on a bass rig unless it's a really rubbish limiter!

Alex[/quote]

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='276467' date='Sep 3 2008, 06:57 PM']Limiting is a form of compression. It has a high threshold and hard compression that reduces the power amp clipping.[/quote]

So it's a kind of safety device with no musical effect other than to prevent distortion and damage?

Is that the kind of thing some newer amps have built in and always on eg. markbass?

I don't think I'd be likely to run the LH1000 to clipping volume in a hurry, but I've always used my ears as a limiter and if I hear distortion I turn down the volume or bass eq.

Sorry to sound thick - my last amp purchase was in 1985ish, a trace 150w which is what I'm thinking of replacing.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='276446' date='Sep 3 2008, 06:13 PM']Sure has the best bang per buck for a new amp. Not sure if thats a good reason to buy one if you can afford better though.[/quote]

[quote name='redstriper' post='276470' date='Sep 3 2008, 07:00 PM']What would you suggest as a better alternative and in what ways will it be better?[/quote]
Well I would be very surprised if they sound better than my old EBS or my current Genz Benz. There is more to bass amps than just watts.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='276467' date='Sep 3 2008, 06:57 PM']Limiting is a form of compression. It has a high threshold and hard compression that reduces the power amp clipping.[/quote]

[quote name='redstriper' post='276496' date='Sep 3 2008, 07:37 PM']So it's a kind of safety device with no musical effect other than to prevent distortion and damage?

Is that the kind of thing some newer amps have built in and always on eg. markbass?

I don't think I'd be likely to run the LH1000 to clipping volume in a hurry, but I've always used my ears as a limiter and if I hear distortion I turn down the volume or bass eq.

Sorry to sound thick - my last amp purchase was in 1985ish, a trace 150w which is what I'm thinking of replacing.[/quote]
In a word yes. Lots of amps have it and lots dont. Some have a light that comes on when you hit the threshold. Peavey have had it for years and years. Some are more musical (as in you cant hear a difference) than others.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='276499' date='Sep 3 2008, 07:41 PM']Well I would be very surprised if they sound better than my old EBS or my current Genz Benz. There is more to bass amps than just watts.[/quote]

Then again you can't really go wrong with a such a tried and tested preamp design allied to a hefty power amp. The Carvin B1500 is a similar monster which also competes effectively with much more expensive amps.

I'd be very surprised if your old EBS or current Genz Benz sounded better to the majority of people - I think it would come down to personal taste. I've always found EBS rather pricey for what they are and any lightweight amp is more expensive because of the more expensive technology required to reduce the weight.

Alex