Why become a member? ×

Lightweight head vibration. Sorbothane?

itsmedunc

Im getting a Genz shuttle 6.0. I'm a little concerned as they are so light it may vibrate off my cab (barefaced midget). Also, the vibration may jiggle the insides of it. Has anyone tried sorbothane sheets/feet or auralex (or anything else) to combat this with good results?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1440198027' post='2849107']
Poundshop Mat might do it as long as it does not block any ventilation slots?
[/quote]

Thanks for that. I've not got it yet so can't see if any vents are underneath. A lot cheaper option than sorbothane!

Vibration won't be an issue, but you might pull the amp off the cab with your bass... however, if you thread the cable through the side handle of the Midget before plugging it into the amp, you should be good to go.

Or follow paulbass's example, above - heavy rock. Boom, tish! :rolleyes:

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1440235165' post='2849220']
Check out 'Amp vibrating off cab...any cures'. It's a thread on this site with loads of suggestions on it..... I will 'bump' it to the top so you can have a look....
[/quote]

The perforated non-slip matting suggested by japanaxe is honestly way better than the other improvised solutions, you can get it from amazon, maplins and various DIY superstores.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AVJ9GBY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003VY7DIE&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0HWF7A8P8TJR3AZ5A678"]http://www.amazon.co...A8P8TJR3AZ5A678[/url]

Shuttles in particular are a problem because they are so ridiculously light. As already mentioned I wouldnt worry about vibration damage to the amp.

Edited by bassman7755

Thanks everyone for the advice. The Genz is only 3.75lb according to the spec which is less than half the weight of my TC. Never had any problems with the TC Classic450 but my LM3 sometimes went walkabout. So, it looks like something a bit dense and non slip. I used to know a girl like that!

I have a Genz Benz Streamliner perched on top of a Gen 2 Midget/Compact stack. So far no issues although I have changed the feet of the amp to give some additional clearance over the handles. The new feet don't feel particularly more or less grippy than the orginal fit items though.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1440228846' post='2849182']
I don't think the vibrations will harm the head. However, they can cause it to "walk" off the cab, in my experience. I use a piece of 1" thick dense foam between them to prevent that.
[/quote]
Vibration from my lightweight cab loosened a ribbon cable inside my MB head.
I either use foam or put the amp on the floor.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1440329263' post='2849824']
I have a Genz Benz Streamliner perched on top of a Gen 2 Midget/Compact stack. So far no issues although I have changed the feet of the amp to give some additional clearance over the handles. The new feet don't feel particularly more or less grippy than the orginal fit items though.
[/quote]

The feet on my Streamliner are fine, grip-wise. It's the Shuttle 9.2 ones that were hard plastic and zero grip.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought some really inexpensive sorbethane hemispheres on ebay for my monitors rather than the expensive iso stands and similar that poople recommend.
Worked a treat.
I have a MarkBass Little Mark III coming tomorrow in the post and already have my balls cut in half ready for this weekends gig.

:gas:

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1441853258' post='2862340']
...... and already have my balls cut in half ready for this weekends gig.

:blush:
[/quote]

[color=#ff0000][size=7][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]OUCH!!!!!!!!!![/font][/size][/color]

[size=7][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=4]G.[/size][/font][/font][/size]

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1441853258' post='2862340']
I bought some really inexpensive sorbethane hemispheres on ebay for my monitors rather than the expensive iso stands and similar that poople recommend.
Worked a treat.
I have a MarkBass Little Mark III coming tomorrow in the post and already have my balls cut in half ready for this weekends gig.

:gas:
[/quote]
My wife has threatened to do that to me on a couple of occasions...

I have an Ashdown LG1000 lightweight head that emits an annoying metallic vibration sound at certain frequencies. I have always assumed it is a loose heat sink or cover inside the unit. First time I heard it, I thought I'd blown my speaker. I usually sit mine on the gig bag that came with the head - all good!

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1440239241' post='2849258']
The perforated non-slip matting suggested by japanaxe is honestly way better than the other improvised solutions, you can get it from amazon, maplins and various DIY superstores.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AVJ9GBY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003VY7DIE&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0HWF7A8P8TJR3AZ5A678"]http://www.amazon.co...A8P8TJR3AZ5A678[/url]

Shuttles in particular are a problem because they are so ridiculously light. As already mentioned I wouldnt worry about vibration damage to the amp.
[/quote]

I got some of this for the top of my cab now I have a rackmounted amp. Stops the amp sliding about very nicely.