Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee USA signature Jazz Bass

geofio

Hi P, great question and observation buddy, I have played Rics since 1979 !!!! it is a bass i have just gotten used to playing and i kind of feel at home playing one, and i like the sound so much !!
as to the GL usa Jazz, I love this bass i really do there is something really right about it the neck has that better feel to it and the overall bass just oozes quality to me and the sound is awesome, it really is to be honest i couldn't care if Ged's signature was on it or not, it is a quality bass that is really what counts to me as a player, everything is top notch on this instrument, from the tuners to the body wood, i found it difficult to play at first as the neck widen's as it nears the body end and it is wide to me , that is the great thing about the 4003 to me the neck always feels the same no matter where you are on it !! but i have gotten used to the neck on the Geddy and it is such a good bass to play honestly, i am sure the guys that own the bass will confirm this, put it this way i have barely picked any of my rics up since having this bass, that says a lot to me as i always have a ric on no matter what i am doing. i can't recommend this bass enough, i was over in Las Vegas and i tried all sorts of basses, none came near the tone of the usa Geddy, it is expensive to buy in the uk, but if you like that kind of edgy tone and look of the bass it is hard to beat .

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1443172815' post='2872759']Not speaking for George, but in my case it was a factor,[/quote]

Ditto. The fact it's a signature was what got me to try it out. What made it a no-brainer to buy was the feel and tone, not sure I'd have tried a US Fender otherwise and the US Ged neck width and depth is spot on for me.

My other bass is a high-end Dingwall which is a totally different beast but the Ged makes its own case for play time - more so in my softer rock/blues covers band than the punk/metal covers.

The more i play the USA Geddy the more i like it, i put Elixir 45-105's on it and it just sounds awesome, i have a mim version coming tomorrow be interesting to compare both models, the only thing you have to watch on the usa Geddy is the pickup height if you raise the pickups too high it will knock the E string out , it will not intonate !!!! the magnets have such a pull on the large E string it knocks the note out at the 12th fret, just something to watch it drove me mad at first as i couldn't understand why the 12th fret was out , i must admit i did raise the pickups to full height at first, but no need to do so , again that is a must on a ric , not so for a jazz bass, in all my years of playing i have never enjoyed playing a particular bass as much as this Geddy, if you have a chance to own one just grab it, it is that good.

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1443612239' post='2876173']
It was L&M. I should point out that the sales person wasn't aware that I was still a UK resident (just in case there are any Fender restrictions on sale).
[/quote]
I used to live there and frequent that place, think I know the guy who helped you, French Canadian? He's a hell of a guy and an amazing player!

[quote name='geofio' timestamp='1443556491' post='2875812']
The more i play the USA Geddy the more i like it, in all my years of playing i have never enjoyed playing a particular bass as much as this Geddy, if you have a chance to own one just grab it, it is that good.
[/quote]

And now it's up for sale! :rolleyes: :D

I'd love to try one of these but it is way beyond my budget at the moment :(

Edited by Conan

This is one bass i don't want to sell but a 73 Rickernbacker 4001 has come up for grabs and that is my first love, even still i am having second thoughts there is something about that usa Geddy that is hard to explain. so it may just be staying put see how i can deal with my GAS for that 73.

[quote name='afterimage' timestamp='1444252026' post='2881675']
What a nice story guys did you get hit for taxes and import duty I have two fenders USA both jazz a 74. With a u profile neck and deluxe jazz both have lovely necks too
[/quote]

By the time Air Transat had finished with the case, it didn't look brand new ;-).

• 4 weeks later...

no prob Thunderpaws lol There is something about that Geddy neck on the usa model that just feels instantly nice !!!! can't explain it, it just does, it was a weird experience for me, having played Rics all my days, it was strange to take to another bass like that i found it difficult at the body end of the neck at first but i know now that was just me being so used to playing Rics, i had to get out of that habit anyway !!!! feels like i have owned this bass for years !!

• 4 weeks later...

I'd recommend trying out the GL US Jazz, it really is a great bass. I was recording at the weekend and had 3 basses with me (including one of my favourites, a 4001CS), but ended up playing the Jazz on everything. I think the neck is still thinner than the standard (but don't have one to compare), though it's nowhere near as thin as the Japanese one. The neck has the satin finish which feels very 'fast'.

Edited by jonsmith

Hi gsgbass, I do have experience with an American standard Jazz, the neck on the Geddy usa has it's own feel it is nothing like the AS, in fact it is unlike any jazz i have played, i had a bass player pal who plays jazz and P bass, he just loved the feel of the Geddy neck straight away, the neck is thicker than most jazz necks but still very comfy to play the varnish is removed from the playing area so very fast, you really have to try one to see if the feel suits you, it is a fantastic bass, can't say enough good things about it , it has Great tone, build quality ,playability, looks . it has it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I am just about o place an order for American Geddy Lee J-bass to replace American Standard with custom shop pick ups, The main reason is the neck on AS is too thin for me to play. Is it right that Geddy Lee JB does have a thicker neck?

Does somebody have American Geddy Lee JB for sale or for part ex-change to me AS JB?

Cheers

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1449919600' post='2927940']
Johnny - are you able to try one in a store? Best way to be sure.

Decided to gig mine last night rather than my Dingwall and it's a great bass.
[/quote]

I decided to take your advise and being on business trip in NY picked up one for very good price. Indeed. Nice bass. But I rather still keep my US Standard with custom shop pick ups as a main gig instrument. All of a sudden, I feel sorry to slap Mr Lee :gas:

• 1 month later...

[quote name='geofio' timestamp='1448834571' post='2918553']
Hi gsgbass, I do have experience with an American standard Jazz, the neck on the Geddy usa has it's own feel it is nothing like the AS, in fact it is unlike any jazz i have played, i had a bass player pal who plays jazz and P bass, he just loved the feel of the Geddy neck straight away, the neck is thicker than most jazz necks but still very comfy to play the varnish is removed from the playing area so very fast, you really have to try one to see if the feel suits you, it is a fantastic bass, can't say enough good things about it , it has Great tone, build quality ,playability, looks . it has it all.
[/quote]

Thank you for your post. I find the neck to be as you stated, unlike any jazz. I'm playing mine a lot in the short time I've had it. It would be a tough decision to have to make, if I had to choose between an Am. Std.Jazz, and the USA GL Jazz.

Edited by gsgbass

• 2 weeks later...