Why become a member? ×

Body Finishes / Carbon Fiber Look

R.I.P.

I don’t know if there I much to add to this thread, but I thought I would share a project I just finished.

This is a Ray34CA. When I purchased the bass I didn’t think the Slab Body would be much of a bother. After owning it for about 8 months I felt that I wanted to keep the bass but the body style wasn’t for me.

So I decided to do some wood work in the forearm area to provide some relief and also in the belly area to lighten up the bass.

After I did the wood work I didn’t want to go with the usual natural or paint finishes, so I decided to go with a Carbon Fiber look. The next step was how to do it.

After researching air brushing and carbon fiber wrap. I was introduced to Hydro Dipping as a possibility.

The end result is a Hydro Dipped, Carbon Fiber look body with vintage jazz knobs and Grover tuners. P/U and preamp are stock.

Pics of before and after shots below

I hope you like it.

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1440085103' post='2848179']
How weird, I just started a topic on dipping a bass this afternoon too.

Where did you get the stuff to hydro dip your bass from?
[/quote]
I noticed that to after I created this thread. I love the dip by the way.

Well, I did not do the Hydro Dipping myself. There are a few shops in town that was willing to take on the challenge.

But there are kits available that you can do this type of work at home. The ones I seen were for mostly smaller items but I'm sure the are larger kits for guitars and such.

Edited by R.I.P.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1440085718' post='2848187']
Very interesting. I have a 'project' Washburn Quantum that needs a refin. but all those angles scare me :) This could be the answer.

Do you lacquer it afterwards?
[/quote]

From what I was told they did several clear coats. It's a very solid durable finish. Just like as if it were painted.

Total cost if anyone is curious was $175.00 (U.S. money)

Edited by R.I.P.

A quick google search turned up these guys:

[url="http://www.hydro-graffix.co.uk/"]http://www.hydro-graffix.co.uk/[/url]
http://www.wickedcoatings.co.uk/

They have examples of camo and carbonand others... no bass/guitar examples that I can see but looks like they could do it. I wonder if they could do tort?! With a sunburst scratchplate....

Edited by dannybuoy