Why become a member? ×

Dip Painting a bass

BassApprentice

Hi all,

I have a beat up old P Bass body lying around and want to bring it back in to use. I've seen people dipping guitars into swirl paint jobs and getting some pretty impressive results. It doesn't look too difficult to do and I would just want to do it with one colour, can you do that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmSV2l6JFt0

Also I've noticed that all these guitars have a gloss finish, could you use a matt enamel paint and get the same result?

Cheers guys!

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1440077643' post='2848078']
It doesn't look too difficult to do and I would just want to do it with one colour, can you do that?

[/quote]

I admire your positive mental attitude!! I bet that is a lot harder than they have made it look. (Love their Pete & Dud style commentary)!

It obviously needs to be oil/spirit based paint, but I guess gloss or matt won't make a lot of difference.

Do you have a good, large water tank to do this in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHqPkkSpLZk

Edited by Grangur

Would it work if the object was put into the tank [i]first[/i], then pulled [i]out[/i], through the swirled paint..? Just a thought. 'Twould avoid having to 'clear the decks' after immersion, maybe..? Reminds me of tie-dying, decades ago. Pot luck is involved; sometimes the result is fine, sometimes rubbish. Are you feeling lucky..?

Edited by Dad3353

Haha you're probably right, it may not be as easy as it seems.

Yeah it does seem a bit lucky dip *excuse the pun*

Well it could be the finish you put on after but Humbrol do both gloss and matt finish enamel paints (which are recommended for doing this) but since it is going onto water I don't know if that affects the finish of the paint?

I'm starting to think this might be a hit and hope scenario. Once I get the bits together I'll give it a go.

Cheers all!