Why become a member? ×

Compliment?

Nicko

[quote name='Bassjon' timestamp='1439917606' post='2846774']
Once again I have to play Devil's advocate on here and say yes, while its a compliment personally I wouldn't like it. Solid implies boring to me. I play like Jamerson, very syncopated and busy .... and hopefully tight as well!
[/quote]

Saw a great quote today that this fits perfectly: "One man's groove is another's rut".

Solid is a compliment. It's probably one of the most important compliments a bass player can receive. It means you're doing your most important job first and foremost and creating a solid foundation that everything else in the band builds from and works around. Being a solid bass player is a massive step towards being a great bass player.

You find me a flashy self obsessed bass player who wants to play all the showy bits and show off his chops, but can't reliably get through a set list without having played some wrong notes or not held the groove or tempo, and you'll have found a crap bass player no matter how great his flashy skills are.

I detest the word 'flashy' being used as some kind of negative.
I hate that a bass player just has to be solid.
I can't stand the phrase less is more like it's is an imperative and if you don't play like this you are a twat

Music can be so many things. Many genres, styles etc
Sometimes the bass doesn't just have to support the rhythm. Sometimes you support the melody, harmony be the counterpoint.
Sometime you have to be solid, occasionally flashy.
Sometimes less is more, sometimes more is more.
Sometimes it's goldilocks and just right.
Music is more than one thing.

is it a compliment?.. i don't know. It's not a negative?
Others opinions of my playing, positive or negative don't really register!

[quote name='Bassjon' timestamp='1439917606' post='2846774']
Once again I have to play Devil's advocate on here and say yes, while its a compliment personally I wouldn't like it. Solid implies boring to me. I play like Jamerson, very syncopated and busy .... and hopefully tight as well!
[/quote]
Really, would love to hear someone who plays like Jamerson, who I would consider to be the solidest!

To clarify Lord Sausage, where I used the term flashy in my description, it is not saying that a bass player can't be the main focal point of the band, or the one playing the most interesting complex flashy (in a good way) licks. I'm not saying a bass player should be the boring person who stands at the back playing roots (or 3rds if feeling adventurous). What I am saying is that if a bass player spends his time just wanting to show off flashy (or pick another adjective) skills, to the detriment of the band or the music they're playing, then they really need to be asking themselves 'am I doing my band / the music justice'.

If you can play all the licks and still keep the feel of the music then more power to you. It's great seeing it being more and more commonplace for bass players to be stepping forward. My point was merely, better to be solid than someone playing flashy licks who can't get through a set without screwing up because they haven't got the basics sorted. If you can be solid and dependable and get through a set without any screw ups, then go ahead and be flashy and solid at the same time. Even better! But just being flashy, yet unable to remember when you transition into a chorus / bridge / middle 8 or what order the chords are in, is the wrong way round and wrong priorities for any musician, but especially a bass player.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1439906471' post='2846647']
The word "fine" has different meanings depending on context and emphasis. Fine wine usually means excellent or outstanding rather than acceptable. To further muddy the waters, up in the North East of Scotland, the word "rare", pronounced correctly has the same positive connotations as fine as in wine. Even though the thing you are describing is commonplace and not rare in the slightest :)
[/quote]

Sure, and the guy really might have meant it...but the OP isn't sure as he wouldn't have posted.

If someone said my bass playing was 'fine' or solid... I wouldn't be overjoyed..
Having said that, I'd also look to see where the comment was coming from.
Of course, everyone likes a compliment but depends who from would depend on its 'value'.

You have to start from the position that a lot of bass players are tolerated because they don't threaten the gtrs thunder.
They may not want to either, of course... so gtrs just want a solid player but then they often don't know what a good bass player
is and don't ever let them choose the drum dep..:lol:

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1439919500' post='2846802']
Someone once said to me that they hadn't really noticed my playing until I stopped for a bar or two, and then the arse fell out of the whole tune. I couldn't have asked for more, really.
[/quote]

Quality observation/compliment that.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1439926481' post='2846869']
Sure, and the guy really might have meant it...but the OP isn't sure as he wouldn't have posted.

[/quote]

Just to clarify the original question - the so called "compliment" it made me think. I came to the conclusion before I posted that solid is a very good thing if you're the bass player. As a compliment its not very effusive which is why I had to think about it. With any kind of superlative it would be a great compliment. Just wanted to see what BC thought. Seems most tend to agree.

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1439926412' post='2846867']
To clarify Lord Sausage, where I used the term flashy in my description, it is not saying that a bass player can't be the main focal point of the band, or the one playing the most interesting complex flashy (in a good way) licks. I'm not saying a bass player should be the boring person who stands at the back playing roots (or 3rds if feeling adventurous). What I am saying is that if a bass player spends his time just wanting to show off flashy (or pick another adjective) skills, to the detriment of the band or the music they're playing, then they really need to be asking themselves 'am I doing my band / the music justice'.

If you can play all the licks and still keep the feel of the music then more power to you. It's great seeing it being more and more commonplace for bass players to be stepping forward. My point was merely, better to be solid than someone playing flashy licks who can't get through a set without screwing up because they haven't got the basics sorted. If you can be solid and dependable and get through a set without any screw ups, then go ahead and be flashy and solid at the same time. Even better! But just being flashy, yet unable to remember when you transition into a chorus / bridge / middle 8 or what order the chords are in, is the wrong way round and wrong priorities for any musician, but especially a bass player.
[/quote]
Yea but if you are being flashy and screwing up, then you aren't being flashy you are being sh*t!

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1439919500' post='2846802']
Someone once said to me that they hadn't really noticed my playing until I stopped for a bar or two, and then the arse fell out of the whole tune. I couldn't have asked for more, really.
[/quote]
So you were happy that the arse fell out of the whole tune?
And it only took two bars of non playing to do that, for my band i would have been gutted!

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1439986169' post='2847250']
You can call my playing solid every day of the week. I'm also very happy to be 'anonymous' in the mix.
I'd describe James Jamerson as busy but also solid - not a single note of his playing didn't fit the music.
[/quote]

That's not busy. :D

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1440010391' post='2847589']
Yea but if you are being flashy and screwing up, then you aren't being flashy you are being sh*t!
[/quote]

I think what we have is a difference as to how we have been brought up to use the term flashy. I guess for me it has always carried that feeling of being a bit showy off regardless of the result. I guess I view it as flashy and good or flashy and pants.... :) I think it just comes down to how you were taught that word when you were little. I'd agree if you are being flashy and rubbish, then you are rubbish and look like a monumental tit. If you are flashy and holding it down solidly, then your are just an awesome bass player!

I'm chuffed to little beanstalks for me and my playing to be called solid.
My attitude to the bass I play in the bands I play with is only to become noticeable when I actually stop playing.
Finn Dave just beat me to it. Bu88er.
For me it would be a compliment.

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1440017071' post='2847678']
I think what we have is a difference as to how we have been brought up to use the term flashy. I guess for me it has always carried that feeling of being a bit showy off regardless of the result. I guess I view it as flashy and good or flashy and pants.... :) I think it just comes down to how you were taught that word when you were little. I'd agree if you are being flashy and rubbish, then you are rubbish and look like a monumental tit. If you are flashy and holding it down solidly, then your are just an awesome bass player!
[/quote]

pointless being flashy and pants, ..as the poster says, that is just being crap. But flashy for flash sake isn't great either.
You just want to be a class above really. Trouble is...you can't decide..you have to be endorsed, as it were.

Which is why it depends who is saying it.

Last night at my gig I thought I'd test this theory out. I dropped all my syncopated Jamerson lines and just played the basic riffs. (It was a Soul/motown gig). And you what? I really enjoyed playing - I could focus on the groove and locking in more which can be just as enjoyable as playing flash. Although I have to say I got a bit bored and just went for it on the last 3 songs!