Why become a member? ×

Schroeder cabs get new UK distributor

sharkboy

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1439907565' post='2846659']
It wasn't so much whether it would fall apart but the quality of the finishing where it wasn't visible - ragged holes in baffles, that sort of thing.
[/quote]

Ahh... I've not looked inside mine. Though the interior of my 1212L was acceptable as I remember. Obviously not finished to the same standard as the exterior, but then why would you? Function is all. I suppose you could level the same criticisms at Schroeder finishing as some people do at Barefaced, but it doesn't bother me. I don't listen with my eyes, and nor do punters.

I get the impression the newer ones are finished to a higher standard, but as I haven't seen one in the flesh yet, I couldn't tell you. Come to think of it, that's a great excuse to buy a new Schroeder cab - to see (and hear) what it's like. ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439843915' post='2846244']
Good news and bad news too! I already have a Schroeder cab, but have been repelling further Schroeder GAS quite successfully as they were relatively difficult to get hold of. Now this has put very great temptation my way... thanks for the link. ;)
[/quote]

Dont worry Mark,. i was also going to put temptation your way very soon so you cant get away from it ;-)

IIR over on TB there was a discussion about a small batch that went out that were made of a cheaper wood and all manor of things were going wrong with them. Luckily mine is a bit older and is holding up very well. In fact my 1212L is the first cab ive ever had a cover for.
I started off with a 1210R and if it had been a lightweight version i would still have it, but even though it was a compact cab it was still on the heavy side.

This is from a few years ago.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1439981126' post='2847185']
Aha, found one of the references, and it was on BC: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/53995-schroeder-cabs-issuesforgotten/"]http://basschat.co.u...ssuesforgotten/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for posting, I remember that thread. :) As the OP says it was very likely a Friday afternoon job and it did get sorted out pretty quickly. And it was six years ago. I suppose I am by definition a bit of a Schroeder fanboi as I do like the product, but I don't want to come over as an apologist/promoter for Schroeder as I have no affiliation to, or interest in the company. As always, I can only post my own personal experience, which is that the two Schroeder cabs I've owned have been brilliant in every way and suit me perfectly. Obviously YMMV and other products are available.

There are going to be problems with the output of any manufacturer, nothing is ever 100%. I don't know why, but it seems that small 'boutique' companies are often singled out for quite virulent treatment on forums when their products are less than perfect (see the many Barefaced threads in this place), compared with a large manufacturer such as Ampeg, but then advertising is a powerful (and expensive) tool and brand perception and awareness is king. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439982283' post='2847199']
Thanks for posting, I remember that thread. :) As the OP says it was very likely a Friday afternoon job and it did get sorted out pretty quickly. And it was six years ago.
[/quote]

Yes, looking back at my first post on the subject, I did say it was for the older generation cab but should perhaps have made it clearer that I wasn't implying that the new ones would suffer from poor QC. I suspect they went through a bit of an iffy patch. It does also seem that the customer service was good where there were faults.

Haven't used a Schroeder myself, it was one I've considered and I don't think I was put off by the reports.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1439984145' post='2847226']
Haven't used a Schroeder myself, it was one I've considered and I don't think I was put off by the reports.
[/quote]

There's really only one course of action, in that case... get hold of one and use it at a gig. :)

• 2 years later...

Just been looking on the Schroeder site . . nice gear.

Does anyone know what's the difference between the cabs suffixed "L" and the ones suffixed "PL" ?

They all look the same . . they cost the same . . and the specs are the same . . I'm obviously missing something that's blindingly obvious . . and I know I'm gonna feel stupid when someone tells me ! . . ha !

thanks

:$

• 3 weeks later...
On February 9, 2018 at 13:31, Nostromo said:

Just been looking on the Schroeder site . . nice gear.

Does anyone know what's the difference between the cabs suffixed "L" and the ones suffixed "PL" ?

They all look the same . . they cost the same . . and the specs are the same . . I'm obviously missing something that's blindingly obvious . . and I know I'm gonna feel stupid when someone tells me ! . . ha !

thanks

:$

PL stands for Punch Line series. I have a Schroeder PL 2x10 and it does indeed punch. The L stands for light. There is a weight difference between some of the cabs designed PL and L (for example the PL 12 and the 12L) and sometimes there is a difference in the size of the cabinet. His lighter weight speakers are generally around five pounds lighter than their heavier counterparts, but I believe all his cabs are built to be considerably lighter than other makers' of the same speaker size and wattage. Fabulous speakers.