Why become a member? ×

Limelights

thebassist

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1439851515' post='2846316']
But why sell it? That spec is really good.
[/quote]

well, it seems he wants a 4-string Precision or a Stingray...

There are a lot of reasons people sell their basses, amps, pedals etc here. Being crap is not usually one of them. GAS is a fickle animal ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1439895301' post='2846504']
There are a lot of reasons people sell their basses, amps, pedals etc here. Being crap is not usually one of them. GAS is a fickle animal ;)
[/quote]
This. Up until recently I had a Status 5-string. I'd had it for donkey's and it was a great bass, a real looker and sounded superb, I loved it. Guess what? I sold it. Not because it was crap, but because I fancied a change and needed a few bob. So I bought something cheaper that I'd had my eye on (a V7). I wasn't the first to do such a thing with a long-owned and cherished instrument, and I certainly won't be the last. As mac says, GAS is a [i]very[/i] fickle mistress. :lol:

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1439896084' post='2846511']

This. Up until recently I had a Status 5-string. I'd had it for donkey's and it was a great bass, a real looker and sounded superb, I loved it. Guess what? I sold it. Not because it was crap, but because I fancied a change and needed a few bob. So I bought something cheaper that I'd had my eye on (a V7). I wasn't the first to do such a thing with a long-owned and cherished instrument, and I certainly won't be the last. As mac says, GAS is a [i]very[/i] fickle mistress. :lol:
[/quote]
You sold a Status for a Sire?!

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1439905140' post='2846633']
Yep.
Got so much GAS still for an unlined fretless P since I discovered the YouTube vids of yours WOT, so much that I'm going to get an ebony board fitted on my Squier P5... Crazy? Who cares! (all your fault though )
[/quote]

Mwahahahahahaaaaaaa

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1439750145' post='2845478']
I bought my Limelight last July. Mark was fantastic with his service, communication and the execution of the instrument is top notch. It's done lots of gigs with me since, always gets loads of excellent comments from punters about its looks and sound and it plays better than any Fender I've ever had my hands on.

I do seem to be in the rare few who haven't sold it on yet. I do not intend to willingly sell mine anytime soon!
[/quote]

Still got mine too Skej. Is it too reliced for my taste...a bit. Did I have a problem with the saddles, yes, but easily sorted. Why do I still have it....because it's the best sounding jazz I've ever had, and ive had a few. I'm not one for trends, (don't mention Sue Ryder though) and only got it because I couldn't find a fender RW at the time but so far I'm happy with the choice. Will I sell it...at some point I may because I'm never satisfied.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1440021714' post='2847729']

Still got mine too Skej. Is it too reliced for my taste...a bit. Did I have a problem with the saddles, yes, but easily sorted. Why do I still have it....because it's the best sounding jazz I've ever had, and ive had a few. I'm not one for trends, (don't mention Sue Ryder though) and only got it because I couldn't find a fender RW at the time but so far I'm happy with the choice. Will I sell it...at some point I may because I'm never satisfied.
[/quote]

I used to think I was never satisfied until I got my limelight. Sold my other precision a and wouldn't look beyond it now. There was a VERY brief moment when I considered selling it just to fund/try a maruszczyk just to see what all the hype was about but then realised that at BEST id only like it as much as my limelight and if I liked it less, it would be a lot harder to replace the limelight! So I resisted the hype and it's staying. I put my money into some mods on an existing bass and a 5 string ACG build instead!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1439677079' post='2844986']
so why sell it?
im sorry but this is the bit i dont get :unsure:
[/quote]

As others have said - it's all due to GAS
or due to the owners already having too many basses
I very nearly bought one last year, and really kicked myself for not picking it up when it was available

The owner at the time loved it too, but it didn't quite fit the sound & look of the band he was in
He had GAS for another bass, which did fit that bands' sound & look, he has a family & limited space
so the Limelight had to go - I could tell he'd have kept it if he had the space & money to do so
It was a stunning bass....

Besides, we've surely all sold a bass, because we want something else we have convinced ourselves is even better
I know I've got rid of a few I later wished I'd kept - no matter what the brand....

Sometimes we don't realise just how good an instrument is, until after we've sold it
Honestly, I'd love a LL Jazz, in shell pink - but I love my Fender RW Jazz so much
So what do I do?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd agree - I have two, a P-Bass & a Jazz, both are superb & the best "Fenders" I've played. Mark is a lovely guy & I've dealt with him a few times.

But I agree with the GAS sentiments on here - and I've sold a lot of beautiful basses (Vigier, Fender, Gibson, etc) quite simply because I've needed the money!

The idea of a custom build for the price is the attraction I think, but I have questioned like DarkHeart (and asked, actually) how come so many are coming back onto the marketplace, often very quickly, after such glowing feedback. I do believe from the reviews I've read and the pictures I've seen that the basses are fantastic and being the owner of a Roadworn P, I know how good these fender instruments can feel when they are 'worn-in'. Needless to say though they are 'parts' basses so options are limited- if Mark could have supplied me with vintage correct 7.25" fretboard radius and my preferred nut width I may have been tempted. As it is, I'm paying several hundred pounds more to have the exact spec I want from Bravewood, where the bass will be built entirely from scratch and local to me.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1441230247' post='2857191']
The idea of a custom build for the price is the attraction I think, but I have questioned like DarkHeart (and asked, actually) how come so many are coming back onto the marketplace, often very quickly, after such glowing feedback. I do believe from the reviews I've read and the pictures I've seen that the basses are fantastic and being the owner of a Roadworn P, I know how good these fender instruments can feel when they are 'worn-in'. Needless to say though they are 'parts' basses so options are limited- if Mark could have supplied me with vintage correct 7.25" fretboard radius and my preferred nut width I may have been tempted. As it is, I'm paying several hundred pounds more to have the exact spec I want from Bravewood, where the bass will be built entirely from scratch and local to me.
[/quote]

Think you answer a lot of the questions here C, if I'd had £1500 I might have gone for a Bravewood but it was more than I wanted to pay for a fashion statement/foray into relics. As it is the bass has surprised me, and a few bassist friends regarding it's playability and sound. The stock parts suit me fine so paying a lot more for more period correct stuff like the fretboard radius would have been wasted on me (my current basses are all over the place on radius/width so it doesn't really bother me).
On the Numbers coming into the market place I can only think it's the normal 'emperor's new clothes' jobbie, and People buying on a whim and repenting at leisure.

Edited by martthebass

Would love to try/own a Limelight. I really love the looks, I think hardcore relic is so cool.
Owned a Relicmaster in the past. Great bass, played and sounded fantastic, but the relic wasn't that convincing.
Also owned a hardcore relic Sandberg. Great looks and playability, but missed something soundwise.
Maybe Limelight has it all for me.
Wonder what pups they use...

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1441302399' post='2857790']

Think you answer a lot of the questions here C, if I'd had £1500 I might have gone for a Bravewood but it was more than I wanted to pay for a fashion statement/foray into relics. As it is the bass has surprised me, and a few bassist friends regarding it's playability and sound. The stock parts suit me fine so paying a lot more for more period correct stuff like the fretboard radius would have been wasted on me (my current basses are all over the place on radius/width so it doesn't really bother me).
On the Numbers coming into the market place I can only think it's the normal 'emperor's new clothes' jobbie, and People buying on a whim and repenting at leisure.
[/quote]

I think you're right, my initial foray into relics was more to do with feel and playability though- as a fashion statement I couldn't care less, but having played a worn-in feeling Fender bass for me, there was no way back.

In Bravewood I can get a local builder (Cornwall) to make me the exact spec I require, from a few bits of wood exactly as Leo would have done, which represents better value for money for me personally than a Limelight.

The other thing which put me off, so to speak, is knowing I could attempt to assemble a bass from the same parts as Limelight and finish myself to save costs. I couldn't do that with a Bravewood.

On the whole though, I think they represent amazing value for money considering what you get. I trust in my fellow basschatters that they feel as good as they look.