Why become a member? ×

Limelights

thebassist

I put in an order for a LL a while ago. When it was finished the relicing was way more heavy than the light that I'd asked for and I had my deposit returned. The bass that I had built was bought and has been up for sale here at least once (maybe twice). I'm glad I didn't go forward with it on reflection. They may well be nice basses, but they are just parts-bin builds and unremarkable in that fact. I think this is reflected in how quickly people move them on. I do think we get whipped-up about the latest thing, which IMHO seems to be [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maruszczyk gear ATM. I wonder how long it will be before a glut of them appears in the marketplace?[/font][/color]

The thing with Limelight is that they're meeting a demand in the marketplace. If you want a certain-spec bass, with a particular level of relic'ing that appeals to you, for a reasonable price, there's just nowhere else to go.

As for Marusczcyk, I just find them remarkable. If there's another builder who can compete with them, I don't know who they are.

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1439659537' post='2844779']
How come there are so many Limelights for sale when the owners say `its the best bass ive owned` thats always baffled me.
[/quote]

To an extent that always happens - a few people like the thing, big it up give a buzz about something and then folk sell them on when they realise they aren't the be all and end all of stuff. I always try and gauge the amount of hype - the amount of buyers - the amount that go up for sale - how quickly the sell and then if they come up again.

Purely based on that Limelight seem not to be that loved comparatively, we'll see how Maruzczyk does in the future.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1439731478' post='2845272']
The thing with Limelight is that they're meeting a demand in the marketplace. If you want a certain-spec bass, with a particular level of relic'ing that appeals to you, for a reasonable price, there's just nowhere else to go.

As for Marusczcyk, I just find them remarkable. If there's another builder who can compete with them, I don't know who they are.
[/quote]
ACG...

It's hype. You'll be on something else next year.

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1439677079' post='2844986']
so why sell it?
im sorry but this is the bit i dont get :unsure:
[/quote]
I'm not sure either. I've been close to selling a few of my basses that I like a lot. It's always been a close call between one bass and another and for various reasons. Sometimes I think about selling either my 81 tokai P or the limelight p because I feel like maybe I don't need 2 precision, but I haven't gone through with it yet. But anyway, I guess im saying the reasons could be anything.and it doesn't have to be about the quality of the bass. I think for some people there might be an element of liking the look of a relic but feeling like a fraud holding one, and people going 'oh wow how old is that' and you're like '2014'. I've experienced that, I just say I'm a pretentious c***, sorry.

I bought my Limelight last July. Mark was fantastic with his service, communication and the execution of the instrument is top notch. It's done lots of gigs with me since, always gets loads of excellent comments from punters about its looks and sound and it plays better than any Fender I've ever had my hands on.

I do seem to be in the rare few who haven't sold it on yet. I do not intend to willingly sell mine anytime soon!

Do you remember a few years ago there were always adverts up on eBay for what alluded to be parts of 'Signature' branded basses...generally Jazz and Precision parts. I had a brief exchange with Dudepit/Steve Barr who said the original run of Signature guitars had some financial backing (in a small way) from Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee, but the company went bust leaving a flood of parts finding their way onto eBay. I had no reason to doubt this. Why do I mention this? Rush have a song called Limelight.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1439750297' post='2845482']
Do you remember a few years ago there were always adverts up on eBay for what alluded to be parts of 'Signature' branded basses...generally Jazz and Precision parts. I had a brief exchange with Dudepit/Steve Barr who said the original run of Signature guitars had some financial backing (in a small way) from Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee, but the company went bust leaving a flood of parts finding their way onto eBay. I had no reason to doubt this. Why do I mention this? Rush have a song called Limelight.
[/quote]

Yep - Alex plays one of those Signatures on the Hold Your Fire tour. The Signature parts that appeared on Ebay were nowt to do with those, though. It was just a bit of creative marketing..

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1439731478' post='2845272']

[/quote]

To what extent do you think you're a trend setter? Much power to install GAS comes from being a highly regarded and respected forum regular.

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1439757485' post='2845578']

To what extent do you think you're a trend setter? Much power to install GAS comes from being a highly regarded and respected forum regular.
[/quote]

I'm not a trendsetter. I just like finding out about great stuff that's a bit off-the-radar (Limelight, Maruszczyk, TKS). And then I enthuse about it (or not, if I don't like it).

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1439757978' post='2845587']
I'm not a trendsetter.
[/quote]

Not sure if it matters whether [i]you[/i] think you are :P

Anyway, it was merely an inaccurate/misused figure of speech. I, for one, greatly appreciate your reviews/opinions (and many other's) - including on these and the Maruszczyk's).

Edited by TheButler

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1439767226' post='2845662']
I, for one, greatly appreciate your reviews/opinions (and many other's) - including on these and the Maruszczyk's).
[/quote]

Make that 2! Between WoT, discreet and Walbassist I'm all GASed out...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1439757978' post='2845587']
I'm not a trendsetter. I just like finding out about great stuff that's a bit off-the-radar (Limelight, Maruszczyk, TKS). And then I enthuse about it (or not, if I don't like it).
[/quote] I dunno, I think if you hadn't raved about a walkabout for years I wouldn't have gone to find one to listen too (and buy)

Mind you I think Warwickhunts love of thunderfunk led me to want one of them... years later when I did buy one I hated it! (luckily Warwickhunt had sold his so I could sell him mine.... )

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1439739602' post='2845363']
ACG do fairly trad looking Fender shapes?
[/quote]

The closest is the J-type:

[url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/basses/j-type/"]http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/basses/j-type/[/url]