Why become a member? ×

Limelights

thebassist

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1439630573' post='2844494']
I've done a search on the forum and understand that people are very happy with them. I also read that Mark doesn't do sunburst. Does anyone have a Limelight bass that isn't aged though?
[/quote]
I've done a search on the forum and understand that people are very happy with them. I also read that Mark doesn't do sunburst. Does anyone have a Limelight bass that isn't aged though?
[/quote]
[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1439639089' post='2844576']
What is the average cost?
[/quote]

Why dont yoiu ask him?

[/quote]

I don't think he does them.

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1439648289' post='2844663']
I emailed him now. I hope he does - im not a fan of the fake aged thing. I respect how difficult it must be etc but it's not for me.
[/quote]

If he doesn't do non-relics, I strongly recommend you chat to Adrian at Maruszczyk...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1439648696' post='2844665']
If he doesn't do non-relics, I strongly recommend you chat to Adrian at Maruszczyk...
[/quote]

+1

Maruszczyk also do some kind of relic ones, from what I've seen... although I have to say they don't look as "real" as the Limelights. On the plus side, the saddles and other functional parts still work ;)

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1439659537' post='2844779']
How come there are so many Limelights for sale when the owners say `its the best bass ive owned` thats always baffled me.
[/quote]
[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1439663976' post='2844842']
Every bass/amp/pedal ad on here says that...
[/quote]

That, and GAS!

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1439663976' post='2844842']

Every bass/amp/pedal ad on here says that...
[/quote]

Yea I don't know.. I think it's proportionate to the amount of people now buying them compared to a year or so ago. Also yea, gas and human nature. I got 2 and I like them. I can't say for sure if I will favour a different one of my basses at some point and sell a limelight on, but I love playing them and they are great instruments.

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1439674751' post='2844953']
Nah im sorry I dont agree, if they were that good you wouldnt sell them simple as, there must be something that makes people want to sell them. Id love a YOB Jazz (but i cant afford a 66) this was probably my only option but why do so many get sold on?
[/quote]

Ever tried one? Me neither.

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1439677079' post='2844986']
so why sell it?
im sorry but this is the bit i dont get :unsure:
[/quote]

It's all in the Limelight threads if you do a search.

I was on the hunt for an old P.

I happened across a Limelight J, and it was marvellous, so I bought it. I was so impressed, I really wanted a P, so I sold it to pay for one.

In the meantime, I got a chance to spec my dream bass from another builder at a price I could afford, so I did that instead.

If Limelight did P's to the exact spec I wanted, I'd probably have a couple of 'em now.

As I don't own one, and I don't have one to sell, I don't need to be a fanboi. Quite simple"y, they're just excellent basses for great prices, and it's nice to have 'em out there on the market.

The reasons for selling on may be GAS, as there`s always a better bass round the corner waiting to be bought, or that people find that no matter how much they like them, they`re not Fenders. Don`t know about that last part for anyone else, but that`s what would be going round in my head.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1439715539' post='2845116']
The reasons for selling on may be GAS, as there`s always a better bass round the corner waiting to be bought, or that people find that no matter how much they like them, they`re not Fenders. Don`t know about that last part for anyone else, but that`s what would be going round in my head.
[/quote]

In my case, it was pivotal in making me realise Fenders aren't the be-all and end-all.

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1439677079' post='2844986']
so why sell it?
im sorry but this is the bit i dont get :unsure:
[/quote]

I have never sold a bass that I thought was no good, but I have sold them to make way for one I wanted more at the time. This includes at least one that I now kinda wish I had back!

People sell all kinds of terrific basses on here, for all sorts of reasons, and it doesn't automatically mean that those basses aren't good, great, or terrific.

Edited by JapanAxe

I'm sure they are fantastic basses, but I feel that us basschatters do seem to stir up a frenzy in each other about new and exciting brands that pop up. See also the Sire threads for instance.
I'm sure that once the excitement about acquiring the new must have has subsided, a few folks think - don't need it after all, now I need.. This, instead!! 🙌 ...
I think it's just the thrill and cycle of gas taking place and not any "catch" regarding Limelights in particular.
(I still "need" a Limelight P that looks like Discreet's old Limelight J, and this coming from someone who only plays 5ers.. I rest my case!)

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1439720166' post='2845163']
I'm sure they are fantastic basses, but I feel that us basschatters do seem to stir up a frenzy in each other about new and exciting brands that pop up. See also the Sire threads for instance.
I'm sure that once the excitement about acquiring the new must have has subsided, a few folks think - don't need it after all, now I need.. This, instead!! ...
I think it's just the thrill and cycle of gas taking place and not any "catch" regarding Limelights in particular.
(I still "need" a Limelight P that looks like Discreet's old Limelight J, and this coming from someone who only plays 5ers.. I rest my case!)
[/quote]

:lol: I'm sure there's a bit of that too!!!
That's probably what pushed me towards TKS and Maruszczyk, for instance (two brands I doubt I'd know about if it weren't for BC!). That's not to say it was a mistake. The TKS cabs are very cool even if I'm not in love with them 100%. But the Maruszczyk is just fantastic. I was tempted by Limelight too, but I prefer to do my own careless relicing accompanied with suitable swearwords ;)