Why become a member? ×

Les Paul Guitars - Takeover!

spongebob

Is it just me, or do you find that the Les Paul is the most dominating guitar tone around?

I've never had problems playing in a band with Strats and Teles, but I always find the old LP has a habit of taking over! Our guitarist used to play a Tele, now a LP through a Marshall stack.Once was in a band with two of them!

Found that P-bass sits in well, anything else gets a bit lost in the mix. I always find the tone a bit like a sledgehammer, going over everything.

Old band had a Strat player, always sound really well balanced. Maybe it's me, but I'm not a fan of the Les Paul! :(

Depends what they're going through. One guy I knew put a lovely R59 through a Tiny Terror and a 2x12; despite much knob tweaking it only ever produced a fuzzy mush that was completely lost in the mix.

On the other hand, a good Lester through a grumbling JMP Mk2 or a Bluesbreaker can exert disproportionate control over proceedings :)

Our guitarist uses a Les Paul, it is perfect for a rock / pop covers band, I used to play rhythm guitar in the band before shifting back to bass, so I used either a strat or a Gretsch with P90's so as to sit in a different sound area to the Les Paul, it worked perfectly.

Recording wise, the Les Paul is my go to guitar...it just works for me.

I think it is with good reason that it is one of the most iconic guitars ever built

For how to use a Les Paul in a guitar / bass / drums line up look no further than Vintage Trouble.
Great band, who use their instruments perfectly to make a wonderful noise - the
Les Paul sits so well with the bass and drums without overpowering things.

One metal band ( mercyful fate), used to have 1 guitard using a stat ,and then other a les paul. Brilliant !
Nowadays , it's a different ball game surely . Does it matter with all the other brands out there like,ibanez etc.
I love the sound of the evh/ satriani/ macalpine etc. I thought that the settings of the,pedals had a lot to do with it.

Then again I'm not a guitarist :)

It's all a bit vague, but the last time I played with a Les Paul wielding guitarist was 1978. Gold top with humbuckers through a WEM 100watt PA Amp plus Sound City 4x12 if I recall correctly - with no pedals.

I think I was using a sunburst Precision through Hiwatt 200 and 2x15. Drummer had a white 26" Rogers kit.

It all sounded very good.

Depends on music genre as well. At the weekend I saw many bands with Les Pauls into the provided Marshall full-stacks, but due to it being punk, that was the right sound. Helped of course by many Pecisions into Ampeg 810 stacks.

I think it depends on how many guitarists you have... If it's just one then they can generally get away with a bassier fuller sound but if you have two then at least one of them needs the cut and clarity of single coils or it can all get a bit messy, especially if your playing heavier music with alot of distortion.

We've got 2 guitarists in my metal band - one has a Gibson Explorer into a JCM800 head (practically a second bass player) and the other has a G&L Telecaster into a 100 Watt Peavey head. Much more clarity from the 2nd guitarist. They work well together though, as we can always tell what each instrument is doing.

I play in one band where MacDaddy (of this parish) plays lead guitar alongside a slide player, so two guitars.

I think we sound way better, and I enjoy playing far more, when he uses his (thin and nasal) Flying V than when he borrows my cheap Les Paul at rehearsal.

In a 2-guitar band, one guy on a Les Paul can easily end up trampling all over the bass player's sonic turf.

I think from a bass players perspective (and purely my own opinion, of course) that when you play with a guitarist with a single coil guitar it leaves a clear demarcation between the sonic territories of the bass & the guitar which makes it relative simple to get a nice clear bass sound in the mix.

The increased mids range of humbucking guitars (PAF fitted Les Pauls seem to be particularly strong in the mids area) blurs the sonic territories together making it a little bit harder to get a distinctive bass voice in the mix. Its not a huge problem but I think it does require a little more fiddling with various controls to get right.

Going from a Tele to a Les Paul does seem a bit like going from one trebly extreeme to the mid-heavy other.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1439461415' post='2842998']
I think from a bass players perspective (and purely my own opinion, of course) that when you play with a guitarist with a single coil guitar it leaves a clear demarcation between the sonic territories of the bass & the guitar which makes it relative simple to get a nice clear bass sound in the mix.

The increased mids range of humbucking guitars (PAF fitted Les Pauls seem to be particularly strong in the mids area) blurs the sonic territories together making it a little bit harder to get a distinctive bass voice in the mix. Its not a huge problem but I think it does require a little more fiddling with various controls to get right.

Going from a Tele to a Les Paul does seem a bit like going from one trebly extreeme to the mid-heavy other.
[/quote]

Exactly! Well said in far better terms than I did! :)

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1439461946' post='2843004']
For me it's all about the player. Greg Koch gets a tone and plays in a style that leaves plenty of room for the bass...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL5UuukdnQY[/media]
[/quote]
He does leave plenty of space in his playing. Ironic that he almost never plays a Les Paul! Having already watched this clip countless times I wish he did more often. I doubt Fender would agree!!
When I play with 2 guitarists I always prefer one to not have a Les Paul.